Horseradish Sauce: You Like?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by hayrake • Feb 28, 2015.

1. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    It had been awhile since I'd had horseradish sauce. It's not one of my staple condiment items and I consider it something of a luxury to have gotten a bottle of it the other day.
    I was determined to have some good reubens for lunch and can't imagine them without horseradish so I bought some.
    Oh mercy!
    What a delightful treat. Just a little bit of that stuff with some corned meat (or even plain roast beef) and I'm in sandwich heaven.

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Whilst I do like horseradish sauce, I rarely buy it as I don't cook roast beef all that often and it takes me a while to use up. I'll always ask for it if I'm having something like a roast beef or steak sandwich though and I've been known to take a few sachets home from eateries for future use!

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I love horseradish sauce, it's really good on sandwiches and burgers. Sometimes people suggest mustard as substitute but it's really quite different.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    No, I don't like the stuff. I still think it's a relic of a bygone era. Our palates have become far more sophisticated and for me it's not a taste that's really relevant any more.

5. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    That's an interesting answer. I'm kind of stuck on the "bygone era" remark. Why is it bygone? And I guess I don't have a sophisticated palate because I've got to ask what you mean by the taste not being relevant anymore. I'm not sure what relevance has to do with it. It's a condiment. How could it not be relevant to a sandwich?

6. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    Horseradish is a staple in our house. We eat a lot of beef and as far as I'm concerned , I need horseradish with it. I also mix some horseradish in with my mashed potatoes when eating beef. I don't put it in all the mashed taters, just the ones on my plate. Can you tell, I love horseradish :)

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really enjoy horseradish source. I mean, I would not say that it was a staple in our household, or that I eat it every day and whatnot, but I definitely enjoy it with certain foods. Of course there are foods that I would not dream of eating horseradish source with lol. I love it with chicken, as well as apple sauce. It tastes absolutely amazing.

8. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not big on it with chicken, but love it with beef and venison. You say you eat it with applesauce? That's a new one on me. I'm not sure I can imagine what they tastes like...or that I want to.
    Still, I'm like a cat and curiosity will probably get me.:)

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    Lol!! Cranberry sauce also, sometimes ;) Have you not heard the full saying? It is 'curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back.'

They never tell you the important stuff do they? Hahaha!! I don't mix the two sauces up together, but I will dip what is on my fork into the horseradish and then into the apple sauce, or cranberry sauce and it is amazing!!!

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I LOVE horseradish sauce. I used to eat it straight on rye bread all the time for lunch back in the day but I've always liked extreme tastes: Wasabi, vinegar, hot salsa, so on.

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have always liked horseradish. I usually just pick up a jar of prepared horseradish, and I use it as is or make my own sauces. Try mixing some with a dab of sour cream, some Parmesan cheese, and a couple drops of Worcestershire sauce. Incredible.

Okay, I just have to laugh at "relic of a bygone era" and "irrelevant." How does a taste you enjoy become irrelevant? I like what I like. Maybe I'm just not fancy enough to care if anyone thinks my condiments have gone out of style. :rolleyes:

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I know, right? I can't help but laugh again when I see you caught it, too. It's hard enough to imagine horseradish being a "relic", like we should find a jar of it buried somewhere along with a nice trunk full of confederate money or something.
    And that it is also "irrelevant" is just outright puzzling.
    Very interesting opinion, that one; and I can't help but appreciate it (if only for it's weirdness).
    Onionman is definitely an original.:)

13. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Aah-haa! I had forgotten the tail end of that old cat maxim.
    Cranberry sauce, too, huh?
    There must be something to it if you like it so much. I will definitely have to remember to give it a try.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I love it. I never ate horseradish growing up, until I was in my 20's and happened to be working at a restaurant that used it in a dip to go along with their fried mushrooms. They referred to it as a "piquant sauce", but it was just a mixture of horseradish and mayonnaise - about equal parts of each. It's got a wonderful tangy heat to it, and pairs perfectly with creamy stuff such as mayo or cheese. Horseradish cheese is another favorite of mine by the way.

I wouldn't say I'm totally fond of it straight out of the jar though, just the plain "prepared horseradish" since it doesn't spread very well and can be rather harsh. But mixed into other sauces, and I really enjoy what it adds.

There is a popular brand of BBQ sauce called "Bone Suckin' Sauce" which also contains horseradish in it, and it's really good too.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sure, he's entitled to any opinion he likes. I just didn't know what to make of it, really. It's definitely original. I just didn't know that idea was even a thing.

Ohiotom, that BBQ sauce sounds really good. Horseradish is also quite good in a bloody Mary. I like to buy the prepared style, because I use it for more than one thing. I make my own cocktail sauce, because I like a little more horseradish than what the premixed versions contain. I make a sandwich spread for sliced roast beef, and the sauce I mentioned above for a roast or prime rib, etc.

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I like to try any combinations when it comes to food lol. Some are absolutely awful, and others stick and become life long habits or combinations, so to speak. A lot of my friends turn their noses up at my combinations lol, until they actually try them for themselves. Then they ask me why I didn't make them try them before lol.