Home Automation

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Gelsemium • Jan 19, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Home automation is something that is already a reality to a growing number of families. I can't deny that it's an additional comfort, but at the same time I feel that it's still something expensive that most people can't afford. Where do you stand in what concerns home automation?

2. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    'Back in MY day ... that's what we kept the women for!' (I'm an "Ancient Poster" ... maybe I ought to say so in my signature :cool:)

It sounds like a good idea in theory, but "there's something about 'that human touch'"---like the cleaned room is more-appreciated if you know that 'a person WORKED to make it that way' rather than 'oh, the machine sweeps that up' (when it gets like 'your car's engine,' which cleans itself; right? ;))

3. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    Automated houses, good for convenience, bad for the wallet. There's the cost of buying it, maintenance, and other similar matters that at the end will be quite a hefty amount.

I'd rather to stay away from home automation, and I don't think anybody I know could buy such a thing.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I agree with what you say and I as I stated in my opening post, I feel it's for rich people. I mean, I'd love to get to my place, click something and my lights favorite setting be on, but at the same time I still have arms thank god, so do I really need that?

5. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I know, but the convenience is addictive. Fairly recently, you could leave your house without your cell-phone & just shrug it off and 'oh well, remember it next time'; now ... well, my mom started to drive me to the store one night, I told her I forgot my phone (when we were more than halfway-there); she had driven ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE HOUSE when I discovered it had just shifted so that I couldn't feel it in my pocket!

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Exactly, I was anti-cell phone like 10 years ago, but now I don't leave home without it, ever. It's pretty much insane how technology dependent we become, so I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of years we all have automated homes and have forgotten how to click a button.

7. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    I'd love to afford more home automation but unfortunately retro fitting such systems on already existing buildings is very expensive. These technologies will mostly go into new homes.