Homemade Cleaning Supplies/detergents?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by hellavu • Jan 26, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    A few times, I panicked when my sinks clogged up. What saved me were a few cleaning solutions, such as pouring boiling water in it, or mixing warm Apple vinegar with baking soda to clean this right up!

The mix of vinegar and baking soda was a bit smelly, but just like the boiling water, it worked *wonders*. I since then also use baking soda + vinegar to clean my hamster's toys.

What is your trick to clean your house without the ready-made mix of chemicals?

2. globulon

globulonMember

Threads:
    That's a really good tip about unclogging your sinks, I'll definitely have to try that!

My go-to floor-cleaning solution is to mop with vinegar and water. Sure, my house may smell funky after a good mopping but it is a lot cheaper than store-bought cleaners!

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Vinegar and dish soap as the two primary products. Vinegar water is used everywhere that isn't greasy, for greasy or sticky things just wipe with a soapy rag then a damp one. I basically don't buy cleaning products except for toilet bowl cleaner.

4. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are tons of recipes online these days for making your own cleaning solutions. I've done this on a few occasions, usually just in a pinch, but I'm seriously thinking about doing it more. There seems to be recipes for everything these days. Just be careful when mixing stuff. Some cleaners can't be mixed with others or they can be dangerous. Have you tried any other cleaning products? Baking soda with a bit of dish soap makes a good "Soft Scrub" type of cleaner.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Palmolive dish soap is just about the only household cleaner I haven't chucked out the door, yet, in favor of homemade ones. I use white vinegar for many things. White vinegar and a drop or two of palmolive for cleaning windows and other glass. I use borax and baking soda in my toilet bowl. Baking soda in my tub and sinks. A mixture of water with a little borax cleans my stove, cutting grease better than any other thing I've found.
    There are hundreds of uses for borax, vinegar and baking soda throughout the house.