Homemade Laundry Detergent

Discussion in Product Reviews started by anniep1978 • Sep 17, 2012.

1. anniep1978

anniep1978New Member

Threads:
    I am looking into making my own powder laundry detergent to save money. I have found a few different recipes online that look very simple to make. For those of you who use a homemade powder detergent, do they work as well as store-bought detergents? What recipe do you use?

Thanks in advance for any recipes or advice!

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have also seen a few recipes to make laundry detergent. I even purchased the OXY clean to make my soap but I have not found the Fel-Nap. It does seem like you can save alot of money by making my own soap.

3. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    It seems to me though, that every recipe I've seen lists ingredients that are difficult to find. Else I'd be all over this.

4. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I use powdered recipe #4 on this website:

Generally, it is pretty effective. I like to do a prerinse on all of my clothes and an extra rinse with vinegar after the wash cycle. I would say that homemade detergent is equally as effective as commercial detergents when washing everyday clothes. However, I might consider a commercial detergent if my husband was involved in some other type of manual labor like a mechanic or construction worker.

I also use Ivory soap instead of Fels Naptha. It is easier to find at our local grocery store and it is also much cheaper.

#4Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  5. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    Thats really interesting. Does the vinegar ever leave a slight smell on the clothing?

6. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Neither my husband or I have ever noticed a smell on our clothes? I think that as long as you rinse the vinegar out, it should be fine.

7. Strawberries

StrawberriesNew Member

Threads:
    I've been curious about making my own laundry detergent for a long time. Thanks for the links, they're all really helpful!

As far as the vinegar goes, I've found it to be very useful as a cleaning product, so I can see how it wouldn't leave a smell on laundry. I put a mixture of half white vinegar and half water through my coffee pot to clean it every once in a while, it leaves no vinegar taste at all and there's a HUGE improvement in the taste of my coffee! This is also useful to do before guests come over, because even though it smells strong at first it fades after a little bit and makes the house smell very clean afterwards. And my mom told me that my grandma actually used to boil a pot of vinegar and water whenever she wanted to make the house smell clean, so it's not just my imagination, haha! I have a thousand other uses for vinegar too, so I don't know why I haven't thought about putting it in laundry before. Thanks for the tip!

8. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't even know you could make your own thats pretty cool I'm eager to try it think ill look it up if I make my own ill post a thread with my experience