Hot Topic - anyone buy anything from there?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by kate23 • Mar 6, 2014.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I'm looking at the Hot Topic online store and there's some cool fandom accessories (Harry Potter, Hunger Games etc) I'd like to buy from there. I've never bought anything from them before so I'm wondering if anyone has any reviews - good or bad - for this store?

2. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I moved out of the states about 5 years ago, so I don't know what the modern Hot Topic looks like now. I used to buy clothes from that store when I was a pre-teen. I guess it was sort of a semi-goth stage for me.

However, I find Hot Topic might be a great store for merchandise and novelties. It could be secret pleasure for geeks to enjoy.

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    Meh, Hot Topic is really overrated in my opinion, but I guess it's pretty great for specific fandom items, like what you're looking for. Though it's a pretty juvenile store that has really turned obnoxious, I still go there for their clearance shirts. They have super cheap band shirts on the clearance rack. I've never had any problem with them. They are pretty reputable. :)

4. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I used to love this store when I was a teenager and in my early 20's. Now, I take my son there for t-shirts. They have some really unique and fun designs and such a variety of t-shirts you just can't find anywhere else. They have a lot of other things to like backpacks and jewelry but we pretty much stick to the t-shirts. Last year he got a couple of great Big Bang Theory shirts and good quality to, they are a couple of years old and still in great shape. I highly recommend this store, look for sales like buy two t-shirts and get one half off, it's not a huge savings, but still it helps. I always see that sale during back to school time.

5. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah. hot Topic offers a lot of exclusive products. I try to shop there whenever i can, but they are a little to expensive for my budget. I only go there when i have some extra money, or someone else is paying. Great store though

6. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    I would shop there if it weren't so outrageously priced. I'm not going to pay $20 or more for one shirt, it is a good place to come for for ideas. As far as I know the clothing is decent quality, just extremely overpriced. I used to shop there occasionally when I had extra money, but not lately.

7. zestytomato

zestytomatoNew Member

Threads:
    Only shop there when there's a sale, and even then you have to check to see if you're getting a quality product for you money's worth. Personally, I would only shop there to get fandom merchandise and that's about it. The Hellbunny clothing they sell at HT you can find for cheaper elsewhere online.

8. Magicman94

Magicman94Member

Threads:
    They have a lot of cool stuff, but I would look very out of place in there. Yeah, it's changed a lot since the late 90s since they were all goth but you do still see a lot of weird people in there. I have been there though, and do like a lot of the stuff they sell. Most of the stuff they have you can't really get in any other store.

9. That'sDevo

That'sDevoActive Member

Threads:
    I use to buy tshirts from Hot Topic, well only band stuff. I had a disintegration tshirt (Cure Album) and a orange Misfits tee but that was it. I think Hot-topic was less mainstream the last I ordered from it and mainly had a lot of cheap gothy stuff and knockoffs. It wasn't amazing then but I'm really surprised at the stuff it sells now, reminds me more of suncoast merchandise, what with HP stuff.

10. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    As much as I do online including shopping I've never heard of Hot Topic; however if their prices are too high then I wouldn't be checking it out for very long! I rarely buy anything that's not on sale or that I can't research to find a lower price. Someone did mention their having exclusive items though and that would make me take a second look since I like to find products that are unique as gifts for others, especially at Christmas time.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the fact that they have Vocaloid and Adventure Time items, but I would be more likely to buy things from the Hot Topic website because I really don't like going to the mall.
    I find my local malls really noisy and crowded. But I don't mind the Hot Topic website and I think sometimes they have decent sales on their t-shirts.

12. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    The only time I buy anything from Hot Topic now is if it's on sale or is clearance. I used to go there a lot when I was in my early teens, since it was one of those places that everyone went. They're nice because their selection of pop culture stuff is pretty large, and they have a decent sized array of band shirts, both old bands and new.

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I haven't shopped at a Hot Topic in a long time!

That being said, even if I find them a little "overrated" or "nichey" at this point, I can still rank their quality as pretty good. I never had any issues with them. They used to feel a bit expensive to me, but it's only because I don't usually spend much money on brand new items.

14. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would feel really awkward "shopping" at one of those stores simply because I'm pushing 40, and would probably come across as some creepy old dude lurking around teenagers, lol. I think people around my age or a little older, can remember when "Chess King" or "Merry Go Round" were the stores to get trendier clothing and accessories. Any kind of "goth" stuff we would get at Spencer's Gifts for the most part, and some local skateboard shops. It's sort of funny now to see a store dedicated to goth merchandise, since that was kind of the outcast group in grade school and high school, lol.

15. Fauxpat

FauxpatMember

Threads:
    Personally, not everything they sell there is necessarily "for me." However, very often you'll find that they have punk and indie records-45s and LPs-usually discounted to clearance prices. It's worth it for a deal if you don't have any record stores with new releases around you.

16. J3NN4

J3NN4Member

Threads:
    You could check out the reddit store. They have a lot of novelty items that are priced well.

I don't buy from Hot Topic because their quality is sort of lacking, and I grew out of that when I hit about 13. I guess they're pretty good for novelty items, but the t-shirts I've bought from them didn't last long, and got holes pretty quickly.