House exchange

Discussion in Travel started by crimsonghost747 • Mar 18, 2014.

1. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    The idea is quite simple, instead of renting out a house for a couple of weeks you make a deal with someone and switch houses for the duration of your holidays. You stay at their house, they stay at yours, and both parties have free accomodation! I've never tried it but it seems like a great way to travel for cheap, and also allows you to profit from your own house instead of leaving it empty for the duration of your trip. I can certainly see some risks and also travel dates may have to be a bit more flexible.

Has anyone tried it? Or does someone know of any reputable websites offering such services?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That sounds like a great way to save money but would I really want to allow a stranger full access to my house? Can I trust them enough even if I lock up most of my stuff? Also, what if you live in a place where no one would want to stay? Can you qualify for house exchange?

3. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I would definitely consider this. I live in a nice coastal village near to Blackpool, Lancaster and Preston in the UK. The person swapping would benefit form being by the sea,a quiet location and being within easy travelling distance of lots of the best attractions in England. Not just Blackpool but less than an hour away from the Lakes District. My one reservation would be cleaning my house!

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have done it. I swapped my apartment in the city for a cottage on the north coast for 5 weeks. I put an advertisement on gumtree.com and had over a dozen responses. In the end I settled for a couple who seemed nice and trustworthy. It worked really well. I got to look after their goats and chooks, while they took care of my house plants.
    I can honestly say that I saved a lot of money and worries that way.

5. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    That is indeed a great idea, however, it requires a lot of organization. It would be great if there would be a website where people interested in house exchange can meet other people interested in house exchange. I'd create the website myself, but I'm not sure how could I get the first users to sign up. Any ideas?