How Do You Decide What To Buy Someone?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by Diane Lane • Aug 24, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    How do you approach gift giving? Some people come right out and ask others what they want. That's a pretty straightforward approach, and you're bound to be pretty safe buying whatever the person tells you they want, since it's straight from the horse's mouth. If the person is very particular, and obviously unhappy with past gifts, sometimes that's the best approach.

I have some friends who write down a list of gifts they'd like and give it to the other. They then pick one or more items off that list and buy them for the other. They're always happy with what they receive, and they also have enough money so that there isn't much they want or need that they can't fulfill on their own, so this works well for them.

These approaches are fine, but my personal favorite way to shop for loved ones is to pay attention throughout the year to what their interests are, what they purchase for themselves and are given by others, and particularly, what they covet, but can't or won't buy for themselves. Then, if I'm able, I will buy that gift for them. I get the greatest sense of accomplishment and happiness by giving loved ones that which they sometimes didn't even realize they wanted, but ultimately love.

Do you use one of these approaches, or are there others that you use?

2. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    I agree with you. I prefer to give gifts that the receiver can truly appreciate. Asking for the specific item is a great idea but this would only work if you're giving the gift to someone close to you, like family or friends. I also prefer giving practical gifts that the receiver finds useful, so knowing their interests can also be helpful. Also, I have observed that when people have parties most celebrants have gift registry, similar to a bridal registry. This gives the guests that convenience of picking the gift out of the choices provided by the celebrant.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When buying anyone gifts I always buy something which I know they'll find useful.

When buying anyone a gift I place myself in the recipients shoes so to say and try to figure out if I'd like that gift if someone gave it to me.

If I have any doubts then I won't buy that gift which is why sometimes I'll ask the recipient what gift they'd like to get. Saves a lot of time.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I take note of what they like and need. If they don't want or need anything I get something that they can eat or drink, because then I know they will use it rather than it linger in a drawer or find its way into a charity chop.

I don't buy things as often now, as most people prefer to go out for meals or a drink.

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I try to get gifts I know the person will like or I ask what they want so that I am not getting something they may not need or appreciate. I have 4 teenage grandchildren so I give money which they always like. I give food that I know the person likes and I try to stay away from giving clothes to adults.

6. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like asking because personally I don't like being asked. Gift-giving should come from the person who is giving the gift, from the heart. If you pay attention to the person you are giving the gift too you can surely come up with something they like because you know their likes and dislikes. If you're just asking or, worse yet, giving a gift card or money...then you're just gift giving to get it out of the way.

7. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    With my friends, I usually know what they like. I know their interests so I know what gifts to give them. For instance, one of my friends love makeup so much. Just give her a lipstick and she is a happy girl. Another one loves music especially rock ones. A concert ticket or even an album of her favorite band is enough for her.

For my hubby, he really does not like material things. He likes letters and cards. So that is what I give him. It really depends on the person. If I know them personally, it is easy to give them gifts.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is exactly what I do too @DianeLane. I guess it makes it easier when you know the people you're buying for as you'll know what they like and what they don't like. I always listen out and observe everything to ensure I know what they could really do with, listen for clues, and luckily more often than not, I get it right. For my sisters and girlfriends, I also know that if I Iike something, they'll more than likely like it too.

9. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I notice many mentioned buying things that the person needs or could use. I didn't used to think of gifts that way, I thought of them more as wants than needs, and would buy the person luxury type items, such as maybe a beautiful silk robe, or luxuriously fluffy slippers.

It seems as the more economy declines, more people are using gift giving as a reason to provide needs, rather than wants, so gifts seem to be becoming more practical than in the past, at least in my experience. I definitely prefer to buy someone something s/he has been desiring but was unable to splurge on, but if someone can't afford food, luxuries are frivolous.

10. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I go for a combo of asking about a few items the recipient would like, and looking out for things I know they’d be interested in, as well as trying to balance their wants and needs. It works especially well for me because there are fairly inexpensive products *cough* makeup *cough* available here that my friends can’t obtain where they live, and vice versa. There are also a few go-to food items that always work. I feel like being a good gift-giver is mostly a matter of paying attention. Goes for being a good friend too... hmmm. Haha.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I prefer just to observe as well. I think buying from a list of approved items takes away a bit of the charm of gift giving but I can understand why some other people employ that method. Personally, I just prefer to give gifts I think are fitting the person's character because I think a big part of giving gifts is letting people know you know them and love them for who they are, and I think that impact is lessened when the person themselves tell you what to buy them.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thee a few factors that help me decide what I want to buy someone. I usually pay attention to what people say throughout the year, so that when their birthday and other holidays roll around, I know what they have asked for.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if someone has been unhappy with past GIFTS I just wouldn't buy them gifts anymore lol.. good money saving tip for the boards! lol

I don't usually buy gifts people *need*, I'm more the type to buy things that remind me of the person or something that represents our relationship. Hard to explain, hopefully you get me. I buy personal gifts, so it's usually whatever strikes me at the time or I'll just happen upon something that suits them so well I just have to purchase it.

14. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Well first of all I think about the relationship that I have with that person, because I don't want to spend too much money if we're just friends more than anything else. I usually try to make something that relates to me and that person, for example a framed photo or even a collage if we have spent a fair amount of time together. It is the thought that counts more than the money, so if you put some thought into it, then you know you'll give a gift that means more and costs less, which is definitely a double bonus.

15. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I usually try to buy something that is meaningful as well as thoughtful. Nothing worse than receiving a gift that you have to return. I do always give a gift receipt as well, just in case. But I look for items that are useful for the receiver, whether it's a new cookbook, blouse, BBQ set etc, I want the receiver to know that I have put some thought into the gift. I like to give framed photos or homemade scrapbooks. The scrapbooks are fun to make.

16. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    When I know someone well enough to know what they want, I just get them that. However, I have often been given the task of buying presents for my husband's co workers at Christmas time and that is the worst. Even generic gifts are hard to figure out and make special. I tend to go for gift baskets with wine and food because everybody eats. I know some people don't like getting food, but what else is there?

17. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As the most important aspect of gift giving for me is that unless the recipient gets pleasure from whatever I've chosen to give them - its absolutely pointless spending money on something that is going be put in a draw, thrown in the bin or re-gifted to someone else - I always do my best to choose gifts that come as a pleasant surprise - regardless of whether they are wants or needs - for example - it may be a beauty product, a book, a game, tickets to a show, a favorite wine or food item or even something practical for the home - that they have either been longing to own or particularly like - but go without - as they can't justify or afford the expense of buying for themselves.

In fact with older people its even easier as although I sometimes give hampers of food if they are struggling to make ends meet and generally disguise the need by adding in a few extra treats such as their favorite brands of something they love but rarely have - I've found that sometimes the gifts that cost almost nothing other than a little of your time - are often the most appreciated and welcome of all.

18. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually when I give someone a gift I'm more or less familiar with that person already, so I pretty much know already what that person likes or their hobbies, so I will give them something based from what I have observed. I don't like surprises, so to be safe I might also ask what the person wants if I have no idea yet regarding their personality or hobbies like in Christmas mandatory exchange gifts, for example.

19. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Usually I am very indecisive on what to get people as a gift. The only times I buy with confidence is when I hear people saying what they need. For example just now I talked to my aunt and she mentioned her phone has been having issues and she needs a new one but does not have money to afford buying a new one. So I am thinking about getting her a new phone for her birthday. It will be a more expensive gift than I had the intention of buying, however she did so much for me in my life, I think I will get her one!

20. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Two ways. First, like most people in this thread, I listen and observe. If somebody expresses an interest in something during conversation, or while shopping, I try to tuck it away in the back of my mind for later. Second, I ask other people likely to get 'em a gift. I don't always know a person's tastes best, and second opinions are invaluable in cases where that person has a more knowledgeable friend. It's also handy to do this so you can discover whether somebody else is already buying what you're planning on getting.