Home Depot Or Lowes? (or Other?)

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Diane Lane • Jun 25, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Do you tend to use one home and garden store more than another? If so, why?

The closest store to me is Home Depot, so I use them more. I've found that Lowes is prettier, and Home Depot is grittier, but when I've looked for certain products online, I've found that Home Depot seems to have the best selection. There are also an Ace Hardware and a local hardware shop that I shop at locally on occasion, that have things I can find at either Home Depot or Lowes.

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We don’t have a Lowe’s nearby, but we do have a Home Depot, three different Ace locations, and a local building supply shop reasonably nearby. Out of all of them, I tend to visit Home Depot the most. Selection is a big factor in that. Plus I love how spacious the place seems (slightly off-topic, but one of my favorite books recommended it as a good place to practice walking in heels… and pick up guys, haha). Our local shop is pretty nice as well, but I haven’t been there in years because Home Depot is in a more convenient location for me. Though I think the local shop either has a few specialty products, or better prices on certain things, because they’re still doing pretty well.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Home Depot always has coupon codes if you sign up to newsletters and on Ebates they have $5 off $50 plus 1% cashback. They also have coupons you can print out and I find they always have stock and are well priced.

It depends what you are looking for basic or fancy. Lowes does have more choice of styles, but Home Depot usually has more basics and can be cheaper if you have a project. I helped a friend find curtain rods for her house and Home Depot was the best because they had the choice and stock.

4. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    We only have a Home Depot and local building supply stores around here. Although I've visited the local ones I prefer HD for it's variety and spaciousness of the store. I don't use it just to buy stuff for the house though. Mostly I'm buying stuff to craft with. LOL I was already a frequent customer when my partner started working there. Now God forbid if I mention buying somewhere else. LOLOLOL

5. Diane Lane

Threads:
    I have a couple of different Ace retailers near me, as well. There's also a local hardware store that's affiliated with DoItBest.com, does anyone else have one of those nearby? You can order items online from a huge selection, and have them delivered free to your local affiliate, for pick up. I actually love that store, because the employees are really helpful. They gave me great advice when I was installing the refrigerator ice maker and chandelier, and are pleasant to deal with, as opposed to some really gruff and inattentive staff at the local Home Depot.

I was told by someone who deals with hardware stores a lot that Lowes is geared toward attracting women, and Home Depot toward attracting men, and that seems about right, since Lowes has a lot of pretty items and quite a variety of design/decorative type products, while Home Depot has the Contractor's entrance out front, and a huge selection of basic tools and hardware.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ace are also good, but they can vary and have less choice, but can give good advice. I don't mind Home Depot as it does seem more like contractors use it, so I know if it's good for them it must be okay. I do find they are also much better at giving advice rather than upselling, and will tell you the pros and cons of things. Also they can offer a cutting service or to mix paint for you in some branches. I'm not sure if Lowes does that, but that can save you time and money if you need something altered and don't have the tools or skill to do it.

7. Diane Lane

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo I might take advantage of those cutting services. Do you know whether they offer sharpening services? I'm considering buying a manual lawn tool, but don't have the equipment to sharpen it myself. I think the prices at Home Depot are pretty much the best I've seen. Ace has higher prices, but they do have a card program you can join to get discounts.