Homemade Pizza

Discussion in Food & Drink started by prettycolors • Jun 22, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Have you guys tried baking pizza at home?

I just finished a batch! For flavor I added basil in the dough (besides the normal ingredients) and for toppings I went crazy with all the things I had in the fridge :eek: The cost of a pizza (ingredients + gas/cooking) was 1/4 of a restaurant one. Cheap! A bit time consuming to cook but not to hard even for a beginner.

2. Annabell

AnnabellActive Member

Threads:
    It's been a while since I made real homemade pizzas, but I have a really delicious little recipe for potato skin pizzas that always go down a treat. I'll have to remember to go looking for it so I can type it up for you!

3. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    I love making homemade pizza! It's easy to make in the Kitchenaid mixer.

Something that I find helps a lot is using an aerated pizza pan

. Brush the crust with a bit of olive oil so that it gets a nice crunch to it.

For pizza sauce, use a little tomato sauce and thicken it with some tomato paste. Add some paprika and some Italian spices. Put your sauce, cheese, and toppings on your pizza and pop it in the oven for a bit. Unused pizza dough can be rolled up into a ball and frozen.

I get my pepperoni at the Dollar Tree. Hormel puts out a $1.00 off two coupon frequently that you can use there to get pepperoni for 50 cents. They're small packages, but each one is plenty for one pizza. I've seen the same pepperoni at the grocery store for $2.50, so 50 cents is a great deal. :D

4. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    We make our own homemade pizza too at home. It cost us a lot cheaper than actually buying them from a restaurant. Since we like spicy pizza a lot, we put a lot of spices and vegetable on it and this satisfies us more actually. When we go to restaurant, it cost more expensive when they charge us for every other extra toppings we wanted on our pizza.

5. VTEC 9/12/44

VTEC 9/12/44Member

Threads:
    We love making homemade pizza here. When we have it, we put natural peperoni sans nitrates/nitrites on one side and mushrooms and veggies everywhere. Making your own pizza is another way to keep things healthy as well as cheap. :)

6. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    We make our own pizzas. We also experiment with adding different herbs and spices to the crust. We haven't had many disasters, thankfully. I really like having control on what we eat.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Reminds me of the ONE THING I liked about my father (other than his above-average singing-voice): once-or-twice a month, he would by some

mix (the Amazon link was the top one on a Yahoo!-search ... yeah, I search Yahoo! now) and would fix up some extra toppings for it (shredding some cheddar & ... was it mozzarella?, microwaving some ground-beef, sometimes cutting up vegetables from the garden or -the store) and would bake a pizza or two (or three or four) for family-dinner and leftovers.

[align=right]This was back when 'family dinner' was as common as 'refuelling the car.'[/align]

Now there's

---I don't trust myself around the oven, and don't trust the fire-hazard of an oven in my apartment; but I have had Papa Murphy's when I was visiting my mom, and it was just a little better than

! (tender crust, well-arranged toppings in the sweetness of cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez)

8. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I LOVE making my own pizza. I love the variety I can make and the also custom spices, as well as fresh herbs. That said, one of my faves I don't make much anymore is Emmeril's muffalotta pizza. It's just like the sandwich only on a pizza as the bread. It's provolone on the bottom, the ham and salami, then the olive mixture (the stuff that makes it the muffalotta), them mozzarella on top. It's VERY yum.

I have also made the olive salad differently, I often use a recipe as a very loose template, lol. But I was lucky enough to see him make this when his show was on the air.

9. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I am a huge lover of pizza and I craved it nearly everyday while pregnant. I had to creative and find ways to save money and also eat healthy versions. During that time is really when I developed a love of making my own pizza. Sometimes I make my own dough and sometimes I use store bought. I always add my own spices to the dough though, usually garlic and italian seasoning. If I don't have any "pizza sauce" I improvise and use tomato sauce with spices added. I know that's the not exact way to make the sauce but it's tasty and works just fine for us. We don't get too crazy with toppings, usually just pepperoni, cheese, and sometimes hamburger. Homemade pizza is so much cheaper than delivery pizza although we do like to indulge in that every now and then.

10. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that making pizza at home is absolutely fabulous stop it's great to be able to create your own tastes and flavors. I love adding huge amounts of cheese and being able to put the toppings that I want at the quantities that please me. The only challenge is how long it takes and how committed you have to be to the course. On the kind of person that just wants to eat right now and really doesn't want to deal with the hassle of cleaning up and all the preparatory work of buying the ingredients and making sure you have everything necessary to make the meal as great as it can be. So I am a fan of homemade pizza but I'm not a fan of the hard work

11. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I use to make homemade pizza quite a bit, I don't do it as much. But I had so many different recipes. One of my favorites is I'd make a nice thick crust. Then I'd brush it with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and raw garlic and a pinch of salt/garlic powder. I'd then cover it in mozzarella, bacon pieces, olives, spinach, and mushrooms. It was so yummy. I've also made cheese, meat lovers, and supreme. I can make a nice veggie pizza. I make it on thin crust. I put down garlic and olive oil. I then slice up tomatoes and put it down, olives, onions, peppers, and mushrooms and then coat in cheese. So yummy and way cheaper than buying a $20.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've tried making these at home but unfortunately, so far, the only experience I have is with ready made crust, which isn't really all that good but I'd say they are good enough to tide you over through your craving. However, I am planning on learning and starting to make my own dough and crust because it doesn't really seem that complicated to make anyway, and I think it will make a world of difference. The best thing about this is that you get to control what ingredients go into your pizza and even how much of it is put in.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I will make pizza at home once in a while. I use a variety of different methods though, from super cheap pizza dough mix in a pouch, to using already baked goods like bagels or flat breads, to buying some fresh dough from our local Italian specialty stores. For the most part, it is cheaper than buying it from a pizza shop, with the exception of when they are selling pizza's for $5 each. By the time I buy the sauce, cheese, toppings, and dough to make it at home, I can easily spend over $5. But if pizza's regularly cost upwards of $15 - $20 in your neck of the woods, then it's definitely cheaper to make them at home.

There was an article that went into great detail breaking down the cost of pizzas vs. their size, and the long story short, they demonstrated that it's always a much better deal to order a larger pizza than two smaller ones - the cost per surface area on a large pizza is much cheaper than it's smaller counterparts.

14. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not the best cook, but my brother used to them them all the time and it's really simple. Simplest of all, buy the bases and just put something on top. If you want to go the extra mile you can make the base yourself, it's not so much trouble and in a matter of minutes it's ready to go to the oven. I think this is a really cool way to save money and eat healthier. ;)

15. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I make pizza about once a month and it is cheaper than ordering out but not that much cheaper. The real difference between my homemade pizza and restaurant pizza is the toppings. I load on the toppings at home and end up with a pizza that fills me up in two or three slices rather than 4 or 5 when ordered in. The savings for me comes from needing less pizza to feed a group. I will often make enough dough for two pizzas and precook the second shell a bit before freezing it for use at a later time - the dough holds up fairly well and it is a lot better than many of the shells one can buy in the stores.

When I am looking after kids, it is also nice to be able to cater to their individual wishes in terms of toppings - everyone gets what they want.

16. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    We peg the cost of a pizza from the grocery store at roughly $3 each (frozen).
    The Mrs. has been trying to perfect her own recipe within the range of $2 -> $3 each and she believes she has done just that. The benefit of course is less preservatives, "better" ingredients, better taste, and a small savings. The loss is obviously in convenience and time, but she can also whip up a batch of them and freeze the rest.

(Beyond Pizza) Right now, we've been leaning towards singular heavy cooking days where we basically make much of the weeks foods and freeze them. Toss them in the slow cooker and we're good to go for dinner.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If that's the case, then I will start to research on how to make my own pizza then. I had no idea that it costs that cheap to make one, since I have always bought commercial pizza ever since. And since I don't know yet how to cook, then I think I would have to start looking for those frozen pizzas in the supermarket for starters.

18. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Congratulations! I am also a fan of home made pizza. I even make my own dough with a combination of different flours. I like to experiment a lot. The best pizza base I have made so far was with besan flour (chickpea flour). It was absolutely delicious! I used sweet red capsicums, garlic, olives, onions, tomatoes, soy cheese, basil and various other spices as a topping. Very different of what you normally get out there. :)

19. Taki

TakiMember

Threads:
    Sadly I can't make the type of pizza I love at home. See, to make proper deep dish pizza you have to have an oven that will keep a steady temp of 550 degrees to get the dough bubbles to explode into those craggy crusts us deep dish lovers crave so much. making the dough is easy enough, but getting the correct temp is difficult without a commercial oven or a separate pizza oven.

20. thestoryteller1

thestoryteller1New Member

Threads:
    Oh, I wish! I have been thinking of it a lot lately actually, to try making my own pizza. I've been craving a lot of fast-food pizza, and there isn't any anywhere close, while going to pizza in restaurant I don't do so often anymore...So making 1 would be nice:)
    My mom used to make, but the crust would always end up too hard in the edges, I don't like that:(. I like the ones with very thin, easy to eat but still crispy crust...I hope I figure out how to do that at home somehow.