How Do You Cook With Frozen Vegetables?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by FirstBaby2011 • Aug 29, 2012.

1. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    Frozen vegetables are nutritious, relatively inexpensive, and last for a considerable amount of time. They rule at our house! However, I am needing some creative ways to cook it. We consume broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and occasionally spinach about 4-5 times a week. I have chopped it up and mixed it in with spaghetti and chili. I have made it into a stir-fry by sauteing it in coconut oil. I have seasoned it with garlic and roasted it in the oven. My motivation to stick to our grocery budget is slowly waning due to cooking the same dull meals. Is it safe to assume that frozen vegetables can be cooked in all of the same ways as fresh vegetables? Any ideas are welcome!

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    You could throw broccoli in some cheese quesadillas or make a homemade broccoli and cheese soup.

Spinach could be used in all sorts of ways, in a homemade wedding soup (carrots would go in there too), a spinach and egg fritata, in homemade ravioli with some cheese, sautee it with some shrimp and toss it in pasta.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    You could always make a vegetable pasta bake. Put a mixture of frozen vegetables in the bottom of an ovenproof dish, top with cooked pasta in a tomato and onion sauce, then cover with wholemeal breadcrumbs and grated cheese. Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes, and serve up with a salad and/or crusty bread. You can also make a soup with frozen vegetables, or make a cauliflower and broccoli cheese.

4. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    We agree that we all think that we need to eat more vegetables, but you have to buy, prepare, preserve it ... The solution is in the frozen food section! You could say that frozen vegetables have almost the same taste as fresh, so it would be a shame not to take advantage. They contain more vitamins and minerals and also to save time cooking, and is a care for the environment. The catalog of alternatives is very large, and this type of vegetables are especially practical for quick and easy recipes. Sandra´s options , for example, are very interesting and respect the essence of this kind of food. I usually use in warm salads or as a garnish for meat. Just have to bring creativity to the kitchen.

5. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    In general you can cook frozen vegetables the way you would cook fresh vegetables. They just won't taste as good in my opinion, haha!

6. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Some of the veggies you mentioned would make excellent cream or broth soups. With little other ingredients you can make a fabulous soup. A tossed salad and some crusty bread, you'll have a great dinner in no time. I have made many soups in my crock pit also. Just start them a little thinner than you would on the stove top.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Frozen veggies can mostly be used the same as fresh, yes. Some methods are better than others, though, because sometimes frozen vegetables can lose a bit of texture. If you cook them in dishes, though, they're virtually indistinguishable.

8. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    For quick and easy, I like to brown up some bite-size chunks of chicken or pork in the skillet, throw in a Knorr Homestyle Stock tub pr 2 (or bottled Teriyaki marinade, or ???), and throw a bag of frozen veggies in with it. Stir, turn the heat down, and let it simmer 10 minutes or so... done! If you want a thicker sauce, mix a tablespoon of cornstarch in a quarter cup of cool water or wine, and stir into the mix.

9. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I love stir fry frozen mixed veggies from Costco. I used it in stir fry with chicken cooked in olive oil first then add the veggies. Or I also use the frozen veggies cooked in olive oil water and butter along side hamburgers (without the bun) and mashed potatoes.

10. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    When I purchase frozen vegetables, I usually use the bag of veggies for a stew, pasta salad or as a side. I'm a big fan of frozen veggies, especially considering how it's just as nutritious as non-frozen veggies and much cheaper. Unfortunately, up here in Canada, a bag of veggies went from $1.29 three months ago to $2.29 last week. Bah!

11. FirstBaby2011

FirstBaby2011Active Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of a vegetable bake! How difficult would it be replace the pasta with chicken?

Thank you to everyone for your creative suggestions! My husband and I follow a mostly Paleo diet, but we will need to start incorporating a meatless meal once a week to help stretch our grocery budget. I am looking forward to trying out these dishes!

12. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried eating broccoli and cauliflower by just steaming them and before eating try to dip it to a soy sauce. Its a bit primitive style but sure you'll like these vegetables half cooked like being steamed.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hi ,

I found this article from Real Simple about dressing up frozen vegetables by adding things like grated Parmesan or kosher salt. Here's the link:

Alternatively, here's an article from Rachael Ray on adding 2 ingredients to frozen vegetables to turn them into different soups.

I hope these help give you more variety so you don't get bored and go over your food budget.

14. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I use frozen vegetables the same as fresh vegetables. I cook them the same way for example, if I buy frozen green beans, peas, greens or whatever, I cook them as if they were the fresh ones that came from the garden a minute ago. Don't be afraid to cook them any way your family likes or might like. Try some new recipes out, there is plenty on the internet.

15. dvharris

dvharrisMember

Threads:
    Yumm! Ill be trying to coconut oil. Our freezer is always stocked with frozen vegetables. We are big on stir fry vegetables. Lately, I've been cooking with chicken and brown rice. I will add some cream of mushroom to the veggies for a creamy taste. A roll is optional. My husband enjoys this meal. On cheat days I will wrap chicken in bacon strip and add the mushroom to it while the vegetables make a nice looking side.