Home Remedies For Toothache

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Denis Hard • Aug 11, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you aren't willing to visit your dentist or want to temporarily relieve the pain while you think about what you'll do next, there are some home remedies that can relieve the tooth pain pretty fast.

- Mix salt and pepper [preferably cayenne] with some water to form a paste and apply it to the teeth causing you pain.

- Chew raw onions. They'll kill the pain after a little while.

- Apply avocado seed powder on the affected teeth.

- Dissolve some salt in warm water and use that mixture to rinse your mouth.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately toothache is something that I've rarely suffered from - so thankfully I won't have to consider trying out any of those interesting concoctions - which I have to say - apart from the salt water which I have used - sound extremely unappealing and especially the onions.

In fact I think I would much rather use clove oil or whole cloves - which is another very effective home remedy for toothache that I would highly recommend - particularly as - just dabbing clove oil directly onto the affected tooth or crunching a few whole cloves works remarkably well - as not only do cloves have antibacterial properties but as they also have a numbing effect - give almost instant relief which generally lasts for up to almost an hour too.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is interesting to know. I have never really had a toothache, but I am way overdue for a trip to the dentist so it could happen at any time. I think I would be willing to try whatever works should I end up with a toothache pain. THis is something that I need to consider if it happens to me.

4. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    You can also pick up an emergency dental kit. Those temporary wax fillings can be a life saver until you can get a dentist appointment.

I have also heard good things about using high-proof alcohol or putting a warm used tea bag against the affected area.

5. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    These are all interesting remedies. Clove is the only one I can attest to. I am not keen on the dentist, so I usually do have to feel pain before I make myself go.
    I have never heard of the kit with the wax fillings before. I can see how that can be helpful, because if you can not get right in to see a dentist, covering the nerve can really help. One thing though, before using a wax filling, make sure the tooth is thoroughly cleaned out.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Never, never, never avoid going to the dentist, even if cost is an issue. Oral health impacts your body's overall health, and untreated issues can quickly develop into something more serious. These remedies might make the pain lessen for a little while, but things only get worse if you avoid the dentist. Even a checkup costs only a few dollars, so you should at least find out what's wrong as soon as possible!

7. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    Anything at all for relief! I've had two occasions with toothache and both were pulled out upon my request. I read and heard that Vit. C (ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate) nourishes teeth, gums and cures inflammation. It isn't expensive to invest on Vit C than going to a dentist that eats up all my savings for something else.

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It is important, but let's not exaggerate. It's way more than "only a few dollars," unless you're talking about a co-pay for those who have dental insurance (which not all of us have). My relative went recently and the cost had gone way up from the last time. It was way more than a few bucks and that was just to walk in the door, before they did anything.

I do agree with you that it is serious, but people do need to know what they're dealing with too. It's easy to say "even if cost is an issue," when you aren't the person who is broke. For the broke person, not so much.

It may be possible to work out a payment plan, so keep that in mind, but ignoring the expense is never a good idea.

9. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that dental issues can be serious...but for the most part, my dentist is a pain in the rear to get an appointment with. Even in an emergency, like the time I broke off part of one of my wisdom teeth, it can sometimes be a few days until they get me in. For something like, "I have a toothache and I think I may have developed a cavity that needs filled," it could be weeks until they have an open slot. Maybe I need a different dentist but I'd rather have some ways to cope until they can see me.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One nephew of mine has that perennial problem of toothache since he is afraid of the dentist. When a toothache attacks, his mother would dip a small piece of cotton in perfume and would place it in the affected tooth. The scent somehow deadens the pain or it may just be psychological. But one dentist told us that the perfume has an alcohol content which acts as desensitizer.

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I sometimes had pain before I was able to see my dentist and so I would chew on a green tea bag. Steep it in some warm water to get it going and then chew on it. Chewing on a Lipton tea bag works too. Something about tea having anti inflammatory properties that just works wonders for your toothaches!

12. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Long time not having toothache, and even longer not visiting the dentist. However I remember to have put a piece of aspiring in the aching tooth, pressing firmly with my finger, and this relieved the pain, just don't ask me for the taste of aspirin when dissolved in my mouth.

However, while I don't longer suffer from toothache, this is a constant problem for my mom, so I'm going to to share all these tips with her :)

13. E.Mil

E.MilMember

Threads:
    I haven't had a toothache in years and I don't miss it either. What always worked for me was rinsing my mouth with antiseptic mouthwash and using anbesol toothache medicine. I have heard about the onions but have never used them but it seems like the onion would work also because it's so pungent.

14. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    When we were younger we would always gargle with salt water. This cleans out any infection in your mouth and helps it heal faster. It doesn’t taste great but it definitely works.

15. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A tea bag would work I think. Also, clover oil is something they used to tell you and you used to be able to use for tooth ache pain. I am not really sure you would be able to buy that outside of a health food store or place that sells natural supplements. It could be something that would be helpful for reducing your pain and making everythng tolerable.

16. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Perfume as tooth remedy? That is something that I have never heard of before. I am under the impression that perfumes are not meant to be ingested, but I was wrong. I think your nephew can save money if he used alcohol directly instead of pefume.

17. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the alcohol in the perfume is what deadens the pain of the toothache since that remedy is only used when there is a cavity in the tooth. That is a traditional remedy and I do not know if there are still people doing that since we are now in modern times. That treatment is inherited from my grandparents although I know that it is prevalent in the province. Maybe you can try it when the toothache is severe.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't know that it was prevalent in the province. If it was prevalent then it must be effective. Well, if it saves you a trip to the dentist then I guess it is worth trying.

19. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Cove, clove oil work well when someone is suffering from a toothache or if one massage the effected area with a little bit of mustered oil mixed with table salt it provides an immediate relief before reaching to a dentist as first aid.

20. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    The only remedy that I have known is chewing on a clove. It seemed to have had immediate effect. Not that I have personally tried, but have seen people use it.

I had impacted tooth once for which removal was planned but somehow the pain and the problem disappeared from painkillers only.