How do you do Movie Night?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Zyni • Oct 6, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you have a family movie night, how does it work? Do you rent movies, buy them, go to the movies, or do you use a service like Netflix? Do you make snacks or order pi**a or something else? Do you and yours take turns picking out movies? When our kids were all still home, we used to have pi**a and a movie night. We'd usually get fro*en pi**a or make homemade, but occasionally we'd order. We took turns picking out a movie from week to week. It was fun and something to look forward to. We used to rent movies back then (these days we usually use Netflix).

2. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I usually prefer to rent movies and watch it at home. I think it is one of the best and cheapest way to plan a movie night. We can watch the movie at home at our own luxury. Also I would like to try out going to theatres at midnight to watch horror movies. I think it would be really fun.

3. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I usually just sit in front of my laptop with some kind of snack and watch movies on Netflix or a different streaming website. I don't tend to go anywhere for "movie night," I much prefer the comfort of my own home.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We rent a redbox movie, get some popcorn and other snacks to munch on while we look at the movies. We are get our pillows and blankets, we have our favorite spots and just relax and enjoy the movies. We a large screen tv with the surrond sound that really makes it a pleasant experience.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a large collection of blu-ray discs and DVDs. When I want to watch movies with family or friends, I bring out the entire collection and let those who are going to watch the movies choose the movies they want to watch. If there are five of us for example and have only enough time to watch two or three movies, those present will have to select their movies then they'll vote for which ones we will watch.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For those who would like to go out to the movies, check to see if any theaters in your area offer a matinee or cheap movie night. Matinee is usually Saturday afternoon, often kids movies, from what I've seen. Cheap movie night is usually whatever their slow night is. Sometimes you can get tickets for as much as 50% off on these occasions.

7. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    I like to watch something on Netflix picked up from a list I have made beforehand. After every movie I watch I browse through the catalog and add more movies that seem interesting to the list. Of course, we don't always watch what's on the list, but most of the time there's something we wanna watch on it.

8. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Those all sound like good options, except for the 'going TO the theater'-one (as that's more like a 'going out'-practice & not a 'family time'-practice).

But with the other options, I think 'not knowing which one you're gonna do' adds to the spontaneity that makes movie-night fun!

9. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    I have a movie night by streaming foreign horror movies from youtube. They are surprisingly a whole lot of full movies on youtube if you look hard enough.

10. McsSlep

McsSlepNew Member

Threads:
    I like to rent movies or go to the movies so we usually do both. We usually eat piZZa or snacks or something of the sort.

11. Evelyn Freshsmith

Evelyn FreshsmithMember

Threads:
    Rent/ buy, its your call. In my family's movie nights, I move the couches out and bring in the mattresses to the living and all the blankets and cushions and order whatever children ask for ( usually we end up at Chinese). Its the best time. :)

12. lrd913

lrd913Active Member

Threads:
    We used to go out to the theater but that stopped once the prices continued to rise. I went out to the theater for a Matinee showing with my mother last weekend and it was almost $9.00 for a 3:30PM show. Any show after 4PM was $11 and that is just not something I am willing to pay all the time.

Movie nights now usually consist of Redbox and/or streaming video sites. We'll sometimes use Netflix if we want to watch something older or we will check the "New Releases" and "Recently Added" sections. We also use Vudu on the Roku.

We will order pizza and just chill out on the sofa. It's nice to just relax and watch a movie sometimes.

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We do usually order pizza or some other food that's delivered first, and if not we just go and buy ingredients then make our own. After that we just either pick up some Blurays or DVDs then we play them on our tv in the media room. If we don't have discs then we just go stream it online or find something from the library of files we've downloaded.

14. TheKid

TheKidNew Member

Threads:
    Well, here's what I usually do. I rent a few movies, something of everything so that everyone will be able to enjoy something. Then I order pizza, make a huge christmas bed and watch all the movies in a random order on the wall(I have one of those projecter things) they work great.

15. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I get my hard drive movie bank and watch the movies I have downloaded throughout the one semester, but I didn't watch. I watch them in my computer when I am alone, but when I am with my family like my cousins or my siblings, we connect the laptop in the HD TV and we watch a movie altogether. Either alone or with my cousins, I enjoy watching movies all night, until I could no longer resists my sleepiness. Even if I get tired I still watch the movies, because I only do it once in a while, so I make sure that I would be able to make the most of it. I don't feel the same towards my friends though. When I am with them, I would just want to tell stories and experiences. I don't feel like watching movies. It's absurd to bond with the people you didn't see for quite a while by watching movies which would not let you get to know what happened to them in the months you were not able to see each other.

16. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    Brother to my younger sister, we get together, prepare popcorn or chips or order pizza and usually watch a movie off a box. It's usually a young-adult adaptation movie, a drama or horror movie that we end up watching. I always immensely enjoy dimming the lights and engaging in quality movie time where we get to have ourselves entertained, laugh when it's time to laugh, get frightened when they're scary scenes and sometimes even get moved by scenes that are just too emotional to not get saddened by. I'm telling you, there is nothing quite like the experience of watching movies in your own cozy, comforting space.

17. Servace

ServaceActive Member

Threads:
    For movie night I like to look for foreign horror flicks online. I feel like foreign movies are scarier than the american ones.

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My family doesn't really have a "movie night". We just watch movies whenever. It's not a scheduled thing. We don't really need it to be. It's just my daughter, my dog, and I. My daughter and I are really close, so we watch things together anyway.

19. soultakerkage

soultakerkageMember

Threads:
    My wife and I try to have a "movie night" at least a week. We go out to get drive thru food and turn on the XBox 360. I love Netflix. Of course, we have to have our cats join us as they always to sneak some food to snack on from us.

20. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    I grab a lot of pop-corns, snacks and a lot of cola in order to stay awake. I usually select my movies with some of my friends which will also watch them together with me on the "movie night", it lasts usually between three to even eight hours sometimes. Next thing I make sure is that I have good luminosity in the room (which means it's completely dark) and let the fun begin.