How Did You Decide On The Race Of Your Pet?

Discussion in Pets started by hellavu • Jan 24, 2015.

1. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    There are tons of breeds of cats, dogs, reptiles, fishes, birds and hamsters out there. I know I chose my hamster mostly for how cute and tiny it looked; later on, I read about it. Turns out, it's also the longest living hamster, the fastest, and the one who adapts the less easily to humans. Oh well! But I'm not sure I would have wanted a different kind.

What influenced the decision you made when it came to the breed of your pet?

edited because I cannot translate proper. XD I meant breed. Not race.

#1Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't that animals could be, or were also be sub-divided into races. But even if they do exist, it wouldn't affect my choice. Anytime I need a pet [I like dogs] I'll always choose the most active, playful puppy.

Wonder if anyone else takes 'race' into account when selecting a pet.

#2Jan 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  3. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Oh. My bad. In French, we use the word "race" (the same for humans as for pets), so I just used the word assuming it'd fit. Breed appears to be the right word, though.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Ordinarily, my animals don't have to be any particular breed and I'll love them. And I've found over the years that often it's the animal that chooses the owner rather than the other way around. My two toy poodles, though, I did choose for a specific reason--they are hypoallergenic and they don't shed.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the term "race" only applies to human beings. Breed is the more appropriate term for that. You've used it in the body of your thread, so might as well change what's written on your thread title. Anyhow, I'm not really picky with breeds. Cats are responsive by nature. So I guess that's why breeds are of no concern to me. At home, we have common tabbies and one pure white cat. They're all strays. My family adopted them out of pity at first but we're now so fond of them. It's hard to imagine what our household would be like without these cats.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmm, good question. I chose mine based on the size of the box they were crammed into and their likelihood of either being run over by a passing vehicle or snatched up and eaten by wild animals. LOL.. as they say, my favourite breed is rescued.

7. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:

I would if I could. Only the post can be edited, not the title itself.

On a complete other hand, I think it's lovely how many people adopt strays and rescues. They need it most! :)

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All the dogs that we have had were just given to us, and they're a mix of various breeds too. I'm not really particular with choosing the breed of a pet that I want to care for, unless I'm gonna buy that breed. I have one cat right now, and I want to buy a Siamese or Persian cat in the future.

#8Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  9. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Species? :)

I choose anything! At home, we have dogs, cats, and chickens. I don't think that I decided to get one just because of a specific reason. Oftentimes, I get pets because they are in need of good homes. :) I do not look at the breed especially when it comes to cats and dogs because mixed breeds are just the same as the pure breeds that other people keep on raving about.

10. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I never chose my dog by breed. The few my family got from a shelter seem to just bond with my parents the minute they showed up at the shelter. I remember our German Shepherd Lady, they seem to take right to her, but because my father had female dogs in the past and dealt with puppies he didn't want another female dog till the shelter told him she had been spade, so we adopted her. She was actually the last female dog we had. After this we got puppies from friends, and these were usually males. I guess we did have a thing when it came to gender because with female dogs there is more care to consider, the same with female cats. As for breed we did get lucky with acquiring a German Shepherd and later a Golden Lab, turns out these are to fine breeds to have. But we never went looking for them they just seem to find us.

11. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a particular favorite of dog breed, and when choosing our puppy, I didn't take anything into consideration. I saw him, I fall in love with him. My son saw him, he falls in love with him. So we got him. Turn out he was a boxer mixed pit bull, but we still love him.

12. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    "but we still love him", this actually made me chuckle. Nothing wrong with boxers or pitbulls! At least, when they are brought up proper :)

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never really been concerned with the breed of my animals, as all animals that I have ever had were strays. Either they just turned up one day at my farm or I found them in the street, or abandoned in some public place. I never really went out of my way to find any pets. They always found me.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    All our pets were given to us, we never buy pets. And one pet we didn't buy was a rock pigeon we named Twinkle. The youngling came on our doorstep one afternoon before Christmas and stayed and never left anymore. What's amusing is that she forced herself inside the house and lived in our stairway for 5 years.