How Bad Is Window Shopping For Your Wallet?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Denis Hard • Jan 6, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Many people overestimate their power over temptation but end up spending money they didn't plan to [anyway]. If you are walking around with your credit card then don't EVER try window shopping because you might buy something you didn't plan to. If you must go window shopping then leave your credit card and cash at home.

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Denis Hard, that's a very good piece of advice! I'm a self confessed shopaholic and will often go the mall with the express purpose of window shopping. I do exactly what you say, leave my credit and debit cards behind because I've been known to cave in and do a lot of impulse buying. I usually take very little money, too :)

3. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I actually don't think there's much harm in window shopping as long as you're prepared to exercise the self-control necessary to not buy. I do agree it's dangerous though, not only in person out at stores, but also online when you look at websites and sales. I had to unsubscribe from a lot of stores listserves for this reason :/

4. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    Window shopping is not bad for my wallet because I don't lose control and buy too much. I also don't have any credit cards which is a great thing for me because I don't need the extra expense. If I ever did go window shopping today or in the future I would just look at all the amazing products on the shelf.

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's an interesting question. Personally, I never feel tempted by the things I see in shop windows. I am very disciplined when it comes to spending money. But I have often wondered why I feel as if I have spent a small fortune after perusing shop windows for a while. I have thought about this strange phenomena. I guess it has something to do with switching into the mass consciousness of consumers. :)

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do a lot of my window shopping online because I find it fun and relaxing to look at some things I might want to buy in the future and this way I could also get to research tthe easily while I browse. I admit it does increase the temptation a lot on some days especially when I do find items that I like that much, but usually I'm over it within the next day or two, thankfully.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate walking around the mall anyway because my legs usually ache after quite some time from walking, so I tend to lose money window shopping online. The best way to curb that is to not window shop at all by going to shopping sites.

8. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    I think window shopping is a great way to learn the new fashion trends and see what stores carry the type I would wear. Each year new colors and fashions come out and it is very easy to become out of date. That being said, none of us can afford to switch with every fashion trend so I think window shopping provides a way to figure out which ones and when you want to make the effort to obtain. When I window shop I often take a notebook and pen so that I can mark down promotions, store names, etc. But I do not bring large amounts of money and possibly it could be a good idea not to bring your credit card at all. If you go with the mindset that you are doing 'research' for your shopping needs then you won't be as tempted to buy in case 'there is a better sale' at the next place. Once you have done this window shopping research you can sit down and buy yourself a nice cup of coffee and compare your findings. It will give you the satisfaction of obtaining something that shopping often gives people. Only instead of obtaining and object or unwanted debt, you obtained results that will help you be economically and fashion savvy in the future.