Hobby Lobby

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Zyni • Feb 4, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What do you think of Hobby Lobby? We have a new one in the closest city to me. I think it's a nice store, and the workers are very friendly. Some of their sale prices are good, but I find some of their other stuff to be overpriced. I love walking through the store though. They have a great selection and cool stuff. I often get inspiration walking through there for things I want to make.

Do you have a Hobby Lobby nearby? Do you like it?

2. guineapigsandgardens

guineapigsandgardensMember

Threads:
    I love shopping at Hobby Lobby when I have the right coupons. Another trick is that they do price match (at least my local store does). With the coupons and the sales I have spent more than my fair share of time and money there. I recommend downloading the app if you have a smartphone. No need to keep up with paper coupons that way. Maybe one day they'll name a store after me!

3. meenz

meenzNew Member

Threads:
    I absolutely love Hobby Lobby. I go there at least once a month, whether I can actually buy things or not. This is one of the few stores in which I enjoy window shopping! Whenever I go I try to look for the best deals, and usually end up purchasing at least one thing.
    I also love how they have a mobile app that shows you what they have in stock! As if that wasn't enough, the app contains a personal coupon that you can use at any Hobby Lobby store. I think the discount you get is 40%? I'm not sure, that may be a bit much, but it's wonderful! You're already getting a great deal, and this coupon just adds to it.

4. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    I have a love/hate relationship with Hobby Lobby.

I have found it to be a great place for crafts / school teaching activities, etc.

But I have also been MAD at myself for buying poor quality items there :(

5. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, wow, I didn't know a thing about the app. Thanks so much for that info folks. I would enjoy 40% quite a bit. I may need to have a trip there this week after learning this information. ;)

I do love to "window shop" there. I don't think I'd buy any of the furniture (the quality to price ratio seems off to me), but it is really cute to look at.

I buy a few craft items now and then, especially since they have things I can't get elsewhere.

6. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a hobby lobby close to me, but I would love to go into one of their stores and check things out. I like all sorts of hobbies that have to do with arts and crafts, so I would love to see what hobby lobby has to offer.
    I guess it's a good thing that there isn't a store close by, because that's all I need, another place where I want to spend money, money that I don't have:)o_O:rolleyes:.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I refuse to shop there due to their companies shenanigans regarding health care and contraceptives. They are way out of their line thinking it's their right to dictate their employees personal lives like that. What an employee does with their earnings and the health care they choose to receive is up to them, not their employer. It's not Hobby Lobby's right to get between a patient and their doctor like that. They don't get to cherry pick what services and treatment a person can get, that is insane.

How would they like it if a non-christian based company told it's employees they were not allowed to donate money to churches. Religious conservatives would flip out and cry foul.

Plus, all their "decor" is a bunch of tacky Christian crap, I wouldn't want my house filled with crucifixes and bible verses on everything.

They're also incredibly hypocritical as a company, denying their workers access to contraception, but then they buy all their shit from China which imposes forced abortions on women.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I never heard any of that, Ohiotom. I'm a Christian, so I don't mind the seeing verses on things (though I really haven't seen much of that at the store near me). There seems to be a large selection of stuff for every taste, even some humorous things, so I don't know. I wasn't aware there were any healthcare limitations and such. Do you have a resource for that information?

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a very crafty person, but I know a lot of people in my family that like to shop there. They have some pretty neat decorations, if you are into that sort of thing. I think it's a store that mainly appeals to women. They definitely have a good reputation for how they treat their employees. And I certainly have no complaints from the few times I've been in the store. Everything seemed to be run well.

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It was all over the news last summer, I'm surprised you hadn't heard about it at some point:

It went all the way to the Supreme Court, and Hobby Lobby ended up winning the case, which is setting a very dangerous precedent, and may open the door to a lot of unintended consequences. This is allowing employers to discriminate against their employees based on their religion. Hobby Lobby is a for-profit business, not a church.

Do you think it would be fair if you worked for a company whose owners were Jehova's Wittness and wouldn't allow your insurance to cover a blood transfusion that you may need? Or if the company was run by Scientologists, who would not allow you to be covered for medication to treat your depression? The employees there earned their benefits, it's not Hobby Lobby's business to tell them what treatment they can seek with their physicians. That's like your employer forbidding you to use your money from your paycheck to buy an item they disapprove of for whatever reason.

11. Harmony Lassen

Harmony LassenNew Member

Threads:
    I go to Hobby Lobby all the time. I enjoy walking through there, even when I don't plan on buying something. I would have to say overall, they are very good for buying a lot of things and still spending little money. Often if I need lots of supplies for a project, I go here rather than other stores. Their products are good quality, and not too expensive. They also have a lot of cool furniture and decorations and things that are just fun to look at.

12. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    The only Hobby Lobby I've ever been to is where my sister-in-law lives, and as far as I know there are no Hobby Lobby stores near me. When I went in there (just to kill time more than anything else), it was kind of overwhelming as to how much stuff they had. The prices were really good and I think it's nice that they offer anything from complete DIY to "buy it as is and make your house look beautiful".

I can spend hundreds there :p