How do you bring the costs of your insurance down?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by GemmaRowlands • Sep 9, 2014.

1. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    If you own a car, you will be more than aware that one of the most expensive things about it is when your insurance is up for renewal. Some people seem to spend very little, while others regularly spend hundreds of pounds per year. Obviously one of the best things to do is not crash, because that can increase the amount that you would have to spend, but what else can you do to help?

I have recently had a black box installed that can see how I drive, and how fast I go. It has reduced my insurance greatly because it can now see that I never speed, and that I rarely drive at night, which brings the cost down a lot.

Has anyone here tried one of these boxes?

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried one of these boxes as I didn't know they exist. My insurance is probably about as low as it will go at the moment. I have 12 years no claims, I am a woman in my thirties with children, I am a professional and I live in a rural, low-crime area. These are all factors that contribute to low insurance. I always do a price comparison search to get the best deal.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    The older you get the cheaper your car insurance. If you put on a lot of miles on your car that should raise your rates as well.

4. Frogurt

FrogurtMember

Threads:
    One way to bring down comprehensive insurance costs is to get a second-hand car, skip the full comp insurance, and just get third party insurance. I have always had second hand cars and never had a problem (except mechanics always trying to rip me off whenever I need brakes changed or fluids topped up). I am also a very defensive driver so I avoid accidents. I am however considering something similar to a black box you described, but a dashcam instead. That way if somebody does cause an accident I have proof that it wasn't me. They cost about $100 or thereabouts, so a cheap way to cover myself.

5. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    For my insurance parking it on the street is actually cheaper than parking it in a driveway. I assume this is because the insurance payouts involved in manoeuvring out of the driveway must be significant enough to affect the price.

6. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    Here are some pointers I came across. Get more than one rate quote before you commit. Evaluate insurance costs before you buy your vehicle. Go high on deductibles. Ask about low-mileage discounts. Ask about all other discounts. Think twice about paying in installments. Avoid lapses in coverage. Also it always helps to have not had any accidents and have a good driving record.