How Do You Celebrate Thanksgiving?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 15, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Sooo, before "the big C" (Christmas), we've got another major holiday that brings family together: Thanksgiving.

Now, where I'm from, Thanksgiving isn't officially recognized as a national holiday, but some families do "ring it in" here by preparing a huge turkey feast, thanking God for sparing their lives, and for the lives of those around them, and sharing warm memories with those who are blessed with the terms "friends and family".

I'd like to get to know what it is that others do on this very special day, as I treasure it dearly to my heart.

How do you celebrate Thanksgiving? What do you give thanks for?

2. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    Thanksgiving is a very important holiday for our family. We have been blessed with so much and it is a day that is highlighted as a SUPER SPECIAL day to give thanks. We thank God everyday but this one is above all.

It is about family for us. Being together with our whole family and just enjoying the family we have been given. We start out early in the morning cooking our Thanksgiving day dinner. (usually at our house because our house is the most accommodating when it comes to bigger groups.) Everyone that is celebrating with us brings something as well. We have dinner and then dessert followed by some football!

Most of us fall asleep on the couch and then wake up for leftovers a few short hours later. I have incredible memories of Thanksgiving. Ones that I am thankful for. :)

3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    This is so great! I'm so happy that you guys really just get fully into it and celebrate having each other around! It's highly admirable, and it makes the heart warm, just knowing that you can look forward to this time of year, knowing that there's gonna be a crowd of family, with all of you enjoying each other's company, food, and sports, and then resting and relaxing with each other!
    I really hope that this is how everyone else spends their Thanksgiving! I'm gonna take a page out of your book. I love sports, food, fun, and fellowship with family, so this sounds like just ridiculous fun! It's like I'm falling out of my seat with excitement, thinking of the plans I'm gonna make for this year's thanksgiving, and I'm gonna make it the norm!
    Thanks for your worthwhile comment!

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I celebrate Thanksgiving with my boyfriend's family. They don't do anything special except fix a big meal and watch football. I have a great relationship with his mom and sister, so we usually chat amongst ourselves while the guys indulge in sports and so forth. We don't sit around the table like one big family. It's sort of disconnected with everyone off doing their own thing inside of his parents' home. It makes me laugh but that's their tradition and I'm use to it. It's kind of the same way with my friends and my own family. Relatives typically come together and just shoot the breeze.

5. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    We're pretty traditional in our home, have the family that lives close (unfortunately not many) over to our house for most of the day. We often watch holiday movies, particularly Garfield and Peanuts Thanksgiving and Christmas versions. The meal is at our house, and my dad and I are responsible for most of the cooking, which makes for a long day, but worth it in the end. My husband's family lives in another country, so it tends to be a small group. Often the weekend after Thanksgiving is when we get our Christmas tree and start decorating for the next holiday.

6. LSJ-8

LSJ-8New Member

Threads:
    My husband and I live a few thousand miles from our families, so Thanksgiving is a relatively small affair. We do have the "traditional" meal of Turkey, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, etc. but we keep it small. At this point in time, we don't really have any traditions, but I would defiantly like to start a few now that my kids are starting to get a little bit older.