How do you get rid of cockroaches in a natural way?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Dora M • Jul 30, 2014.

1. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always wondered what natural ways there are to get rid of cockroaches. People often think that cockroaches appear because there is a lot of dirt, but it's not necessarily the case. In hot, humid climates cockroaches are a part of everyone's household, no matter how clean it is, unless you spray poison around the place. I never wanted to use poison as I had pets and was worried that they might get sick from it. So I made up my own cockroach deterrent spray by using pure lemongrass and orange oil. It kept the cockroach population under control, even though it wouldn't get rid of every single one of them. But that didn't really bother me very much.
    What's your experience with cockroaches?

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just spray poison in cracks where my pets can't get to it and I clean frequently, especially in areas like cabinets where roaches like to hide. I think my neighbor recently bug bombed her place and her bugs came scurrying over to my place, because I didn't have this many little roaches a month ago and I clean a lot and don't leave food out.

3. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    What kinds of pets you have? If you get a cat they are pretty good hunters. When I had only 1 female middle aged cat I had problems with roaches, like you said I live in a hot and humid climate and in a rented apartment so even if my space was clean the outside wasn't perfectly clean. But then I adopted another cat and he's a great hunter. I moved 2 months ago and the place was filled with cockroaches (it was closed for a few weeks before I rented it), after a couple of days I don't have roaches anymore.

If you do want to get a cat as i would recommend you get one a little older instead of a kitten, so you can know his personality. Between 6 and 8 months you can start to see what the personality will be like. Adopt from your local shelters or rescue group. Some cats are more active and better hunters than others (trust me I have 5). Also make sure you introduce him to your other pets slowly so they will accept each other.

My cats don't actually eat bugs. They kill them and I find the dead bodies around.

#3Jul 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here we just use Baygon or kill them on sight. But since you're looking for natural ways to get rid of them, I think this link can help:

5. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:

#5Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014