Hiring or Buying a Wedding Dress

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Jennifer • Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Considering that wedding dresses are so expensive these days and you are probably only going to wear it once (we hope) would you hire a dress for your wedding? Or do you feel because it is such a special day that you would rather have your own unique dress either bought or made by a dressmaker, rather than wearing someone's secondhand wedding gown?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind buying one second hand and then tailoring it to my own needs. As for renting one that would need to be returned, I'd be afraid of it not fitting correctly and needing alterations. I don't have any desire for an insanely unique and personalized gown, though. Heck, I'd be happy in jeans instead...

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know what you mean by "hiring" a dress... you mean getting one custom made?

Personally, I bought a dress off the rack at the mall, and not even at a bridal store. It was technically a party dress, but it was white. I got it for fifteen dollars, marked down from twenty because there was a small but visible hole. I put a broach over the hole.

4. adriana2012

adriana2012New Member

Threads:
    I would never hire a dress for my wedding, for my special day I deserve a special dress made for me, a dress that I can keep and look at whenever I want to remember the most important and beautiful day of my life...

5. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    The dress was the most expensive thing in my wedding. I bought one second hand and had it altered. I probably would have been fine with a simpler dress but my mother insisted that I buy at least one special thing for my wedding. LOL! Handing down wedding dresses doesn't seem to be as popular as it once was. I will hang on to mine for as long as I can just because I paid $300 dollars for it but I don't think anyone in my family will want it. I don't have any kids and my nieces have several already to choose from between their mothers and their grandmother's.

6. rollybooz

rollyboozActive Member

Threads:
    Well I guess that really depends on whether you can afford having a new one made or not! If you're able to afford a new gown, by all means go for it! Buying a new gown would mean it is definitely going to be one designed just to suit you and tailored to your requirements. Being able to keep it for yourself would also allow you to revisit those pleasant memories years down the road so I guess it definitely is something that you should go for if you have the spare cash. However, if you're unable to afford a brand new one, second hand ones are just as good as long as you take the time to choose properly and get some minor alterations done. I'm sure no matter how you got your wedding gown, brides are always the prettiest on their wedding day!

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I don't understand all the hype about wedding gowns. Why would you spend so much money buying something you're only going to use one time?

8. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I recently got married 2 months ago and the best decision I made was to buy my dress on a budget. I gave myself a personal base budget of $500 because I knew I was only going to be wearing my dress for an hour or so before changing into a dinner dress. I had a really small intimate wedding with family only so the occasion didn't call for a ball gown. Luckily I found my wedding dress on sale. The base price was $699 but was on sale for $399! Score. With alterations for only the bustle my dress was $460 including alteration costs. I was really happy I got much use out of my dress. The day went so smooth I ended up staying in my wedding dress the whole day.

I discovered later, that people rent wedding gowns on their special day. Perhaps that's what you mean by "hiring" a dress? This can be a good option for you if your budget is very restrictive or your special day calls for special wardrobe changes. I have friend who's Chinese and his bride will be making 3 dress changes, so it makes practical sense to do a wedding gown /dress rental as opposed to spending thousands of dollars on three separate dresses and alterations for each dress on top of that.
    Secondhand is another good option. You never know, one person's "trash" is another person's treasure. A good quality cut dress never goes out of style and you can add your own special touches to personalize your gown to fit your style and look for your wedding day.

9. Tinee

TineeMember

Threads:
    If ever I'd get married in the future, I'd just probably design my own dress and hire someone to do it, but I won't get to keep it. It's like renting out a dress, but for a first-user basis. Generally it's more affordable and practical.

10. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    Since I have always wanted a beach wedding, my dress will be a simple white sun-dress or even a lilac one. Never been married before but I'm also one that is not conventional! However, if it's a wedding back home, then it'll be a traditional one where I'll be in a beautiful 'baju kebaya' - that, I will need to buy. I think my SIL rented hers, which was altered to perfection.

11. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    Buying or just renting a wedding dress will depend on the couple. If you were to ask me, I would buy my girl a new wedding dress. Better yet I would just let her go to a designer to go for a custom wedding dress. Wedding is one of the most special day for a couple and of coarse I want it to be special for my girl. Her wedding dress will be one of the memories of that day so she deserves to have the most beautiful one.

12. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    This is something that I would really invest on because I would want to pass it to my daughters as well. It could be a good family heirloom. I wouldn't consider renting but I'd definitely earn for it.

13. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    My husband thinks like you. He wanted to buy me a crazy expensive wedding ring. We're very poor people, though, and I had to convince him that it was not worth .the money. I'm much more interested in being married to him than I am in super expensive dresses and jewelry.

14. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I bought my wedding dress for my second wedding in a bridal sale, and I paid around £200 ($320) for it. It was a basic ivory crepe de chine gown with a chiffon knee length jacket, and I just had to have the bodice altered, which cost me a few pounds extra. Because it wasn't too ornate, I've been able to wear the dress and the jacket separately to three or four dinner dances since the wedding in 2000, so I really had my money's worth out of the dress, and it washes in the machine as well!

I would never have rented a dress, because I couldn't have relaxed in it. I'd have been worried about tearing or snagging it, or someone spilling something on it. That would have made for a lot of unnecessary stress.

15. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    That's really awesome, Sandra. You don't see many women who can re-wear a wedding dress except maybe on their 10th wedding anniversary to see if they can still fit into it. That's really awesome that you were able to wear it separately to various events. :)

16. melapie

melapieActive Member

Threads:
    I only had a very small wedding so I didn't need a very lavish gown. Although I still had a dress made specifically for me, because I had a baby bulge at that time. I'd say if you have the money go and buy one. Even if you're only going to wear it once, you're still going to use it at one of the most important events in your life. Then you can maybe past it on to a daughter/granddaughter when the time comes.

17. markhanah

markhanahNew Member

Threads:
    Purchasing wedding dress is very difficult task for every one. Here I get many useful tricks for buying wedding dress. As well as when we buying wedding dress we prefer great design, best fabric, latest style and many more.

18. weddingbands12

weddingbands12Banned

Threads:
    Yes, you are right purchasing wedding dress is very difficult task.

19. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I think that this is a sweet idea. I would love to have a dress custom-made for me because I think a wedding is really a precious moment. I agree that some people go too far and spend too much money, but to be honest, who am I to judge what people spend their own money on? If I made a dress, though, I, too, would try to pass it on to my daughter and try to make it an heirloom. However with different tastes and style trends, the original dress must be either very classic OR you would need to be truly ready to see your original dress get altered and made into a dress you no longer recognize. I think that a family heirloom idea is sweet, but not practical in person. Instead, I would try to get a classic dress that I could re-wear for other occasions or I could tailor it and get it altered after my wedding so it turns into a dress or skirt that I can wear.

20. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    Buying a wedding dress is definitely very expensive and spending so much for just a few hours is quite ridiculous. I don't think I'd hire a second hand wedding dress but I'm gonna get mine made by a dressmaker. I know this lady who designed and stitched a simply beautiful dress for my cousin's wedding and I'm quite keen on getting mine from her too.