Home Library

Discussion in Home & Garden started by chiofthenorns • Sep 3, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I want to have a library at home. It will be a room where I can just read and do work without anybody disturbing me. I will fill the shelves with all the books that I love from classics to the modern. I'm looking for ideas though. Do you have a library at home? I would really appreciate it if you will share pictures here. Don't worry I won't copy the style! I just want inspiration. :p Thank you!

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is my dream to have a library, however I don't have the space in my current home. The important thing is to have light in the room and have your desk, comfy chairs etc near the window or French Doors. I have an old boyfriend who is an architect who has promised to build me one when I am ready!

I think you need to find the right kind of shelves to be built into the walls in possible then work around that.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    My library room is a dream for now :( I live in a small flat so there's no chance I can dedicate so much space for one single purpose. For now I store most of my books in boxes (sadly!) and some of them on shelves. I do plan on changing houses when money allows, I've been saving towards this goal, but it'll still take a while. Once in a bigger house, with more rooms, I'll buy some nice wooden shelves, comfy chairs and a little table and read my books near the window.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't have space for a room dedicated to a library, I just have one wall with 3 bookshelves on it. I don't think it takes too much to have a nice library. You just need bookshelves, a comfortable chair and a good reading lamp.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Building a library I believe isn't just about space. There's the money angle too. Granted there are thousands of books you can get on half.com for a buck but if you are looking for specific kind of books chances are you'd have to spend more than $5 bucks a book for a used copy. I wouldn't spend that kind of money when I would get all the books I need free on the net, save them somewhere and I'd have a large digital library of books.

But I wouldn't mind buying comics and collecting comics. At the moment I have about 10 or so Asterix books but I plan to fill a number of shelves with comic books in the near future. That's the closest I'll come to having a home library.

6. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I'm going to attach a photo of 'part' of my library because I'm embarrassed that some of the books are askew. Basically, I have two large bookshelves that look like this. I try to put like genre books in each cubicle and then in some cubicles I have statues or just a few books like you see here. I have a collection of encyclopedias as well that I put on a simple book shelf with no back to it. I use my bookshelves as a room divider to create a hallway that goes into the bathroom from behind. My company enters my home and then sits in the 'library' where they can look at a variety of books, including coffee table picture books while they wait for me to make tea or whatever it is I might be doing in the kitchen. There is a small sitting couch, a fold down table, an end table, two other chairs and a desk with other books that I use on a weekly basis. I love my library! I think you have an excellent idea. Libraries create a serene environment for ones home and do much for the mind and heart on the inside of the house that gardens do for you on the outside. Its a garden of thoughts! Happy planning! P9070001.

7. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately, I do not have a spare room to have a library. I filled all the rooms with children instead! However, I often joke that my house is like a library. I have bookcases in every room. I have them in alcove type spaces around the house. I love reading and like that I can always find something interesting to read. I think it annoys my partner though. Unfortunately, I do not have a picture of my books!

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just have two bookshelves really. I don't read like I used to. I still have a good amount of books but some shelves are dedicated to my VHS tapes (which I have too many of) and CDs. Also, the only space that is mine is bedroom, hallway with closet and tiny bathroom so even if I wanted to have a library, there wouldn't be much space.

9. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I am quite happy with my home at the moment, but a bookshelf would make it even more better. I would love to have a bookshelf where I could just be myself and keep books only which I like. Unfortunately, I do not have the space to keep a bookshelf or make one. I just have to content myself with the bookshelves in the public library that I regularly visit. I think it is important to have a library of your own and I am sure to own one when I go to a new home.