Homemade Sushi

Discussion in Food & Drink started by dizzykitsune • Oct 22, 2014.

1. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    Has anyone ever tried to make sushi at home? The idea never crossed my mind until my roommate told me she was making sushi by hand for dinner. I was absolutely thrilled! She had learned from her mother how to make sushi and is going to be teaching me. It's so much cheaper to make it at home than to buy it from a Japanese restaurant! I had no idea!

Does anyone else make sushi at home? I'm so excited about this idea! If all goes well, I plan on making myself sushi for lunch to bring to work and show off.

2. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I tried making it once in college and it turned out alright. We did not season the rice correctly, I think. I would like to try again now that I'm better at cooking. I wish I had someone to show me the ropes. I love sushi and it is definitely cheaper to make at home.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sushi in the stores is quite expensive. if I knew how to make sushi at home I am sure I would do so. It would save money and as we all know, most of us on here don't want to pay full for anything. It is a good idea to look on the web I guess for how to season the rice and how to make the best sushi. I bet some delicious stuff can be made.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't but my boss's wife is Japanese so she does it very frequently. I've asked her before and she said that the most important part is to get the right kind of rice. The Japanese short-grain rice works SO much better and sticks to each other better than your regular Jasmine rice or whatever.

She also says because of the lack of Japanese stores we have in the area, she has to go to the next town over (about 1 hour or so drive) but when she goes she buys in bulk to stock up.