How Bad Are British Movies?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Denis Hard • Feb 12, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest, I haven't watched too many British movies. So I looked around the net to find out what others think about British movies:

"The UK has a habit of producing predictably contrived, American audience friendly dross."

"There are loads of good British films, but unfortunately, they are slightly harder to find if you're not a movie buff"

I can't stand Hollywood films anymore [and that] obviously is the reason why I seek out films made elsewhere. For those of you who've watched or still watch British movies, how would you compare them against Hollywood flicks? Just as bad? Slightly better? Worse?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a Brit, you need to give some examples! There are less films made here, but generally the acting is better (not always) than Hollywood 'actors'.

All Bond movies are British and there are more independent ones which aren't as well marketed unless they have a big name. I still think there are some classics like 'The Full Monty' and 'Hot Fuzz', but I think may US movies are worse. Rather than blame the country, I think it's the studios that choose what to make for the wrong reasons. There are so many cheesy made for TV movies that I watch, because it makes me believe I can do better than the predictable plots and characters.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I think James Bond films are brilliant, and some of my favourite films of all time, but aside from that, they are pretty poor. Not that American ones are much better, although I am a bit bias as I'm not generally a film fan at all.

4. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought British movies are bad, I always found them different in a good way. I enjoy british comedies and humor, as it is not for everyone. I must say that British film industry is pretty good and feels pretty exclusive.

5. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think there's a way to categorize whole country's movie output, honestly. Not to mention "better" or "worse" is a completely objective term..

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Those who think British movies are bad are tried and tested half-wits. I can guarantee you that between a British movie and a Hollywood flick, the former usually is more intellectually stimulating. Most Hollywood films look great because of CGI and controversial content. The Brits are more practical and witty, however. Have you seen An Education, a movie top-billed by Carey Mulligan? How about The King's Speech? These are movies you can't even compare to the likes of Marvel flicks.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think they are just different and a lot of them are hit and miss like anything else. I myself prefer American movies because their tone is a lot less dry but I agree that it gets tiring sometimes. English movies I like are usually ones made for a younger audience because I feel those tend to have more fun and it's a it closer to the American style while still retaining a lot of identity.

8. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you seen Sex lives of the potato men? You can't compare that to Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! See, I can cherrypick too.

9. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    But how are Hollywood films any better then? Should I have to mention Rock of Ages and Miley's LOL movie to make you understand that the Brits aren't all that bad when it comes to filmmaking? To make such feeble comparisons and hasty generalizations when all film industries have their fair share of artistic blunders. Moreover, that movie you just mentioned is great because there's a British actress in the lead role. Or did you forget, you expert movie-picker?

10. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Do you see what you have started here? Have you read all of the comments on this thread, LOL!!
    I almost fell off my chair!

I love all manner of movies, and am a true movie buff, so I'm neutral on this. Hollywood, British, and all of those in-between, above, and sideways... I like them all. Not all movies, but I like movies from everywhere.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really know about the movies per se?? But with the TV shows you can really see a difference. It is the same thing with the British reality TV shows vs American TV shows too. There is a stark difference, and I prefer British. Take the show Skins for instance. It was gritty, real, and ultimately groundbreaking and British. America and MTV tried to replica it, and it got canceled the first season because they Americanized it, and it just did not fit. I prefer British movies and shows. The humor is different.

12. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of quality British films and series. It's just that they're not as industrialized as those of in the USA. Nevertheless, they are still able to provide ones that are really at part with those of the US.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a fan of British movies, especially the ones that have a good dose of black humor in it. :) I also like the British accent and mentality, and not to forget that special light. I have lived most of my life in the tropics where the sun is very strong, and it's only natural that I am attracted to some more somber shades and moody, rainy background settings. :)

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    My most favorite genre of British movie is the hooligan films??? Movies like Green Street and Rise of The Foot soldier?? Essex Boys?? It really embodies the true gritty essence of our Brit culture, and they do it in a way that Hollywood glamour has no idea how to do without making everyone and everything beautiful.

15. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    Well that's just one person's opinion, you should look to a more objective source, it's really unfair to generalize the quality of movies based on one person's opinion. Check out IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes for British movies, watch a few and then form your own opinion.

Let's not forget that Harry Potter movies are British and they're not bad are they?

16. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    British movies are great in my opinion, there are heaps of good movies and productions out there done by British people. Sure there isn't a Hollywood but that's a good thing, we have enough trashy rinse repeat American comedy movies, last thing we need is more!

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hmmm. I am not sure what to make of the comment regarding the UK producing contrived and predictable dross lol. If anything, I feel like American movies do that, and are a lot worse at portraying realism than the British movie makers are?

18. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    They aren't any better or worse than any other movies around the world. It's a little stereotypical to believe certain countries movies are bad. Most of us just don't understand the things and cultures of other countries, movies included.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have never consciously look at it this way before, but I have always know it, if that makes any sense? Like, it's always been in the back of my mind. A lot of countries just do not grasp the cultural references of other countries movies a lot of the time. Everyone seems to grasp the culture of America though, because America is a part of a lot of other country's cultures anyway. I have a friend from America, and she cannot tell me the English terms for certain things, but I can tell her both the American and UK terms for things.

20. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion the output of movies from Britain is too low these days, we just don't seem to be producing enough high quality movies like we used to.

Britain is very good at making gritty, hard hitting TV dramas which are often exceptional but we don't seem to transfer these ideas to the big screen. The only films we seem to make are upper class nonsense with Hugh Grant and Colin Firth acting like ''posh twits.''

Those type of movies are not a true reflection of British life and audiences from abroad do not get an accurate snapshot of the British way of life from them. More films with a harder edge are needed.