Homemade pizza vs. store pizza costs

Discussion in Food & Drink started by andrew320 • Aug 13, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    My fiancee and I have had this discussion before. What's cheaper? A homemade pizza, pizza purchased from a grocery store or pizza bought from a chain. You have to buy all the ingredients that usually add up to the costs of a frozen pizza or a Pizza Hut, Domino's, etc. We usually make gourmet pizzas, which are usually tastier than the ones in the stores.

Anyway, what do you think?

2. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I don't very often make my own pizzas, as my husband isn't that keen on them. About once a month, he'll fancy one and I'll buy a fresh ham and cheese pizza from LIDL. It costs 2 Euro (£1.60, $2.50), and it's enough for a meal. We don't usually need anything other than a little salad with it, and it only takes 10 minutes in the oven, so it's a quick, easy, cheap meal.

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've never made my own pizza before, but if I did I'm sure it won't taste as good as the store or delivery places. My only problem is that I don't want to buy all those ingredients to make my own. I think it's cheaper to purchase one from the store. Maybe I'll watch a YouTube video on how to make pizza better than the ones in the store. I'll let you know how it turns out.

4. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    The prices are pretty comparable actually. If you wait for a good deal to order pizza you can actually get it for quite reasonable costs. Frozen pizzas even when they are on sale are quite small in size. If you make your pizza entirely from scratch, it would be cheaper. But I literally mean making the dough and all of it. Pizza kits are even pretty pricey to buy.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I can't imagine that any pizza I made would come out any good, so that plan is out. I don't have the time, the patience, or the skill to make myself a pizza.

6. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:

I agree. I too prefer home-made pizzas, mainly because I know what goes into/onto them, and I can also modify the quantity of cheese if required. Ever since my son turned vegan, I've stopped buying pizza from a store or chain. I make his with vegan cheese and his choice of toppings. It can be a bit of a bother, but he isn't complaining!

7. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I prefer homemade pizzas, but I have not made any recently. As an alternative I normally purchase Dominos pizza with triple cheese and one with Pepperoni and Italian Sausage. They both taste great.

8. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    We make our own pizza from time to time. It's a one time buy to have things like pineapple, hot peps, bacon pieces, olives etc and we usually have those in the fridge at the best of times so it's just a matter of getting a shell or dough, sauce and some meats.

Here is another thing I do. I get one of those Delissio Pizza's like the Pepperoni style and then I add everything in the fridge that I have to it and bake it well. You can do up a pretty fancy pizza for cheap.

Does it taste like the cookie cutters you get from the fast food pizza joints? Nope but maybe that isn't all bad either.

9. ktrevino93

ktrevino93New Member

Threads:
    I love making homemade pizzas, It's actually the most fun I have cooking. You also get to make it exactly how you want it. I'm pretty sure it is considerably cheaper, too. I like all pizza though, you can't really go wrong. I prefer homemade pizza over most of the big chains like Domino's and Lil' Caesars, but there are some small businesses that have pizza that my homemade pizzas don't even come close too.

10. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I love all pizzas, but I'm not a fan of making my own. It simply isn't worth the time [for me] because I hate making the dough. The cost of making pizza also adds up to be much more than just buying one, unless you make the dough yourself. Cheese is already $3, then meat is around $3, sauce is about $1.50, a box of dough mix is probably $2, and other toppings are extra. That's already $10. You can get large pizzas for around $10 without wasting all that time making them. Frozen pizzas cost around $5 to $7.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Some grocery stores around me will have those DiGiorno large frozen pizzas on sale for as low as $3, there's no way I could make that from scratch for less - the cheese would cost that much itself. I tried making my own pizza dough for a while too, but it wasn't worth all the trouble and cost. Especially when many pizza places and Italian specialty stores will sell you the dough pretty cheap (like 99 cents a bag).

Sometimes I make mini pizzas with pita bread when I have a craving for pizza but don't feel like shelling out the $$$ for a full one.

12. tasoncool1997

tasoncool1997New Member

Threads:
    I prefer more store pizza because I never try making homemade pizza before and I know if I try it would taste bad and result throwing it away.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Out of all of these, to me personally frozen pizzas are the worst deal because they are small, have crusts like cardboard and some of them cost as much as a Little Caesar's or Domino's pizza. The cheapest way I deal with a pizza craving on a "broke week" is to make pizza quesadillas. Just use flour tortillas and make a quesadilla with pizza ingredients.

Here you go, pizza quesadillas. 5 ingredients, easy and cheap.

#13Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always buy pizza from stores, because I don't know how to make my own pizza. But I would definitely love to try making homemade pizzas in the future though, to see for myself if I can manage to make a decent pizza. If I can't eat it, then I won't attempt to make one again, lol.

15. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I think that grocery store boughten pizza is a lot more affordable, but homemade pizza sure tastes a lot better. It is also nice as you can load your pizza with a lot of toppings. Usually the store boughten pizza doesn't add much toppings at all. I cannot resist the taste of a fresh pizza right from Papa Murphys. I love their cowboy pizza as it has mushrooms, pepperoni, sausage and black olives. They add a lot of each ingredient too. It is so delicious!

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Really low quality cheap frozen pizzas are the cheapest, if we're talking strictly about money.

Homemade pizza is still cheaper than chain pizza. It's going to be a lot better quality usually, too. You just can't compare that with some frozen pizzas that will only cost you a dollar or two, too. You spend more on cheese alone when trying to make your own.

17. green_momma2007

green_momma2007New Member

Threads:
    Little Caesar's pizza is $5 here, and you can get Costco's Frozen pizza for $2.50. I can't make yummier pizza than that for less, so I'm not even gonna try. Some things are better left to the professionals, lol.

18. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    The times we have made homemade pizza we have easily spent more than buying one from a pizza chain. We make a really large pizza with a ton of toppings though. It does taste a lot better but it does cost us a lot more. I think the cheapest way to go is to buy a frozen pizza on sale and then add more to it. Even if you can only add a bit more cheese and some herbs, it really helps frozen pizza taste a lot better.

19. jane211

jane211Member

Threads:
    The pizza I make always work out cheaper than shop brought pizza. I buy a pizza base mix, a pizza base or use pita breads for the base as these are really cheap.

As I always have things like cheese, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms etc. in the fridge then I don't have to buy anything else. I use a pasta sauce for the topping as well, and I usually have some of that in the cupboard so that doesn't cost me any extra either.

For me, it works out much cheaper to make my own pizzas and they are healthier than shop brought ones.

20. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I would think buying your own ingredients and making it is cheaper and tastier than ordering out or buying a frozen pizza. I've even heard of people buying dough from the local pizza shop for $1-2 and buying a can of tomatoes and mozzerella cheese. It's still cheaper than ordering from dominos and I think it would be fun to make together and better for you than frozen processed food.