Homemade Clothing

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by hellavu • Jan 8, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I know for many people, sewing their own clothes is a thing of the past. However, crochet and knitting came back into fashion, offering many fun patterns for people to make themselves in the colors and material they prefer. For me, this is a big selling point. I like to knit. But I know some people frown when they get knitted gifts instead of what they consider "real gifts", ie stuff that was bought and that has a receipt (maybe to give it back?)

Do you think it's cheesy? A waste of time? Would you try it?

2. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Probably half my wardrobe is clothing I have sewn myself. I was raised with sewing, so it is not something I would ever frown on. I have also knitted many, many items as gifts for people I know, and as donations to local ministries that give them to those in need of winter accessories to stay warm. I think anyone who would frown on a gift that someone put literally hours and hours of their time into making is extremely selfish and perhaps even cruel if they should make some kind of negative comment to the person who put so much of themselves into making a gift. I would personally encourage anyone who wishes to sew or knit gifts to keep at it and develop their skill, it is absolutely worth it.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though I don't have much time to make my own clothes, I really appreciate it from the bottom of my heart if someone makes something special for me. Last year, a friend of mine knitted an entire dress for me. It's one of my most cherished gifts ever. I absolutely love it, and I love her. :)
    My boyfriend's mother is a seamstress and has sown a lot of clothes for me that I designed myself. I often sit in her workroom with her, watching her nimble hands turning pieces of material into the most amazing creations. I am really glad to have these great craftspeople in my life. :)

4. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    A knitted dress! Wow! I am just starting out with knitting and making a single socks takes me the major part of days! I cannot imagine the extraordinary amount of time and love and commitment going into the knitting of a dress! You are very lucky indeed. :)

I wish I could sew myself, but it looks a bit intimidating -- buying a machine and fabric and patterns and threads etc just looks like a bigger investment than just buying a pair of knitting needles and a skein of wool.

5. lucyarty

lucyartyMember

Threads:
    I wish I could make my own clothes! I really envy people who are skilled at this kind of thing - definitely don't consider it cheesy or a waste of time; it seems like a really good way of making sure your clothes are cost effective, well-fitted and a representation of your personality and taste. I gave birth last year, and two family members gave me knitted clothing for my son - such a lovely gift, not just because the clothes were nice but because of the time and effort that must have been invested in making them.

Personally, though, I don't have the first clue about how you go about any form of clothes-making, and it strikes me as something I'd find difficult to learn, so I don't think I'm going to be sat in front of a sewing machine any time soon. Maybe one day!

6. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    When it comes to gifts I think that it's the thought that counts. For someone to sew something means that they were thinking about you pretty heavily. That makes it a pretty amazing gift to me. I would love for someone to do that for me. It would melt my heart.

7. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Well from knitting communities I've saw, it does not look like you knit a sweater to be cost effective! Apparently, if you want some decent quality wool (and you do), it comes at a hefty price and the amount of time you spend into it--- you don't do it to save money, that's for sure!

But I can imagine baby items are a good way of being personal and cost effective. It takes less wool, less time, and baby clothing in store is just so darn expensive!

8. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I think that if they're done right (using a stylish pattern, etc), homemade clothing can be very beautiful and quite unique. I'm not really that skilled at knitting or crocheting though, though I do have some beautiful yarn waiting to be made into a scarf. When I was a kid, my grandma used to knit and crochets lots of stuff, but they were pretty generic, not something I'd feel good about wearing. They might be more popular to wear now though, now that retro is back in style.