Home-made Christmas Gifts

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by Denis Hard • Nov 19, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you aren't a good cook or Handy with tools that doesn't mean you can't save any money this Christmas by making some Christmas gifts yourself. How hard would it be to make a poster or a Christmas card? Well it can be hard for someone who has never done it before but there is one site where you can learn how to make some gifts.

Thing is even if you don't learn how to make a gift within 4 weeks think of the money this would save you in the long run if you don't have to buy gifts anymore.

2. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like making gifts instead of buying them but I try not to do so just so I could save and instead I only do it if I think the person is the type that would appreciate a more personalized gift, because I know I am that way, although I can still appreciate expensive purchased gifts of course. A lot of my family members and friends wouldn't really appreciate it as much as they would their material goods of choice though so I just try and indulge them as much as I can but you're right it's definitely much more fulfilling to give out gifts you made yourself and of course it's way cheaper.

3. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love homemade gifts, and I also enjoy making handmade items and giving them to loved ones as gifts. That being said, as @DrRipley@DrRipley mentioned, many of my recipients also don't appreciate handmade items, so when I do give to them, I end up trying to come up with something that they will actually appreciate. I think many don't appreciate not only that the supplies/ingredients cost money, but that handmade items signify extra work, and that the items are a labor of love. I'd rather put my time and energy into making items for my shops, because when someone buys them, I know they're appreciated. I got tired of laboring over handcrafted gifts (especially for my nieces), then finding out they were given away, donated, or sat unused.

I'm checking out your link for myself. There are some cute items there. I'm sure those who appreciate unique handmade gifts would really enjoy the ideas on the site.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband used to plant yam, that violet rootcrop. He would be timing his planting for the December harvest. And he would cook the yam into a cake that we distribute to our circle mostly to the neighbors. It was always a hit. But now my husband has no more time for planting and cooking so what we do is just to buy gifts. Last year we gave away Welcome Plants to the neighbors and they were so glad for the unique gift. Unfortunately, only 1 of the neighbors give us a Christmas gift.