Home exercise equipment or bicycle?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Zyni • Oct 3, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Would you rather ride a stationary bike or a regular bicycle? I love being outside, so I prefer the latter. I also like to feel like I'm going somewhere instead of staying in one place. I suppose an exercise bike would be a better deal, since I could ride it all year long. I can't really ride my bike in the snow. I still prefer riding around out of doors though. Do you like biking for exercise? If so, which type do you prefer?

2. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I have a stationary bike that I use during the winter since I can't bike outside where I live. Western Pennsylvania doesn't have the easiest weather during winter, one day its summer weather and the next it's -1 with several inches of snow. Lovely.

I personally love biking for exercise since it works a lot of muscles at one time. If I need a really quick workout it's simple and effective.

I used to take spin classes at my local gym and a stationary bike gives me the same kind of workout at home, though I do prefer to ride my actual bike outside when it's nice. I get what you mean about not staying in one spot, I like to feel like I'm moving around and covering some area. That's part of the reason I like to run outside instead of a treadmill, though when the weather doesn't permit I use the treadmill.

Biking is one of the best exercises we can do for ourselves. A magazine I read had a story a year or so ago of a guy who lost over 100 pounds simply from biking. He couldn't run because of the pressure his weight put on his knees, or something like that. It took about six months or so but he lost a great amount of weight from biking, then he added in running/jogging/walking and other exercises.

3. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I would prefer both because it would different days I would feel different ways. When it's cold outside of course I would rather stay in, but when I want to be atmospheric, I would rather ride a real outdoor bike. If I had to ultimately choose, I would have to go with the indoor bike due to it being safer all around. Lastly, you can't really fall off of a sit in place bike. lol!

4. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do not like stationary bicycles at all. I would rather ride outside and vary my ride by going up and down hills to create my intervals. I bike to work all the time so I do quite a bit of riding. Something about stationary bicycles just makes them seem so much harder than real bicycling, no matter what setting I'm on. I think it is just the fact that it is boring and not going anywhere. Even watching TV I just don't have the mental endurance for that. Somehow treadmills are easier for me though, maybe because walking is a little more natural than biking.

5. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    I started riding an exercise bike in winter when I was 50 on my Doctor's recommendation in order to build muscle over my knees with the goal of reducing crippling pain in my knees. It worked too but by Spring I was sick to death of the exercise bike so I bought a department store mountain bike with 18 speeds. I figured I needed lots of really low gears until I built up stamina and muscle. Turned out I was in a great area for mountain biking (Farmington, NM) with miles of open back country to ride in. I really developed an enthusiasm for it so I bought a used top tier mountain bike and became a bit of an athlete building heart and lungs as well as iron legs. No more problems with my knees!

When we moved back to Canada, I continued to ride daily until my late sixties when I had to give it up because of loss of sense of balance. Now I ride a recumbent exercise bike every night in the back room for a half hour while I watch the news. The news, of course, makes me angry so I pedal harder working up a good sweat while I relieve my stress. I highly recommend it for mind and body.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's excellent, Timetrvlr. I get bored so easily on a stationary bike. Riding outside feels really to good to me though. I haven't been able to ride regularly due to injury, but I miss it. It is such good exercise and I love being out in the fresh air. Your story is quite impressive.

7. Timetrvlr

TimetrvlrMember

Threads:
    You're not alone, everyone gets bored on indoor exercise equipment. The only solution is to have some fascinating diversion like your favorite TV program or recording of Philip Sousa march music. I found a really unusual college gym in Farmington, New Mexico when we lived there. It was a free program in the evenings. There were a some 30 pieces of exercise equipment in a circuit with martial music playing. I would start at the beginning of the circuit and cycle in-time with the music, after fifteen seconds, we were told to switch machines and we had five seconds to do so then it would be 15 seconds on a rowing machine, and it would continue around the circuit. After thirty minutes of that, I was breathing heavily, sweating and my heart rate was up, great aerobic exercises and it wasn't boring. They had two circuits, one for the less fit and one for the very fit. There were always people there using the equipment.

Great place to go after work in winter when the weather was inclement.;);)

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I dislike stationary bikes, the fact that you don't move and motioning your whole body, makes my brain feel as if I'm moving and eventually I get dizzy. With mobile bicycling, I can move about anywhere I wish to go, so long as I have enough energy and some form of good liquid to quench my thirst. I'll always enjoy mobile bicycling over stationary, its sensible and I know, it gives me a more overall workout in the end.

9. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I'd rather exercise outside but sometimes the weather would not permit it. I don't think if I bought a treadmill or something that I'd use it enough. If you are a regular exerciser, it may be a good option for you. I'd just consider your normal workout routines if you're thinking about buying one. If you regularly exercise, it would probably be a good investment. If you do not exercise often, a better bet might be to attend a gym where others are also working out. Sometimes that motivates me. It would be a shame to spend hundreds on a machine and then let it collect dust.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If your dilemma is riding a bicycle but don't want to be gone somewhere, then it would be best to grab the combination of the two, a stationary bike, through which despite being immobile you would be able to experience the sensation of riding a bicycle almost the same as you would do with riding a bike that physically takes your some place else.

11. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer riding a regular bicycle outside where I can enjoy the essence of the fresh air as I ride down hills, put myself up to the challenges of peddling at different speeds and steep areas and find the motivation to keep myself going as I pass by other bicyclers. Sometimes I will not feel like being bothered to actually take to the adventure outside or the weather might be awful and I would settle for the stationary bicycle, which is challenging too but the outdoors provide a better, more fun experience.

#11Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  12. SharedTerry

SharedTerryNew Member

Threads:
    I have an exercise bike that I bought few months ago and it serves me well. It does burn calories and helps tone my muscles. It also strengthen my heart and lungs and improve your my body's ability to utilize oxygen.

13. jdroc

jdrocNew Member

Threads:
    It depends. Down here in the south, it gets really hot during the summer. I definitely rather be indoors. However, I did obtain an old french racing bike. I loved riding that bike. It was light, and really fast.

Sometimes when I was at school I rode the bikes in the gym. This was a surprisingly really good workout and it was better than running. I think the older I got, the more I could feel the affects of running. Anything that lessens the force of gravity on these knees is fine by me. So I would say both.

14. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Really nice post, love it! I myself am battling with this current situation, whether to buy a stationary bike or a regular bike, and, you know, I think I'm gonna buy both, I love the stationary bike as you can increase the tension with it when paddling and so that's a plus over the regular bike, however, with the regular bike you can ride and at the same time you can see the environment and feel apart of your surroundings. So, for a nature lover, the regular bike seems fitting, for an indoor person, the converse, but for an exercise freak like myself, buying both is the only choice I see :)

15. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I'd only get a regular bike if I'm actually going to use it for commuting, and if it is convenient (existence of bike lanes, etc.) Otherwise a stationary bike would probably be a safer and more practical option. (Of course a third option could be signing up for a gym so you can use multiple kinds of equipment for more holistic exercise and training)

16. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have an exercise glider that i use in the house, or when the weather is bad. I really like it, and it can be folded up when I have to move it. It is kind of like cross-country skiing when I ride it.
    However, I have been wanting to be able to ride a bicycle and go around the block here close to home. Because I have very poor balance anymore, a regular bicycle is pretty much out of the question. However, I found one of those 3-wheeled adult tricycles at the pawn shop, and I have it on llayaway. I can make payments on it thiswinter, and then have it to ride by spring.
    It is a Schwinn, and has a nice seat and even a basket on it. maybe I will take my little dog, Chipper, along with me and teach him to ride in the basket.
    So, between the bike and the glider, I should be able to exercise just about any time.

Attached Files: