Holiday budget for kids?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by JessiFox • Dec 3, 2012.

1. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm wondering in general what everyone is comfortable spending on their kids for Christmas? Or if you'd rather not mention a price range, do you have a number of gifts you get them? I admit in the past we've tended to splurge a bit but we're really trying to save up now and have much less money this year than most, so we are trying to spend as little as possible. I really think the focus of the season gets too wrapped up in receiving gifts and toys for children to begin with, and so I'm happy about the shift of focus there.

2. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    This year, I will only be spending a small amount on my daughter for Christmas. I will be making her a quiet felt book that should cost me no more than $20 in extra supplies. My mother and sisters spoil her, so I know she will be getting more than she needs. If we did not celebrate Christmas with my family, I would probably spend a little more on her though. I tend to just buy her things she needs throughout the year, and I'm not too big on toys. I know some things will change as she gets older though.
    I agree that the focus should be shifted away from gifts. As she grows up, I would like to implement some traditions such as volunteering at a shelter and donating toys to those in need. I do not want her to think all Christmas is about is getting presents.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    We like to get one big thing for each and then a bunch of little gifts. I don't mean literal size either, but rather, one relatively expensive gift....or the thing on their list that they *really* want. That gift always comes from Santa. All the smaller, less expensive gifts come from us. We don't go overboard with that, but half of the fun of Christmas morning is getting to unwrap everything and play with a bunch of new stuff. Kids forget half of it a couple weeks later, though, so we focus mostly on the 'big' thing and make the rest less important/expensive.

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:

That sounds nice :)...it's always great when family can help out and spoil them a bit :p. I'm thinking of certain traditions like that too, we always do the angel tree and let our son help us with that, but I think it would be nice to do some hands-on volunteering, too. So far, he really loves giving back and is always open to new ideas with it, so I figure it's good to try and foster that a little more.

5. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    That's the kind of general model we follow, too. I've seen the "Something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read" model too and thought that was kind of cute when people ask what to get. I love that people want to get things for my son, of course, but he has SO many toys and games and could really use more in the need/read category sometimes. I agree it is an important part of Christmas, I just don't want that to ever be the only highlight.

6. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    Grandparents, aunt and uncles also tend to spoil my kids, so Santa mostly bring books, puzzles and craft supplies to our house. My kids always seem happy with whatever they get. Of course one is still at an age where boxes and paper are the best gifts.

7. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:

Well we don't do Santa in our house but same idea essentially. And those ages are the best...it's crazy how early they start wanting electronics and all that!

8. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    Once my wife and I have a child in a few years, we'll stick to $25 in total or from each of us. It doesn't make sense to spend a lot on your children, especially considering that they grow up and their interests change with time. A lot of the garbage is sold in stores today is entirely superfluous and unnecessary. Why does a kid need a $85 doll of Justin Bieber?

9. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think you should spend what you can afford to spend. It should be disposable income, not money you need to pay bills etc. I know many people who get into debt buying their children presents for Christmas. I'm not prepared to do that.

10. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I've seen that happen as well. It's a bit insane if your focus is so much on the gifts that you let it drive you into debt. I understand wanting your children to have a nice Christmas, but toning it down a bit may be better.

I don't have children yet, but I never got huge Christmases as a child. My brother and I each got a decent amount of gifts, but they were a mixture and never got anything too expensive. It was usually clothes, books, candy, and other small things like that. It kept us happy!

11. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    My kids are all older now but still like to have stockings filled with chocolates, small presents and candy canes. I usually get them one big gift for under the tree and also some cash. The amount I spend really depends on how much I can afford and still be able to pay the bills. We also try to have a really nice Christmas meal and donate what we can to charities. My kids grew up seeing me give change to the bell ringers, jars with paper labels in stores and to Veteran's with paper red poppy flowers. It is something that we do all throughout the year and then pick one charity at Christmas time to give to. This year we donated money to a local food bank. It seemed like the best way to directly help some families in our small town that we live in.

12. Albertharris

AlbertharrisNew Member

Threads:
    When Christmas comes many people arrange his budget for the kids. At this time most people are crazy and that's expense more than money to buy a different types of gift items. It's a really great time to buy your preferable product with a discount price rate. You don't need to buy a high expensive product but you need to buy regular product in your budget.