Helping Wildlife With Rainwater

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Jul 6, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We've talked a lot here about collecting rainwater, and uses for it. Catchment systems can be expensive. If you're not looking to contain it, but rather, to redirect it away from your house, which can keep water from seeping into your foundation and causing issues, you could also help wildlife out at the same time.

Here is a link that can help you design and create a backyard marsh, that will attract and sustain butterflies, and other creatures.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We were in the province last month where cattle seem to be everywhere. In one hill, we saw something like a big roof deck that is actually a catch basin for rain which is in turn stored under that roof deck and used for drinking water of the cattle. It was a very nice setup for a cattle ranch. But one thing that caught my attention is their style of ranching. The cattle have no corrals, they are just there in the hills fending for themselves.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess that's what is meant by the term free range cattle? It sounds good that the owners are able to utilize the rainwater for the cattle, as long as they know for sure there is enough of it, and the cattle won't run out. I'm sure they stay on top of it, but that's how my mind works. I always leave water out in the driveway, in case something happens along and needs a drink. I have more out back, so the stray cats can get to it in case they are thirsty, but need protection from predators. I love the idea of re-using something from nature to replenish the earth, or provide for ourselves or animals.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is a good idea to replenish the earth and help the earth. The rainwater capture is a way to keep the plants alive and the animals that depend on the grass and plants regrowing. The damage done by wild fires can be helped by containing rain water and redirecting it to place that have been destroyed.