Heels?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Earthmama1 • Mar 3, 2014.

1. Earthmama1

Earthmama1Member

Threads:
    How high is too high for Heels? I am 4'11 so I usually wear around 5' heels. To me that is great and I absolutly love heels! They are a great addition to any outfit and can make almost anything look 100 percent better. I dont want to be looked at funny though, so what do you guys think?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Since you are quite short, 5 inch heels are great! I wish I could always use 5 or 6 inch heels, but I'm 5'8 so I can't afford to wear really high heels without looking like a giant! I usually go with 3 inch heels, 4 at the most. If I wear anything higher than that I feel weird with being taller than most people, specially taller than most guys!

3. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I think any heel makes your legs look better. 5 inch heels are a bit high for me, so I would go with less. When not wearing heels though, you can get a good "air" walking shoe that will add some height.

4. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I can only do up to 3 inches for my heels. Anything more than that is a killer already. I have also read many times that very high heels are not good for your spine so I really don't think it's worth the risk. I'm a rather petite girl as well and I think 3 inches is just the proportion.

5. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Don't take this the wrong way, but short women in super tall heels is actually a fashion no no. It is sort of like you are overcompensating for your height (which you are). I find that short women in super tall heels often look like little girls playing dress up.

As unfair as it seems, very tall women look the best in very tall heels. Think proportion. It is kind of like chunky women wearing really tight clothes OR really baggy clothes. Extremes on both ends never work.

I think for someone at or around 5' tall, a 3" heel is the highest you can go and still be taken seriously. If I was as short as you, I'd be afraid of that line that says "Street walker" you know?

Dress for your body. Wear things that fit. And embrace your size and shape - don't try to fake it.

6. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm also very short but I think 5 inch heels are a bit much. I end up feeling like I'm a midget on stilts instead of looking sexier, heh. I don't go any higher than 4 inches usually, and 3 is my preferred height. Everybody knows I'm short.... adding stilts isn't going to fool anyone.

7. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    5 inches is a little excessive, in my opinion. Especially if they are the chunky toed heels. Those can read a bit stripper and make it look like you're overcompensating for your height (or lack thereof.) :)

8. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    Bit harsh and slightly presumptuous , but I like your quote "extremes on both ends never work" and I agree. But I also think each to their own and as long as you are comfortable in your own skin then that's all that matters.

9. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    I'm about 5'6" so I don't go for heels that are too high in fear I will tower over all who I come across! (fee-fi-fo-fum) In all seriousness though, I feel like being able to wear larger heels is one of the benefits of being a smaller girl. However, I think the limit for how tall of heels someone should wear, comes from the simple concept of "can you walk in these shoes comfortably? I am not one of those beauty = pain types of girls in all honesty. For now I'll be just fine with my 3" heels!

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think 3 inches is the norm when it comes to high heels. I already am considered tall for most girls in my country since my height is 5'5", so I don't wear heels because I don't want to look taller than I already am.

11. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    5 inch heels? I hope that means the angle of your toes to your heel is actually lower than that. At 5 inch heels toes to heel, wearing your shoes like that for long periods of time can cause deformation in the bones of your feet and it can also cause other problems as you age.

The only time I 'let' my wife wear high heels above 2-3 inches is when she's being naughty. Otherwise, I prefer that she wear runners or low heels. Yes, she wants to be sexy at times, but her health is more important.

12. JuLovo

JuLovoNew Member

Threads:
    You're about an inch taller than me! You must have great coordination or had enough practice with high heels to be about my size and wear 5". The tallest I ever go is 4", but 9/10 times I'll be wearing 3". I can find some cute, comfortable 3" heels and walk around like I'm wearing flats. (It's personally tough to find cute stuff in my size: 5-6 women's.) Any higher and I kind of look silly trying to keep my balance. I remember wearing some heels above 3" (I think 5" but can't remember? I know tall) and I was able to walk in them comfortably. But I wore them a bit loosely one day and it took too much effort to walk naturally! It was during my graduation, so I couldn't find the right time to bend down and fix it... Luckily, I didn't trip, probably looked weird though, haha.

I personally believe that it's up to the person on how high they can go. If they can wear high, high heels and walk comfortably/naturally, then go for it. If you can pull of the look, go for it. If you just love to wear heels, no matter what, go for it! But if you have issues with wearing high heels, and admit to it, then there's no shame never wearing heels. Better to stick with what you're comfortable with to stay safe, rather than risk a broken foot/ankle.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think wear whatever makes you feel and look good. In my opinion there is no "too high" if you can carry yourself well. I am very tall, so I don't wear any heels, otherwise I will be taller than my boyfriend who is already a couple of inches shorter than me. Not that he minds, it's just that it doesn't feel great to me to have to bend down so far when I kiss him. :)