How best to get discounts on Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Scottie • Mar 25, 2014.

1. Scottie

ScottieMember

Threads:
    Everybody likes to get discounts on the things they buy and getting discounts on clothes are by far the best discount to get in my eyes. I get discounts by shopping in stores that gives special offers, like buy a certain amount of something and get something off the next purchase.

What about you?

2. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I know this might sound like an obvious answer but I really think the best way to get discounts on clothes is to buy them online. Just about every company offers online discounts, so you can go into the store to try on the clothes and then actually purchase the clothes online.

3. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Considering the cost of clothes I have to agree, one can save a lot with discounts on clothing. Like eagle22 above I started buying my clothes online and already saved good dollars. My only complaint about shopping online would be that sometimes they get the sizes wrong and I have to ship back and wait for a replacement. Another good way to save on clothes would be to buy them before their season comes: buy winter clothes in the summer and summer clothes in the winter.

4. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I take full advantage of using coupon codes online and actual coupons in stores. The best way to maximize your savings is to use a coupon with a sale.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you're not looking for 'specific' type of clothing, pop into a thrift store . You could get something as good as new at very low prices.

Another great but underused way to get discounts is haggling. Fine there might be a price tag slapped on what you want to buy but chances are it's about 40% above what it's supposed to be sold at. If you ask for a 10% discount, you can probably get it.

6. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    Well, you have to do all of your shopping at the right time of the year. There are a few times in a year when retailers always offer the best deals and discounts.

For one, at the end of the season.

For two, on Black Friday.

For three, during the white sale. As the customers have spent a lot of money during the holiday session, hardly anybody goes shopping in January. That's why a lot of retailers lower the prices in January in order to encourage the customers to start buying things again.

7. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I save money on clothes several different ways. First, I like to shop at thrift stores when I can. Sometimes I find truly awesome items for mere dollars. I've got tons of really cute, modern outfits from thrift stores that I always get compliments on. (Plain t-shirts, cute skirts, etc.) Thrift stores are nice if you aren't looking for anything in particular and just want to browse.

I also try to go to the sales/clearance rack first before looking at the full-price items. That way I'm less tempted to buy full-price and may be able to score some stuff for cheap on the sales rack.

I never use coupons or offers at clothing stores. I don't know when I last did that. I don't know why. I guess it's because I don't spend that much to begin with and I'm also not a big coupon person.

8. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Only buy them during sales. It's not like you need to buy clothes at a moments notice so this shouldn't be a problem. I've managed to get a £60 luxury shirt for £19 once. Usually you can save at least 30% if you time it right, and sometimes up to 60%.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, the best way to get discounts on clothes is sign up online for the stores newsletters and keep an eye out for the sales and promotions. Many stores will do at least a couple of sale throughout the year that are really big with great discounts. If you are signed up for the newsletters, you will know right away whenever a good sale comes out!

10. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Shopping online is a great way to get great discounts through coupon codes and cash back using sites like

I actually tackled my clothing budget after I got my grocery budget under control. A few other tips I have are these:

- shop end-of-season clearance sales
    - get the credit card of the department stores you frequent most often and take advantage of the membership perks (Macy's and Belk have notoriously great coupons for using your Macy's or Belk cards)
    - pair sales with coupons, online and in the store
    - shop consignment stores for expensive brands at a discount
    - re-sell old clothes at consignment stores for a bump in your clothing budget

11. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I often buy my clothes from thrift stores and garage sales. I am also constantly on the lookout for clearance items or marked down prices when I'm at the department store. In our country, there are lots of shops selling export overruns of branded clothes such as GAP, Aeropostale, Banana Republic, etc. Overruns are brand new but priced lower because these are sold in broken sizes. When discount coupons are available online, I also try to use them as needed.

12. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Personally, to save money on clothes I like to hit the thrift stores first. And in the area I was living in before I recently moved they had some nice thrift stores where you feel like you're in a department store where there are some really nice clothes. Some of the clothes honestly look like someone wore them a few times and just decided to donate, and some are actually new with the tags still on them. Now that I'm in an area where the thrift stores aren't as plenty I'll probably be shopping more at places like Ross, Walmart, TJ Maxx ect...where the prices are a bit lower than traditional department stores.

13. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, the big answer here is really just buying things out of season. This means it sits in the drawers for a few months, but it's generally the best savings you'll get.
    As mentioned, the alternative is simply going through garage sales or Thrift Stores, but I know many people have mixed comfort levels on all that.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I save on clothes by always checking the bargain bin first. I always check there first because I often find items that I'd most likely have paid full price for off the rack, only to find out later that there was a similar item in the bargain bin for usually half the original price. Granted, I'm not always so lucky, but I think it's a very good practice to adopt because this way, at least even if you do end up buying the full priced items, you can rest assured that you're not passing over some great discounts in place of it.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    For getting discounts when buying clothes or anything else like shoes, slippers, and other sports stuff, I look coupons on the internet and see if I would be able to find one and use them for free. Sometimes, this it works. Sometimes it doesn't. I also use

. (Visit the site and see how it works, it really does.) The site gives you n% of the original price cash back. And of course I don't miss out the sale parts. Whenever I look for clothes, I first look on the clothes that are on sale cheaper than the original price. There are a lot that are really good. Often I wouldn't have to buy more that aren't on sale.

16. Sam Tarly

Sam TarlyMember

Threads:
    I like waiting for clearance sales at stores, and when they don't have one, I usually just shop at the clearance section in the store, there usually is a small one regardless of season. Also, many stores offer coupons that give pretty decent deductions on full price items. And one last tip, shop at discount stores like forever 21, they have poor quality stuff, but sometimes you'll stumble across gems that are just great value for the price.