How do you extend the life of your shoes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by True2marie • Mar 5, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Admittedly, I am hard on shoes. For this reason, I either have to purchase expensive ones or do things to cheap ones in order for them to last.

One trick is to add padding to the inside of the shoe as well as no slip grips on the Heels. You can get these items at a Dollar Tree or Payless for next to nothing.

2. marmunmrhundun

marmunmrhundunBanned

Threads:
    I extend shoe life a lot. One of the most effective way of extending your shoes life is to limit the amount of creases you get in a shoe. Everytime I get a shoe, the little cardboard thing that comes inside the shoe. I cut it off at the top and slide it right back in the shoe and wear it like that. It helps keep creases out of my shoes, and it makes your shoes more durable.

3. erikao1o

erikao1oMember

Threads:
    Ugh, I am definitely hard of my shoes too. I live in Canada, and the salt and snow are really damaging towards my boots. All of my boots have horrible white salt stains, and some of them are even starting to fall apart. I also have a hard time keeping my TOMS in good shape. They tend to get smelly and dirty very quickly, as TOMS are meant to be worn without socks. I was told by a friend that it's ok to put your TOMS in the washing machine, although I'm a bit too nervous to try that out myself! I'll be watching this thread to learn everyone's special shoe saving tricks!

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I usually just try to buy a lot of them so I don't end up overusing just one. I am very rugged with my shoes as well, so just so I don't end up being too stressed that I'm messing up my shoes, I just decided to come up with a way that I'd just use them less frequently and thus I arrived at the decision to just have more options to interchange with during the week. There are also products out there to prolong the life of shoes, I'm sure, but I'm just too lazy to have to maintain them in that way, to be honest. I may consider it if the shoes were expensive, but even then I think it lessens my enjoyment of my shoes if I'm forcing myself to have to make that extended effort just to take care of them.

5. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really do anything with them in particular. One trick though that I have observed through the years is that you need to keep on using your shoes instead of storing them in the box for a long time. At least you need to take out a shoe from the box and wear it outside at least once every 2 weeks. If they are kept longer than 2 weeks, they material tends to crack or the sole tends to detach itself.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    The best way to extend the life of your shoes is to make sure you have several pairs. At least this way you can wear the shoes at most twice per week and still keep it good looking. The also every shoe type has its own way of keeping it clean and making it last linger. Make sure you follow the given guidelines to maintain your shoes well for a long time.

7. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    When you have many different shoes to choose from and you don't wear a pair very often, you end up saving yourself that shoe as it will last much longer than if you go consistently wearing it every chance you get, adding to the rapid pace of the wear and tare. I have a pair of shoes that I've barely worn and kept in great condition for several years. I just make sure to wear it now and again to avoid the moisture of the shoes from sitting there and drying up, which could completely defect the footwear.

8. victor

victorNew Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of them and make sure i wear them one after the other just to extend it life and when i buy new one i use it and then go back and start wearing from the old ones again one after the other vice versa.

9. margarito

margaritoMember

Threads:
    This is the same case with me mate. I was too hard on shoes and no shoe last more than three months in my regular usage. I always wanted to know few tips in order to save my shoes but I actually know nothing. Apart from the cost I afford for them I seriously have less satisfaction because somehow or the other I manage to ruin them. I'm in need of such valuable tips.

10. Nicole87

Nicole87Member

Threads:
    My shoes usually last me for at least a year. I don't really do that much to extend their life, though. I weatherproof my shoes quite often with a water repellent and if a shoe came with its own storage case, I keep the shoes in the storage case while I'm not wearing them. The storage case can actually prevent structural damage by not letting the shoes to become too dry and crack.

11. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Well I usually buy a decent pair to start with. That way even if you don't maintain them at all they should last at least a year. Generally though I will get the leather changed at a cobblers every time I start to see wear, which is usually about twice per year. I also use insoles to not only add comfort, but as a very cheap disposable cover which helps keep the sole maintained.

12. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I try to wear the right shoe for the right task. I do a lot of walking in my daily routine as I walk to and from work. This can be hard on a pair of nice shoes. I can change into my work shoes rather than walking in them and that saves them a lot of wear. Water can be a menace to a pair of shoes so not wearing expensive shoes in the rain is a good way to protect the better pairs.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shoes for me are always a major investment. I wait until I have enough money to buy high quality shoes. By that I mean shoes that not just appeal to me visually but that also feel perfect on my feet and last for at least a couple of years. I buy shoes that are made from quality leather or canvas and that don't have strong dyes in them. I always check whether they are actually stitched together or just glued. There is a big difference. For me the shape of the sole is very important. My favourite shoes are those that are stylish but also have orthopaedic qualities, such as NAOT.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If yours are leather shoes, there are ways you use to extend their life. You could for starters apply a protectant to shield the leather from getting stained. And guys, if you're buying shoes and just storing them for future use, it's certainly not the best way to make your shoes last.

15. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    This is a major problem for me, my shoes get really damaged quite quickly even though I don't do anything out of the ordinary with them.
    The main thing I find is to not skimp on quality when you are buying the shoes, a 60$ pair that lasts you 3 times as much as a 30$ pair is the better investment.

16. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    By owning a few pairs and wearing them alternatively. If you wear the same pair of shoes all the time they'll break eventually no matter how much care you take of them. So, it's recommended that you own more than one pair and switch them daily since the fabric needs time to breathe after you wear them. Even inexpensive shoes can last a long time if you give them a break and wear another pair from time to time.

For leather shoes just make sure to polish and wash them regularly and you're good.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that you can extend the life of your shoes by buying several cheap ones for rugged use and buying the more expensive ones for "special" use. Also avoid walking in rough surfaces since it tends to wear out the soles faster.

18. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am very hard on shoes. I haven't been able to find a way to extend the life of my shoes. I have no problem keeping my heels in good shape because I don't wear them often. I'm lucky if I can get my everyday shoes to last three months.

19. Richiee

RichieeNew Member

Threads:
    I'm hard on my shoes as well just like most of you guys here.

But I do have some tricks up my sleeve in order to extend the life of my shoes. You see, the reason why our shoes don't last is because of frequent usage. And one way to prevent that is by having at least two pair of shoes that you can use interchangeably. Doing this will drastically increase the life of your shoes because they'll experience less wear and tear.

Another reason why our shoes break is because of water. No matter what the person who sold you your shoes said, shoes ain't waterproof. That's why always having a pair of slippers with you during the rainy days will prevent your shoes from getting wet. Now I'm not saying that your shoes will break when it gets wet. My point here is that water damage accumulates and eventually becomes a huge factor as to why our shoes break. And it's better to minimize the damage to our shoes rather than spend money again on another pair.

Finally, make sure that you clean your shoes once a month. My father used to say that when we care and love our things, they give us their care and love as well. That's why cleaning our shoes once a month will not only make them more pleasing to the eyes, it will also extend their shoe life. :)