Home Made Medicines

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Peninha • Feb 25, 2015.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many of us are sick of doctors so we tend to find cures for our own pains. Do you do this? Any interesting home medicine you've made that has given good results?

2. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I make every effort not to go to the doctor. I don't take medicines. Of course, if it is an emergency, I will not be crazy, but I will definitely opt for a natural remedy. I have had success with my natural cure for stomach pains. I incorporated into my diet using papaya leaf, ginger and fennel seeds, both in my food and as teas. My stomach feels better and if ever it feels bad, these foods bring me instant relief.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's exactly what I was talking about. Funny enough I have stomach issues too and I've heard that papaya is good, but I haven't heard about the others. What dishes do you do with these elements?

4. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I don't know anybody who has the resources to make 'medicine'. Medicine, according to Miriam-Webster is "a substance that is used in treating disease or relieving pain and that is usually in the form of a pill or a liquid". I do use home remedies all the time.

When I notice my kids have a sore throat I use ginger, honey and lemon to make tea. The ingredients all have homeopathic components to help ease throat swelling and also have antibacterial properties.

5. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I simply add them in my food, usually at the end of the cooking process, allowing the heat to activate their properties. I make tea with the papaya leaf and ginger, or just ginger. Just a few days ago I made a delicious tea with ginger, tangerine and a dash of lemon. I added honey and was in heaven. I will mention that regular exercise has also helped my stomach. I do palaties which uses deep breathing.

6. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I have a home remedy for colds, It's basically hot lemon with ginger and honey. I make ginger tea with honey for an upset stomach as well. When I have a headache, I like to lie down in a dark room and take a nap.
    I hate taking medicine and being in hospitals gives me anxiety so I always try the natural route first.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This week I had a cold and instead of buying 'fancy' drugs I chose to try out a home remedy someone had told me works. I got some lemons, honey, cayenne and made some syrup which was supposed to cure the cold. I understand there are no cures for colds but I supposed that at least there would be a noticeable difference. I learned the hard way that the remedy didn't work and I don't intend to, in future, to give home medicines a second chance.

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I grow lemon-grass and make home-made tea with it. All I do is cut it, chop it up, boil it and then sieve it. But I have heard of people juicing it. It helps re-balance the intestinal flora so it is very good when you are fasting. It is high in iron, contains anti-cancer properties, anti-inflammatory, aids in respiratory function (so good when you have a cold), high in potassium, and is diuretic! Oh man, I just noticed my bush is overgrown and I haven't made a batch in awhile. After replying to this post I see I've answered my own question on a previous thread regarding intestinal help! Thanks for helping me to remember what I already had in my own house!

9. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    We have lots of traditional/homemade medicine. For caugh we boil Lagundi leaves ( Vitex negudo). For stones and kidney problems we have sambong leaves (blumea balsamifera). For sore throat and voice problem we have ginger ale. For aching tooth we have garlic. Hope this help.

10. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Honey is known for its anti-bacterial properties and its very organic. You can drink it along with other herbs or plain. You can use honey on any illness and see amazing results. You can also mix it with warm water and drink it first thing in the morning to give you extra energy for the rest of the day.

11. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Honey is very good and just the other day I mixed it with aloe to make a powerful drink, sad that it just lasted for a few days. I felt energized during that period, so I am getting more plants to make it again.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I tend to look for home remedies for ailments, but I also will consult a physician if necessary. Last year when I had a bad case of hives, I did research online to find out that using baking soda mixed with water could be used to help relieve the itching and irritation. Another good remedy were ice packs. But I still had to go see a doctor as well, because I had to know what caused the problem and be treated by the doctor. Between the doctors treatments and the home remedies I got better within a few weeks. Now when it comes to the common cold or say a yeast infection, in other words things I know all too well about I tend to forego the doctor and look for home remedies that I have used in the past to combat these.

13. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    Home Remedies are best prescription for me. A natural remedies for an ordinary illness can prevent from getting sick. You just need to keep doing it not once application or treatment, but you need to do it until you are feeling well. The more natural your medication is, the less side effect you're getting in.

14. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    Home made remedies are really good for health and they are definitely useful. I do believe that home made remedies have quite a lot of strength and are definitely great. I would definitely love to have home made remedies especially for cold.

15. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some home remedies can indeed help with minor health issues, but the overwhelming majority of these remedies are nothing more than a waste of time. You don't need medicine for every ailment, but that doesn't mean that every single natural remedy is going to work either. It's best to use a little logic and proper judgement here.

16. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't agree with you at all troutski. For me the best medicine is the preventive one and that can be achieved with home made medicines. At the same time, if we are sick already common medicines act faster, I don't question that either.