Home Made Pesticide

Discussion in Home & Garden started by LilAnn • Jul 19, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Whether or not its true, I was told they have found a link between store bought, chemical packed pesticides and cancer. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for pesticides? I prefer cheaper, but my priority is effectiveness and no dangerous chemicals.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It certainly is true that chemicals used to make pesticides can cause cancer but there's always the question of how much exposure to the chemicals would be bad for the person who regularly uses the chemicals? Using them only occasionally I'm sure wouldn't be all that bad for your health.

TO avoid health complications though, you could try making some "organic" pesticides:

3. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you!! Not only do I not want cancer, but I need something that is safe for my pooches and birds. I recently lost one of my dogs. I have wondered if he didn't get into something poinonous. I try to make it clean and safe, but thats not to say I didn't spill somewhere without knowing, or even just remembering. It'll break my heart, as well as my husband's and children's hearts, if we lose another one before their time.Thank you for the links!

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Extended thanks from me too. I have tried to make my own pesticides, but not really knowing where to look at.

For now the only I have under relative control are mosquitoes, but by using a electronic exterminator, nothing I can use with other harmful organisms, or other insects unless I chase for them with my racket.

This electronic device is an electronic insect killer racket like this;

5. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    HAHA I love it!! I could give it to my son and tell him to have fun. There wouldn't be another mosquito for 2 miles. I want one, but they are out of stock :( I'll have to start looking else where for it

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Chemical-laden pesticides are only dangerous to yourself and pets if you're applying them in the wrong manner. They're easy enough to use safely around and outside the house if you know what you're doing. Otherwise, natural mixtures can work as bug killers to varying degrees of effectiveness. For obvious reasons, you shouldn't mix actual chemicals together at home to make your own pesticides because that's far more dangerous than using store-bought options or making something organic.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have recipes (formula, actually) of different fertilizers but no insecticide. Our usual insecticide that kills almost any insect is Malathion. It is a very potent poison. But the downside is the odor, a very unpleasant odor pervades the air when we use Malathion in spraying the plants. Someone had recommended vinegar and molasses but we still have to try it.

8. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    i've heard of using vinegar, but I haven't heard of molasses. As for the Malathion, I am not sure if they sell it in the US. I don't believe I've ever seen it, anyway. At this point, I'll try almost anything. I can't step foot outside without finding at least one stink bug on me. As for the moles I have in my garden, I was told to put urine down the opening of their holes. Honestly, I'm a little bit hesitant because... I don't know why I haven't. What kind of bugs and animals do you have to deal with where you are?

9. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use vinegar to kill weeds in the garden. I wish I had seen this article about garlic for mosquitos earlier, the bugs thought I was dinner. I will have to get some garlic to keep the bugs off me, I will be itching for a few days.