Honey

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Peninha • Oct 13, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love honey and I think most of us like it, but I know for a fact that many people don't eat it often what I find strange considering it's one of the most healthiest foods. Do you eat honey often? How do you consume it?

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I eat honey sometimes and I absolutely love it. Sometimes I will put it on toast and just eat it like that, it makes a really good snack.

3. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    Honey is REALLY good for you, like you say it's one of the healthiest things you can eat.
    I usually mix it into my tea, it's not a very overbearing flavor and it let's me have my daily intake of honey.
    My wife is able to eat a spoonful once in a while, but I don't enjoy the taste that much.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only use honey in hot water to soothe the throat when its sore. I like honey in foods like cereal bars, but I don't like the mess it creates. I know there are plastic squeezy containers now, but I only like small amounts and not on toast. I do think it's a good natural sweetener, better than the artificial ones and is good for you.

It's actually a good natural beauty remedy and is good fr healing and soothing. I use products like honey water which nourish and moisturize the skin!

5. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I put honey in everything and everywhere it could be put like in teas and juice. I used it instead of sugar to sweeten. So every food that requires a taste of sweetness, I used a honey. It's really good, and I really like its taste which puts me in wonder how come there plenty of people who don't like.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I once glanced on a comment or an article some time ago that said honey is somewhat risky or harmful because it is raw or contains something bad. I don't know, my memory of it is vague, but I personally have not had any trouble after eating honey. At least none that I know of. I also love using honey in place of sugar, especially for tea. It has additional flavor instead of just being straight up sweet like sugar.

7. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    No, raw honey is good for consumption, it is the processed and cooked honey that is harmful to humans. Raw honey has been found in mummified tombs from thousands of years ago, which was still edible, showing that the bee created sweetener is beneficial but only if unprocessed. If one buys a jar or bottle of honey, and it contains no comb, that is processed and has sugar added. I buy only honey with comb(s) or avoid it all together - cane sugar, artificial sugar, and corn fructose, are some of the biggest factors to causing health problems in humans, which I recommend people lessen their intake of such things and substitute with raw honey or some other natural sweetener.

8. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    I love honey, but I hate bees. Is that weird?

Anyway, honey is awesome with most things. You can put it in tea, coffee, on your bread, in baked goods, you can even use it as a marinade of some kind for fish or other meat :)

What I don't get though is why you can't feed honey to like 1 year olds or younger. Anyone know why?

9. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    We love honey. That goes for everyone in my house, even my kids. We cut up apples and dip them into the honey, we use honey in our tea and we just love it by the spoonful!! This is funny but we love Chick Fil A and whenever we go there they have the little packets of honey and I take a few for my purse and eat it during the day!! My husband loves to do that too!

Hope this helps!

Danyel :)

10. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I really love honey, too! I especially love lavender honey but any will do :). We do a lot of honey in warm tea, dip apples/tangerines/pears in it, have it over waffles and sometimes use it directly in cooking- like with chicken or shrimp. Lots of different ways to utilize it :).

11. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I get a tub of local raw honey when I can afford it. I put it on gluten free toast when I can afford that or use is as a sugar substitute in other things as I don't eat actual sugar. I try to find ways to keep it raw when I'm eating it so I get all the good enzymes in it. It's really good to put a tiny drizzle on really tart fruits to make them more of a treat. The only thing I don't care fore is the mix of honey with chocolate, for some reason i don't like how that tastes. I also love to make peanut butter balls, which are just peanut butter, dry milk and honey.

12. plantain

plantainMember

Threads:
    A lot of commercial honey in the supermarket is from China and has all the good stuff filtered out, and is cut with corn syrup. :( I only eat raw local honey from the farmer's market. The current wisdom is that eating local honey can be good for allergies since it adapts you to the local pollens.
    Sometimes I have a small spoonful of honey before bed, because it is good for sleep. For a nice little snack I like to get a fairly big spoon and have it half full with honey and half full with a nut butter; my new favorite is cashew butter.

13. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My neighbor just gave me a big jar of honey, awesome because honey is more and more expensive these days. One thing I hate about honey though it's how hard it is to apply because I usually get all sticky while putting it in the bread for my kids.