How do people get so good at using coupons?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Esperahol • May 14, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I mean there are actually shows now about people racking up simply astonishing totals and then getting it free or for like chump change. How do people learn to shop like that and more importantly where does a person go to learn if the local markets are okay with using compons like that? I mean not all stores are likely to let you use over fifty coupons nevermind more than three hundred at a time.

2. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Very good question. It really amazes me! I have just come to the conclusion that everyone and their grandmother is a better and more clued up shopper than me. For real. I was watching an episode of some show and they seemed to have bought a YEARS supply of groceries for what I pay for a week or months. Unreal. I clearly have lots to learn...but I have no idea where to start learning. Lol.

3. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    I have no idea either. Coupons don't work for me anyway. I don't usually buy name brands in the first place.

4. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    I like to use coupons. But the tv shows portray this in a way that is neither realistic nor ethical. It is reasonable to try to save as much as you spend though, and sometimes to have much better savings. The trick is to use a website that matches the sales from your favorite grocery store with coupons to maximize savings, to plan your menu around what is on sale, and to stock up on really good deals so you don't have to pay full price later. By stocking up I mean buying enough extra to last until the items go on sale again in 6 to 8 weeks - NOT clearing the shelves and buying a 2 year supply. Southern Savers is a good site to match sales to coupons in the southeastern U.S.

5. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    What I don't understand is how in those shows the store ends up having to pay the costumer? If I was a store owner I would not do that at all, it doesn't make any sense. That show really doesn't portray things like how they are in real life haha.

6. happyrocinante

happyrocinanteBanned

Threads:
    It takes a LOT of work! You have to do a lot of research on every store's sale, finding the coupons you need, going to several different sales, etc. On those shows you have to remember that these are usually exceptional experiences. I have gotten some things dirt cheap and even free on a couple of trips but I don't stock up like these people. These people do stock up to excess because for a lot of them it becomes an obsession.

A realistic view on coupons is that if you are willing to buy only what is on sale, and don't pay attention to brands, you can usually save about 30 to 40% on your total bill. Before I started couponing I was spending around $100 a week on groceries and household supplies. Now it is more like $150 every two weeks. I have slacked off on the coupons lately so I am spending a little more.

7. Kaycee J

Kaycee JActive Member

Threads:
    Also, I think that some stores are starting to change their coupon policies because of the tv shows. If people think that the way to coupon is to walk in and buy every single jar of pickles on the shelf, then stores have no choice but to place limits on how many "deals" people can buy in one trip. I think in some of the tv shows the stores actually relaxed their policies, which is one of the reasons what you see on tv isn't that realistic. I agree, it can be lots of work to coupon. One of the sites that matches coupons to sales in my area just started a feature matching just the internet printable coupons with the sales for those who don't have as much time to spend at it. I found that helpful, because I am just too busy right now to spend lots of time clipping the newspaper coupons.

8. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    That's good to know Kaycee. I guess I'll start trying to get on board with this, but I don't think I'm going to be letting it become an obsession like some of these folks.

9. greenplankton

greenplanktonMember

Threads:
    Depends on which part of the world you are in. Some countries, or rather some cities, give out coupons quite frequently to encourage the population to spend or when a new store hits the town, then it starts carrying out promotions to attract the crowd as a way for the people to get to know their products. It's all part of the marketing campaigns that firms and companies emply.

10. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I imagine that couponing is sort of a learn-as-you-go kind of thing. Sure, you can watch the shows and follow guides or read books, but actually doing it is probably the best way to learn. I don't really see how people can save as much as they do, but I suppose they stock up to the point of insanity.

I think stores should have some sort of device that lets you scan all of your coupons at home and they can just ring it up as one thing, ignoring any coupons that are expired or can't be used there. That would make it all really convenient. Oh dear, I should patent that.

11. AlwaysAMama

AlwaysAMamaActive Member

Threads:
    It takes a lot of work! I have been couponing on and off for years and I can never get to that level because it takes so much time and dedication and I don;t have a good cheap of free source for coupon inserts. What I usually do it look at my stores ad, plan meals around the sales, make a list of items I need, then scour my coupons and the internet for coupons that much the products I plan to buy. This saves me about 30-40% on my grocery budget. I like to use a website called Foodonthetable.com to match sales and recipes.

12. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    After reading the comments, I don't think I'll use coupons - lol. It does seem like a lot work (but it still sounds fun!). The problem with where I live is that, using coupons is not a huge thing. The well-known supermarkets/stores advertise their specials on TV or newspapers, and that's about it. I watch movies with old grannies cutting coupons from the papers and all, and I'm thinking.. where in the world do I get those coupons?! Must I move to the US? :D

13. beckyv1265

beckyv1265Active Member

Threads:
    I would start with a few and build up. Its not hard its just very time consuming. you have to keep track of coupons and sales. The best way is find stores that do double coupons. Then watch the sales and have your coupons ready. lol The more you use them the easier it gets.

14. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I was thinking the same thing because it has to be a system to it all. I have a hard time believing that they can use multiple coupons for the same item. If you read the coupon it states only one per person, which that would void you buying their whole inventory. I don't know what you would need with 60 boxes of Cheerios. Unless you have a big family, but eventually you'll get tired of eating them. There's so much complicated math that's involved with extreme couponing. I couldn't do it myself, but then again I wouldn't have a use for all those items. It takes up so much space in your house, and I would get tired of looking at all that stuff. The only thing I would stock up on is toilet paper.

15. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    That is actually a really good idea. I think I-phones and Smart phones are getting ot have that technology of scanning deals then taking it into the stores. I 'm not the hi-tech yet.

16. greenmachine

greenmachineMember

Threads:
    I would love to learn extreme couponing being a single mom. I do pretty good at times with coupons but I haven't come close to buying a $100 worth of groceries for like $2. One store visit I did save $40 and another trip around $20. It isn't impossible or not doable to do extreme couponing. There's a local lady who was featured on the news that did Extreme couponing. I think some of the secret is you can stack coupons by using a store coupon then using a manufacture coupon on top of that so you can use more than one coupon for an item, just not two manufacture coupons for one item. There are a couple sites that I do use that matches the coupons to the store ads.

17. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I wish I could be organized and dedicated to a project enough to be good at using coupons. Instead I am a cluttered mess, and I lose coupons until after their expiration dates.

I should find a way to make couponing work for me the way it does on the TV shows. If you ever find the secret, please share it with us!

18. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    When I go to a grocery store, they have coupons right under the product (20 cents off this product). Also, I buy products that give you a free coupon. For example, the other day I bought cereal and then you insert a code for a free coupon towards two litre soy, yogurt or bananas. The website I had to sign up for actually has many, many free coupons. In a way, it centralizes coupons. Try websaver.com!

19. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    All you have to do is ask customer service to find out what their coupon limitations are. Truth is, because of shows like that and the media craziness, most stores won't allow you to do this any more. They put limits on how many you can use at once, duplicates, and coupons per purchase. It's still very, very possible to get freebie items, though, or super cheap groceries if you pair them with sales. If you want to start benefitting, look around at local coupon sites that'll actually do the work for you and all you have to do is print/clip the coupons and show up at the store.

20. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    They really invest a lot of time and energy studying all of the stores in their area and the sales each week. DOn't get me wrong, it can really pay off, but it is very time consuming, and not at all as easy as they make it look on tv. I find it much easier to have a team. I know its too hard for me to monitor ALL of the stores and ALL of the sales, and matching up the coupons. So, I have some friends and we all have our store that we watch for and then just share with the rest of the group. We aren't EXTREME couponers or anything....but we manage to save when we can.