Help Me Pick A Desktop Computer

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Oct 14, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I find myself needing a Windows machine but I know next to nothing when it comes to hardware and the only feature I know to look at is RAM, and from what I understood from looking up some programs that I plan to install, the minimum amount of RAM I should have would be 4gb so I picked these out from the promos I came across.

1st option : $197

image.

2nd option : $201

image.

What I plan on installing on it:

• 3 Adobe programs,
    • Steam (only for 1 or 2 games installed at a time)
    • some emulators for recent consoles like PS2 and PSP
    • and maybe 1 or 2 music production programs

These are all the programs I'll need. I won't be using the computer for any other tasks at all.

You think any of these CPUs would do the trick? If so, which do you think is better? Or do you suggest I just use the $200 and build my own and possibly be able to come up with a slightly better result? Maybe I should spend more on a bit better specs? What do you guys think?

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Both options aren't going to be powerful enough to emulate PS2 games. That actually requires a pretty decent setup to work without major stuttering and lagging. You can't build a better machine than what you're looking to buy at the $200 price point. Either system would do fine for basic Steam games and every function you've mentioned EXCEPT emulating PS2 games. For that, you're going to have to spend a few hundred dollars more.

3. randomdude

randomdudeMember

Threads:
    You should possibly concider purchasing an all in one pc. They are compatible with almost any program and the options are limitless with the amount of ram you can upgrade to. Thats idf it doesn;t already come with enough ram to suit your needs. I have a dell all in one computer and that thing is unstopable. I have had it for almost 3 years already and I have not had any major issues with it since I have had it. The ram among other things are expandable and its great with any type of pc game or emulation software you can think of.

4. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    for about $400 you can build yourself an amazing desktop that can game flawlessly. You can build one on newegg.

5. vennybunny

vennybunnyMember

Threads:

This, in my opinion, is the best place to learn how to build your own PC. I would definitely give it a look. :)

In my experience, building your own PC would always come out cheaper than getting a pre-built one, except if you can buy a PC on sale.

Also, if you're on a budget, consider looking for AMD processors. They're usually cheaper. :)

6. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Definitely go ahead and build your own PC. You can build a fantastic desktop for like $400-$500 these days if you know the right parts to look for. As someone already mentioned, the computer prices and specs you posted won't be fast enough to play the games and emulators you want to use. So my recommendation would be to build it in parts and add the upgrades when you get a little more money to do so. All those $200 PCs will get you is a lot of frustration.