Homemade Houseplant Waterer?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Amanda K • Sep 25, 2014.

1. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    We'll be going out of town for a few days. I normally pay the neighbor in beer to watch our cat and plants. But, the cat needs to have some work done at the vet's and will be staying there. I'm not paying in beer for a 45 second job, but do like my plants. Those glass bubble waterers are pretty, but so expensive. Does anyone know a hack I could make with household items?

2. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I've heard that you can do the same thing with a wine bottle as you would for the glass bubble thing and it would just as well. But I would get something like that (a glass bottle or something) that has a smaller opening so the water doesn't all gush out at once.

3. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I need to go away for a while and don't have anyone to look after my plants, I usually completely saturate them with water, so that there is plenty left in the tray. I usually put those plants that need a lot of watering in my bathtub, where I shower them down and leave them sitting in a shallow pool of water to keep them cool and moist. This way I have been able to stay away up to ten days without my plants suffering too much.

4. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Take a plastic 2 liter soda pop bottle (emptied of course) and fill it with water. Then place it upside down. I would make sure that you have a good drip pan though in case of overflow. But this is supposed to slowly release the water into the soil as needed. I have not yet tried it as all my plants are outside at the moment. But I plan on trying it as soon as I'm brave enough to try houseplants again. (I'm always killing them and I think the watering or lack there of might be the problem.)

5. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks, everyone! There are some great ideas in here. I do NOT have a green thumb, and the plants belonged to my grandmother who died seven years ago. Some are older than I am. It's a miracle that they have survived my ineptitude this long. I like the wine bottle idea, especially. We have a bunch of those plastic spouts that bartenders use. Maybe those would work- or in old beer bottles for the smaller plants?