How do you feel about flowers?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by anniep1978 • Sep 20, 2012.

1. anniep1978

anniep1978New Member

Threads:
    Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary. This afternoon I discovered a $50 charge on our debit card from a florist, and shortly thereafter a bouquet arrived. They are pretty, but I can't stop thinking 2 things. 1. THAT cost $50!! It's pretty small IMO, especially for $50. and 2. We are just getting to the point of being up to date on all accounts and have just started funding our sinking funds. Now I have to cover paying for these flowers!

How do all of you feel about the price of flowers?

2. fishyfinz

fishyfinzMember

Threads:
    Flowers are definitely over priced and one big reason why I feel like its a waste of money buying them. I agree that flowers are pretty to look at but they last only for a little while so spending $50 for a bouquet is just not worth it. I'd rather buy a potted plant instead. :)

Happy Anniversary!!! Have a nice day.

3. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    It's funny what happens with flowers. If we think, they are everywhere, are part of nature and is a bit strange putting a price on their color and perfume. However, when someone gives flowers, what matters is the gesture. We live in a society in which all translates into money, and necessarily the florist business is one of those many businesses. In my city, the cost of the flowers is quite high. I think they were always expensive. For that reason, particularly women enjoy such gifts, because it's a sign of affection and attention. I've given some flowers over my life and they were always welcome. Again, it´s absurd to put a price on their beauty, but they are the rules of the game.

4. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    A simple card would have sufficed, but some people like to say it with flowers. The sad bit is they don't last and soon find their way into the bin, and all traces of it are soon forgotten by the recipient. Any other non-perishable gift would at least last longer!
    I suppose some of these high-priced flowers are imported from another country. Add to that the bouquet arrangement and delivery costs, and the cost of a simple bouquet rises.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I HATED receiving cut flowers from my ex because I am frugal and see it as wasteful to spend $25-$50 on something that will die in 3 days. I also see them as useless because I can't eat, wear or use them.

Dang, $50 would buy so many things it makes me almost sick to think of that amount spent on a bouquet of cut flowers.

Frugal people are hard to buy for because we know the value of a dollar.

#5Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  6. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    Well first happy anniversary! As a money conscious newly wed I can relate. I love flowers but also realistic in realizing the day is about the union and not spending a crazy amount of money on certain elements of the day. Honestly if I were in your shoes, if I was able I would just go to the corner flower seller on the street and buy the best fresh flower bunch of roses and call it a day. A friend of mine just eloped at city hall and did the same thing.

7. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    Happy Anniversary and I agree with you. Flowers are a little expensive, I always tell my significant other that a romantic home cooked dinner or card will suffice to celebrate our anniversary.

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Happy Anniversary. Yes, flowers are expensive, but it's the thought that counts. It was a sweet gesture. At least he didn't forget your anniversary.

9. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    Flowers are very expensive, but it was a special occasion after all. I prefer not to buy cut flowers because they die so fast and as you said they cost a fortune. I would have spent the 50 dollars on a nice meal so both of you could have enjoyed it.

10. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah flowers are definitely expensive, you could did some thing extra special for that much. Happy Anniversary and many more!!

11. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    Happy Anniversary to you and many more. I would love flowers also but as you said they are very expensive and would rather you spend it on a nice dinner for the both of us. Flowers are so beautiful and my favorite kind are pink roses and birds of paradise. So instead of giving me flowers, plant some birds of paradise in my yard and pink roses and I can see them everyday and that will be my Anniversary flowers every day of the week.

12. derpybird

derpybirdMember

Threads:
    I love flowers and it's always great to give or receive a beautiful bouquet but I agree they are so expensive. Especially the one's from the florist shops that deliver them to homes. I prefer farmer's markets because they are fresh and relatively inexpensive. Even grocery stores have prices that are more reasonable than florists do. I also grow my own flowers in spring and summer and bringing such a thing of beauty into the home is always rewarding and even enchanting. Happy Anniversary to you and your husband.

13. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    I do love a nice bouquet of flowers, I just think it is a shame that they cost so much only to die a week or so later. There are some nice fabric arrangements out there but I don't think you can really beat fresh. I know I have always loved being bought flowers.

14. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I am not a fan of flowers in general. I can understand people who really enjoy them, though, or who really enjoy giving them even. For them, the price isn't quite as important as the feeling they should produce. If you don't feel that's important right now, maybe you should let your partner know?

15. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Yes, they're expensive, but it sounds like your partner wanted to spoil you. It's just a pity he didn't charge it to a different card, because that's rather crass. You don't buy a gift and let your partner know how much it cost. He could probably have taken you out for dinner for that amount - or did he do that as well? At least he remembered the date - lots of men don't.

16. malia22

malia22Member

Threads:
    I love receiving flowers!!! My boyfriend always gets me flowers every month on our anniversary in really cute ways like this month he gave them to me in a watering can!! I just think fresh flowers always liven and spruce up a space. And smell so good!! :)

17. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Happy Anniversary and yes, they do cost that much! The delivery fee itself is $14. I think you should graciously accept it this time, but later on (not any time now) mention to your husband that you prefer going out to dinner and spending time with him instead of flowers.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I love flowers and I like to keep them in the house. I get the inexpensive bouquets at the supermarket that are usually three for ten or twelve dollars. I don't think the issue for you is the price of the flowers though, but the fact that money from a joint account was used when you're deal with financial challenges. You need to have separate accounts for spending money that you are each free to spend as you see fit so that bill money goes where it's supposed to go.

19. NikkiSplash

NikkiSplashNew Member

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of flowers, especially not for $50! It's a waste. You are basically throwing money in the trash. I'd rather go to dinner or have him buy me a new set of pajamas from Victoria's Secret for $50, Or a live flower would be cute too. My boyfriend bought me a live orchid once, and a bamboo plant another time. I still have both!

20. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Happy anniversary! I love flowers, I believe that an anniversary is a special occasion and you could splurge once in a while. Hey, I actually love receiving flowers, I guess most women do. Forget about the cost focus on the love. You are precious is what he means to say. Have fun. Some women would really envy you, I know they always do when my husband sends me flowers.