Homemade Cough Syrup?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Amanda K • Oct 17, 2014.

1. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Lately, I've seen a few recipes for homemade cough syrup like this one floating around:

I wonder if it works. Have any of you tried to make your own cough syrup? Did it work? Does it save a lot of money?

2. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    I've never tried to make my own cough syrup before, but I might try this out. It would be cheaper in the long run to DIY instead of buying it all the time. I usually get pretty bad colds in the Winter. I've had more sore throats than I can count at this point. Thanks for posting the link. I'm looking forward to trying this out. Hopefully it actually works.

3. askanison

askanisonMember

Threads:
    This is similar to what my Grandmother used to make during the winter for my Grandad. She would start with a honey base and add a bit of ginger, lemon juice, and chamomile to a pan and cook it for a bit. Then she would strain it into a mason jar and add a bit more honey for thickness. My Granddad swore it cured all winter ills. He secretly added a couple of spoonfuls with a bit of scotch to make it "more palatable". His words not mine. I am a firm believer in herbal remedies and this one I think works better than most.

4. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I always prefer to use home made cough syrup . I love to use honey and many other spices. I also sometimes use ginger, garlic and turmeric. It depends on the severity of my cough. I also like to use ayurvedic medicine which helps me to get relief from cough.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    We have an oregano plant. When we are sick, my mom makes oregano tea to cure us. It really tastes awful, but it's really effective. Anyway, oregano tea works best as a cough syrup. :)

6. Aurora

AuroraMember

Threads:
    I try to avoid consulting the doctor when I catch cold in the last few years. I bought some Chinese herbal medicine to heal my sickness. It is not big problem as I know I would be given cough syrup if I consulted my doctor. I believe hot ginger tea should work. I felt very uncomfortable and sleepy before trying the Chinese medicine; I feel much better with the herbal medicine.

7. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Ever since I became a couponer, I've not had to pay much for OTC meds, including cough syrup (which has often been free), so I a home remedy in my case would not be to save money. I do not make my own cough syrup, but I have tried a homemade cold remedy a couple times. It is almost impossible to choke down, but if I remember to take it at the first symptoms of a cold, I do think it cuts down on the duration of the cold. Here's the recipe:

1/2c. water
    2T. apple cider vinegar (this is the gross part)
    1T honey
    1/2 t. cayenne pepper (also pretty nasty, but this is the effective part)

I find that if you stir it all together and then heat it a bit it is easier to get down (plus it helps the honey mix through). The cayenne pepper is probably the thing that helps your throat, while the vinegar is a probiotic which boosts your immune system. It burns and is bitter and overall nasty. But it will clear your sinuses and a sore throat pretty quick.

8. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I usually boil hot water with honey, lemon and a shot of rum. Don't worry, the alcohol usually burns out when it boils. It's the kick of the rum you want. It usually works pretty well. It clears the sinuses and the throat. Sometimes I just forget the recipe and take a shot of honey whiskey. That works instantly. One time I had a really bad sore throat and nothing else worked. Nyquil made me drowsy, and I would take cold and sinus medicine but it would just come back hours later. The honey whiskey made it disappear completely.

9. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    I have made homemade cough syrup. I usually use bee propolis in mine because it is very effective and stops coughs immediately. I can see the one that you provided a link to can also work because of the herbs that are used and the honey. It does work and it is very cost effective. I can get the ingredients for it at a cheap price. Plus, I like the fact that it is not full of nasty chemicals or weird looking artificial colors and flavors.

10. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't made it yet, but I saw a really good looking recipe for a raw honey cough syrup that I will definitely try if I ever get a cough. It looked really easy to make.

11. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Hy Amanda! My brother usually remain stuck in this problem. specially as winter season started people have to face such problems. I found your shared link interested hope it could help him. But tell me one thing i just want to know is there some one who had try this Homemade cough syrup. ...??