How do you cope with insomnia?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by Dora M • Jun 14, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I have stages in my life where I simply can't find any peace at all. Even though I am really tired to a point of being exhausted, I still feel nervous and burdened and can't sleep at night. I often take calming herbs such as valerian or chamomile. I stretch, meditate, go for a little walk if necessary, but sometimes I find myself wandering around my flat all night, trying to find a way to calm down.
    Do you ever get insomnia? And how do you cope with it?

2. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if I have insomnia but I've been fighting sleep since I was born. My problem has always been though just getting to sleep. I can usually stay asleep once I am there. I haven't had any problems lately. I just use my Iphone until I get significantly sleepy then put it down. Sometimes I drink goat's milk before I go to bed.

3. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have insomnia a few years back and I've done a lot to remedy it like reading, walking, meditate, eating the right food and I even took sleeping pills at one point. And the only thing that really stop my sleeping problems was jogging/running. I don't do the run then walk if my legs are tired. I run/jog continuously for 30 to 40 minutes a day and it did help cure my insomnia and I even lost a few pounds too. :)

4. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I remember a one-day class I took on a field-trip with my church youth-group. A class on dream-interpretation, or something. The priest started the class by telling us how to go to sleep: get comfortable, close your eyes & DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

If I can't do that some nights, I remember sleeping during my brain-injury recovery ... when I HAD TO do nothing. What you kinda do then (a 'quality decision' you have to make that night ... usually because you have to get up fully-refreshed tomorrow morning) is ACCEPT IT---ACCEPT that there's nothing you can do; but when you must, then you shall (... you will when you do ...).

5. JaydonTyler

JaydonTylerActive Member

Threads:
    "Coping" is no different then hiding something. You don't want to cope, you want to cure. If you are not following your desires in life, you won't be happy. You will feel down, depressed.. a weaker version of the person that you are.
    Do what makes you happy. Take a risk if you need to. You know what you want out of life, so go for what you want. Be happy.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had chronic insomnia intermittently for a number of years. The one thing I realized that prevented me from sleeping is having too many thoughts in my mind. I used to write stories then so I would always be thinking about how to make the stories better, how to write tighter transitions and so on. The way to get yourself to sleep is find a way you can cut out your thoughts completely.

Play some music —just instrumentals. And basically try to shut out any thoughts that come into your mind. That could help.

7. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks Jaydon, you are right. With me it's perhaps the opposite. I often have to take risks and worry about the people who depend on me. It keeps me awake at night, thinking about how they get anxious about me, and how deeply they care. I think it is mostly about the big responsibilities that I carry in life that make me restless.

8. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thank you, Denis. I often take out my notebook when I can't sleep, and just write down whatever is on my mind. Often the sentences simply explode on the paper. A strange kind of "fever" comes over me and I write like crazy, unburdening my mind. And after perhaps 5-10 pages of scribbling down everything that bothers me, I feel lighter and clearer and often have a much better understanding of what exactly robs my sleep.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I rarely have insomnia. If I do it's either because I had a nightmare or if I'm extremely anxious or stressed about something. On both situations I'll first try to watch a reality show or something really light-weight, fun and relaxing, or I'll read a book. Those are the things that won't get me out of my bed and ensure me I will be able to relax and fall asleep at least for a while.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Whenever I have insomnia which usually happens during summer and breaks, when I can't sleep I take out a book and read. If not, then I watch a movie. Whatever it is, I make sure that I spend the time that's going to waste while I am waiting thinking and doing nothing to get my sleep. I use that time. I make myself busy until I feel tired that I need a rest. On special occasions that I really have to sleep, I drink a sleep aid, but I only do this very rarely because I am afraid of the possible bad effects of drinking it. So I only drink it when I feel desperate.

11. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion there is no use fighting it, I merely go and lay on my sofa with a duvet and watch TV until I fall asleep. If I try the remedies and wives tales cure then they just keeps me awake longer.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Whenever I'm in a phase where I'm having trouble sleeping, I usually just try as best as I can to tire myself out during the day so I end up feeling so tired by night time that I wouldn't have much choice but to rest and fall asleep. That, and I've also given up coffee because even when I drink it in the mornings, I found that it makes it way more difficult for me to fall asleep in the evenings for some reason. These two tips have worked for me so far because I haven't had much trouble sleeping ever since I adopted this method.

13. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    When I have a lot in mind I tend to struggle to fall asleep in the night but I learnt to finish whatever I had to do for the day, I do exercise or take a walk and I avoid doing or taking anything that can stimulate my brain in the night.

Nowadays I sleep much better but of course I can't avoid it when my baby wakes me up at night for feeding. I think this also gets me extra tired which helps me struggle less to sleep.

14. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    I always heard that people over the age of fifty have trouble sleeping through the night. It especially hits older women much worse. I used to laugh myself silly thinking about that when I was in my twenties. Now that I am over age fifty, none of those things are funny.
    I could hardly sleep nights. I no longer teach full time. I am a substitute teacher. It is so much different because as a sub, you just cannot remain seated. You must get up and walk around to effectively keep a managed classroom. Nowadays when I get home, I try to stay away by completing household chores. 10:00 is when I fall asleep. I awake naturally at 4:30/5:00 am. I've been in this routine for two years. Currently, I no longer suffer from insomnia.

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I know what it feels like to be worried about something and in particular when I have an event happening the following day that may make me nervous I have more difficulty sleeping. It's been rare that I have full on insomnia where I have not fallen asleep at all that night but when there have been have times that I've had insomnia I watch TV and eventually I start to fall asleep. I'm not a big practicer of meditation but it may be a good idea to take it up to help relax you so you can sleep.

16. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I wonder what it is about getting older that brings on insomnia? That's interesting... wonder if it has anything to do with hormonal changes? Getting on a sleeping schedule I think is a good idea.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I can experience having insomnia, because I'm the type that falls asleep easily, so I have never had insomnia. I think the last time I had trouble sleeping is when I was in my teens, I remember lying in my bed wide awake. But as I grew up, my "insomnia" disappeared, and now I fall asleep every time my mind is idle and when I'm lying down.