Hearing Aids

Discussion in Life & Health Insurance started by writer811 • Aug 21, 2012.

1. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    Does anybody know of a health insurance plan that covers the cost of hearing aids? I have hearing problems and my hearing aids are very old. I cannot afford to get new ones by myself. Also, since insurance companies won't be able to deny coverage for preexisting conditions anymore once Obama's health care plan takes effect, does anyone know if they'll have to cover hearing aids too?

2. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    health insurance? probably not. or the benefit is so small relative to the cost that their might as well not be any.

BUT/AND -- you need to be tested for handicapped status by the school district you live in. If your hearing is so poor that you're considered handicapped, the school district is required by law to provide whatever support and assistance required for you to learn properly. That might mean hearing aids at no cost to your family.

3. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I had an answer for you regarding this. But if its any consolation what so ever I do feel your pain. I have bad vision and my eyeglasses are in bad shape. Unfortunately the health plan I am under will only cover kids being given new glasses not adults. So, here I am with eyeglasses that are more or less falling apart on me. Its not good to say the least. Sad thing is I don't have an answer or a solution for either of us.

4. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hearing aids are covered by the NHS over here in England. My grandad uses a hearing aid and he doesn't have to pay for it, although you could argue he paid for it through a lifetime of work, which is true. I'm not sure about free hearing aids in the US, though.