Healthy sayings

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Gelsemium • Oct 14, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think we have all grown up hearing some healthy sayings, like for example, an Apple a day keeps the doctor away. How do you find this popular wisdom, any truth to it? Any sayings that you know that you want to share here?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can't out exercise a bad diet. That's my all time fave because everyone thinks exercise is the key and that's why everyone is still struggling with their weight. Your body can't be fooled. You can't eat cake and then run on a treadmill expecting your body to say "oooooooh, I thought it was cake! But she's running, so it must have been celery.. my mistake. Let me burn up all those calories for ya". Not happening. It's NOT just about calories in vs out. you replace every calorie you burn with your next meal.. they don't just go away forever lol. yet you can eat tons of calories from real foods.. the same amount of calories you eat of the processed stuff and still lose or maintain weight. That's why you need to eat for health. When you do, your body knows and likes and treats you well for it. You'll get back to the weight you're supposed to be at. Don't deprive it.. and eating processed foods is just another way to deprive it. It wants food.. that's all it wants. Stop trying to trick it and just feed it. Real foods.. it's that simple.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most of those sayings, the knowledge they try to impart is applied in someone's life, can be truly helpful. The sayings I like best are those that firmly state that your mental health matters most. If your mind is pure and you have the ability to control it, then you'll have more control over your life and [you'll] will be more healthy because you'll make the right decisions all the time.

Here's one great quote:

4. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Health is wealth. This is the only one I know. :)

Even if you have the most money in the world, but you are unhealthy, you won't be able to enjoy all your material possessions. So, always take care of yourself.

5. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I with you all, over the years I have heard a lot of them but the one that has stood out for me was one told to my grade 4 class(9-10 year olds). Here it is " Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise." In today's world the early to ed may be difficult but the saying still applies.

6. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    This is the one.

7. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's a really great one Josie and it's totally true, we can exercise a lot, but if we are eating poorly that won't get us anywhere. I am guilty of that, many times I exercise, get home and put a pizza in the oven haha, so I ruined it...

8. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    A wise man ought to realize that health is his most valuable possession. – Hippocrates

This is a quote that has always stuck with me, there is a reason Hippocrates was so important to the development of medicine.

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    A good diet is all that you would need: The rest is history. If you don't have time to exercise or if you don't like physical activity, but want to stay fit and healthy, then all that you would need to consider is a healthy and nutritious diet appropriate to your sedentary lifestyle. That being said that not just because the food is healthy, you could already eat as much of them as you would like. You would still have to control the amount of the food you intake.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I can't say I agree with that 003, but surely that a healthy diet is very important. Either cases, our body was meant to be exercise, we are not suppose to sit in the office all day, that is anti-natural, we just need to exercise our muscles.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually, he's correct. We do need exercise for every aspect of our health. A sedentary lifestyle can bring on any number of illnesses, so it's good to keep the blood flowing and our muscles working. Not that you need a gym for that, but I digress. For weight loss though, absolutely not and I'm actually going to look into where this started. Probably another gold nugget from the 50s.. such a misinformed time that most of our information about health comes from. Weight is about food. You put it there with food choices, you will get rid of it with food choices and I dare anyone here to try it for just a little while. Eat only what we're meant to and tell me you don't lose the access weight. Exercise is the health industries version of the doctor's prescription. It treats symptoms, doesn't cure. That's why everyone gains it back the second they stop moving or put something unhealthy in their mouths.. because it's not the answer. The answer is simple.. take away what put the weight there to begin with.

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Sure, both eat well and exercise well. ;)

We can also be more negative "Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway" haha, but this is a really pessimistic saying, no one wants to die healthy, but I prefer to see it as live healthy, death will come when the time is right.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL I like that one.. so true and why so many people just eat whatever they want anyway. Living like that though, you risk a life of pain and illness. Eating right may not give you a longer life (though it's far more likely to), but it lessens the risk of disease and a mass number of issues you'll have to live with until your last day. If that weren't a risk, I might not try so hard to stay healthy. If it was just about living longer, we can't prove that, so why bother... but I DO want to live comfortably and as healthy as possible. I see a lot of people doing exactly the opposite and they STILL go on about eating whatever they want haha.. "I'm doubled over all day long.. scaly, itchy skin, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, memory is crap, I'm grumpy as heck.. but I'm not fat, so bring on the deep fried everything!" LOL...

And why can't we edit past posts.. my spelling is awful when I'm not paying attention! lol..

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I feel like applauding everyone for really doing their research. They seem to have provided all the quotes I would have wanted to share on this thread. As a result, I find it better to do away with sharing a quote and just answer your initial query regarding the apple saying. Well, there is some degree of truth to that saying. I agree that apple is a powerful fruit by itself but apple alone will not be enough to ward the doctor off. You need other fruits and sources of nutrients to keep yourself healthy.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, don't worry about the spelling Josie, we can get you anyway... :) In fact, there are loads of saying about health because without health we don't live properly, it doesn't matter how rich we are, if we are sick we are in pain. :(

16. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very true. it's not hard to see why too. Even the greatest science doesn't have us figured out yet.. everything we do and eat and drink and breathe is affecting us in a bazillion different ways and we're all completely different.. the "rules" are just guidelines, not everything can be done the same way, but there are definite things we do that just don't work for the majority. We're like experiments lol.. we're awesome and frustrating all at once lol.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So true, we think we are allergic to some sort of food, but in fact it's all the chemicals in that food and in all foods mess up all our body... Here's another wise saying. ;)

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:

Nice one! It's very true. So many sick people out there, from skin issues, to gut issues, inflammatory and heart and other organ issues and nobody connects it to their diet at all. For some reason, everyone would rather wait till it happens and take pills to deal with the symptoms than find the cause and cure themselves or prevent it altogether. Silliness lol.

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I think this is something major, we try to save money when we buy food, but we forget that in the long run we spend the money we save on buying unhealthy foods on medicines and doctors, so I think we really should reorganize the way we eat.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    The ones I heard the most growing up was "health is wealth" and "laughter is the best medicine" which I guess would be some good guidelines to live by and it think at their doer they are very true. I don't subscribe to the idea that they can be taken literally as I think medicine is still much better at curing people than laughter but I think there is something to that saying that many people tend to ignore or forget.