Heard Of The New SMS Scam?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jul 12, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well it might not be that new but most people haven't had it used on them. It works like this:

You get a text message from someone you don't know notifying you that there's a problem with some account or whatever they might come with to grab your attention. Next, you're asked to call a toll-free number so that the issue can be fixed. Those who fall for this end up providing their account details and the scammer goes laughing all the way to the bank to get your money.

You can read more about it here:

#1Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  2. lionzfire122

lionzfire122Member

Threads:
    I have a hard time as it is just answering my phone. There's no way I would provide information over the phone. If by any chance I end up picking up a call and someone asks for me, right away I don't mention myself. I never respond to text messages if I don't know them either. I could see how older folks would fall for this. I hope it doesn't happen to someone who truly needs their money.

God bless, LIONZFIRE

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well there's always a sucker somewhere who'll fall for any old trick. I'm a scam-baiter. Anytime I get an email or text message I always call back just so I can waste the time of the scammers and try to get them to spend some money in order to steal from me.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Legit companies don't really notify you if you have a problem with your account. It's always the other way around, so I would be suspicious if I received that kind of text message. I sure won't give out any personal details or would I bother to call the said number that I should call, I'm not that gullible to fall for it.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for informing me on this one. I haven't heard of it yet, and hope I never will see anything like it on my phone. A while ago I got some strange message, and when I opened it, it said "congratulations to your new subscription". I deleted it, thinking nothing much of it, until a few hours later I got a message that all my prepaid phone credit has been used up. It took a lot of phone calls to find out what has happened. Eventually someone from my phone company helped me to get rid of this subscription that I never signed up for. Another scam.