How do you avoid buying food that's bad for you?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Thejamal • Oct 27, 2014.

1. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Something I struggle with a lot of the time is not buying junk food that's bad for me, but I convince myself because it's "just too good" of a deal? For instance, on my last shopping trip, they had 2 large bags of chips for $5. So I ended up taking the deal, even though I didn't really want chips all that much, but wanted to capitalize on the great deal.

So what are some strategies you use to pass on these deals on food that are bad for you?

2. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't avoid it. I eat chips and candy all the time. Although, I am fairly healthy, I refuse to become so "healthy" that I don't allow myself that kind of leeway. I figure it's just part of life and I go with it. I don't believe "everything in moderation," but I do believe that I don't want to go to etremes on either end, so I'll take those shortcomings and let it go.

3. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    Well, not that I actively try to avoid those types of foods, but I do have an idea of how to cut down on buying them. If you know you're going to need to buy food, try to stay away from the sugary isles if you really are that tempted and it poses a big problem to your health. On another note, I will say as many have said for ages, don't go grocery shopping when you are hungry. You will inevitably buy a lot of tempting junk that you will end up eating later. If you go shopping after a full meal you will be less likely to have an appetite to eat so much. I've also heard that you can drink a bottle of water and it will curve your cravings. We often tend to eat junk when we are simply lightly dehydrated. Odd isn't it, I would have never thought that.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's not bad to eat unhealthy foods as long as it's done in moderation so that you won't get fat, so I think that you did the right thing by taking advantage of that junkfood sale. You don't intend to eat them all at once in one sitting, right?

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say that the only way to avoid buying foods that are bad for you, is to simply say no to them. Why would you want to compromise your health by eating products that have little or no nutritional value, and are filled with artificial additives and preservatives? I think that paying a little attention to the list of ingredients of the products that you eat, might be a big eye opener. You might want to research some of those numbers and strange sounding names on the internet, and I am sure you'll start asking yourself whether you really want to put that alleged "food" into your body.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Some grocery stores now offer to get all your groceries for you (you place your order online then go pick it up at the store). All you do is pull up and they bring your groceries out to your car for you and you simply pay them on the spot. There is a $5 charge to do this at the store in my area that offers it, but you are likely saving a lot more by not making impulse buys. Out of sight, out of mind, right?

I also have more luck going grocery shopping very late at night, at the 24 hour stores, when nobody is around getting in my way and I don't have to be tempted by people passing out samples of stuff. I can get in, grab what I need and get out asap.

Or instead of getting two bags of regular greasy potato chips for $5, instead get one bag of something healthier like Sun Chips for like $3.50 and make a commitment to just eat smaller portions of them. For example I like chips with my sandwiches when I am making lunch, so something like a few Sun Chips is a much better option, than say an order of fries.

A small protein rich salad can also hit the spot sometimes when I am craving a crunchy snack. Some croutons, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and olives on iceberg, maybe with a chopped hard boiled egg, and a light fat free vinaigrette to dress it, for example.

7. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't avoid buying stuff that is bad for me. What I have done here lately is to try to buy more fresh raw fruits and veggies to balance it out. Of course then I have to make sure I am going to actually eat them or it doesn't do a lot of good. I do not go grocery shopping when I'm hungry. I guess if you are that worried about it perhaps send a friend or relative to the store for you with a list?

8. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    Make a list before you go and only buy what is on the list. Unhealthy foods are cheap to make so they're always on sale. Getting a deal on chips or soda isn't very special. Don't be lured in by the discounts.

If you want a snack food, maybe try switching to something healthier like a multigrain cracker or baked crisps.

9. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nothing is done without an effort, so for me the best way to avoid buying stuff that is bad for me is to buy healthy food, to plan meals ahead and to have discipline. If I live my work tired and I have nothing to eat and no plan it's easier to fall in temptation.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Go for organic food delivery. Their prices might be a little bit too high but some companies claim that they will charge you the same price [as the store charges for organic groceries]. If that's the case then this would save you a trip to the store and you won't buy any junk food either. Kill two birds with one stone? Healthy food + doorstep delivery.

#10Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  11. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    I find this really difficult. I consider myself an impulsive buyer when it comes to food. When I fancy eating something, I buy it. Usually, I buy junk food when I am craving. :(

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of food, so I don't have that problem. I am however, really interested in the food business, so I pretty much would want to know what is happening in the food network, what is going on with the mobile cuisine, and how digital marketers are re-branding junk food to get more people interested. I enjoy the packaging of foodstuffs and food products, so most of the times when I buy them it's because of the packaging. I like to review them and take a look at the food bloggers network for more. I guess my idea is to keep busy with other aspects of food.

#12Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
  13. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I simply don't think about the foods that are bad for me. I just think and focus on the foods that are good for me and those that I should buy. When I go to the grocery, I immediately discount other foods. I would just go straightly to those items that are in my list, get them and buy them. I don't look at temptations. I don't entertain them. I don't think of the bad foods or the good ones. I just think of those foods that are in my list to be the ones that I should eat.

14. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Usually, all the products that aren't necessarily healthy are that ones that go on sale and stores look to clean it off their shelves in whatever clearance they have. I just try to tell myself that is what they want, which is to have customers buy junk while they price up the healthy food. As a diabetic who has to eat as healthy as I can for my own good, I know that healthy food itself is expensive, so I'm aware that to eat better requires having to pay more. And of course, all you have to do is research healthy foods online and while in the stores, look at the nutritional facts to make sure what you're buying is nutritionally beneficial.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go food-hopping to avoid eating bad food, targeting restaurants with buffet meals and making the most out of these eating opportunities. Also, since East Asian (with the exception of Chinese) and Greek cuisines are pretty much known for their health content, not to mention less fat and oil, I go for these types of cuisine. East Asian meals are spicy and very much rice-oriented. They utilize vegetables in unique and interesting ways. Greek food is characterized by greens and salads. Rather eat a healthy buffet for just a little over $5 than buy junk food (no matter how tempting the deal is).

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I personally just remind myself that I shouldn't force something just because it is on sale and I don't have much trouble passing up these types of discounts and temptations. If a brand I did not like were having a sale, I would still ignore it and the only way I would pay attention again is if they were giving it away for free or at least close to it, and even then I'd still consider the extra effort of having to add it to my carry.