How do you keep your brain healthy?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by 003 • Jun 1, 2014.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We expend out efforts to make ourselves physically healthy, but aren't we focusing too much just on our body. How about our brain, our cognitive ability? Do you think we are giving it the same amount of attention? So I feel that's it's necessary that I take special actions only for the main benefit of my brain. Here are are those:

1. I complete the recommended 8 hours of sleep.
    2. I eat brain foods like nuts, whole grains, oily fish, blueberries, tomatoes, brocolli, pumpkin seeds and a lot of other fruits and vegetables.
    3. I also do sudoku and other mentally stimulating games and activities for my brain not to get rusty.
    4. I also drink omega 3 fish oils and vitamin C.
    5. Next that I'd be doing is that I am going to drink glutathione.

Any more suggestions? What are yours?

2. Frederick25

Frederick25Banned

Threads:
    All of these are good steps to keep the brain healthy.
    I eat the nutritious foods, take fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, beans, fish and seafood in my routine diet to make my brain healthy. Me also do yoga and meditation to keep my mind relaxed and get rid of various mental illnesses.

3. dizzykitsune

dizzykitsuneActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that the list you've provided is very relevant in usefulness for the health of your brain. There are other methods as well. Supplements known as 'Nootropics' are very good for brain cognitive function. Three years ago my boyfriend, Kyle, suffered a brain injury. He was reduced to limited function equivalent of that of a three year old. Over time his brain has recovered and he's currently at an estimate of 70% of the functionality he had before the brain injury. With that in mind, he's taken all of the steps you've listed above along with a few others to help restore his brain. As mentioned before, he occasionally purchases supplements known as 'Nootropics' to help boost his brain function. He also tries to buy supplements that help the neurotransmitters in his brain. It's above my pa ygrade to explain how it works, but I have basic knowledge based on what he's told me from his research in his quest to heal himself.

4. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I drink plenty of water, which is very important for overall health, since it aids in brain function. I get plenty of sleep and try to eat as healthily as possible. I read a lot, which is very good to keep your mind active and sharp. I also like to do word search puzzles and crossword puzzles. Any activity that will keep the brain challenged and engaged will be of great help to us in the long run. I also like to listen to classical music. I did not know that vitamin C helped with brain health. Now that it is cooler, I will be taking vitamin C to help my immune system, and it looks like I will be boosting my brain health at the same time. Thank you for mentioning it.

5. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I never thought that glutathione can do something to enhance the brain. :confused: I thought it's only for the liver and for making the skin more whiter?

Well anyway, I also try to do the all things on your list, except for number 5 because It is only now that I'm aware of it. :D And in addition, I also do regular exercise (running). I try to run at least 4 times a week. Running helps me think and I usually get good ideas when I'm running. I think it helps me get rid of stress and clear my mind that's why fresh ideas are coming in. :)

6. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I think that the best way to keep your brain is healthy is to take care of yourself thoroughly. One must learn to eat, sleep and exercise to the fullest to give your mind the right amount of care. Also try to give less stress to the mind to help it be calm and quiet.

7. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever thought of meditation as a option for keeping your brain healthy? The techniques above do show you how to train the mind, but they neglect to show you how to control the mind. Mediation allows you to understand your thoughts, actions and emotions. I would recommend looking up some more information about this practice. :D

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just as you excerise your body you must workout your brain as well as feed it good food. Doing cross word puzzles is a good workout for the brain, adding numbers in your head is also a good workout. As you get older your brain needs more excerise to keep it sharp, motor skills like playing video games can also give the brain a good workout.

9. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    Eat healthy, get enough sleep, and be both mentally and physically active.

Being mentally active is well known, but physical activity increases circulation to the whole body, including the brain as well as has many other benefits for overall health. Keeping your brain healthy and keeping your body healthy go together.

10. tipoywizard

tipoywizardActive Member

Threads:
    I make sure that I get 8 hours of sleep everyday. It is the best way to relax not just the brain but the entire body as well. I drink plenty of water and eat healthy foods. I always pop multivitamins everyday to add the needed vitamins and minerals of my body. I do some exercise too.

11. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Good suggestions all around. I just want to add that exercises like running or any form of workout actually helps you keep your brain healthy. It's been proven by professors like Dr. Terrence Sejnowsky that exercise actually helps build new neural connections and maintains old ones.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Great advice. Sufficient sleep is a big factor, in my opinion. Also, I think it's very important to not get too comfortable with habits as it is always important to keep on learning something new even when you get older, and it's probably more important to do so the older you get, to be honest. I keep my brain healthy by staying curious and trying to soak up as much new knowledge as I can from online sources and documentaries.

13. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    That's a good list. Thanks for sharing.

Actually, I also do the same things. Eat healthier too, always go for fruits and vegetables. Exercising regularly and yoga do help as well. I think taking glutathione is another good method of detox, you'll get glowing skin in the process of continuous consumption. I'm also considering taking it.

14. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    These are really useful tips buddy...!! Thanks for sharing them with all of us.

15. ZRadach

ZRadachMember

Threads:
    lowest all cause mortality and best cognitive ability (as surveyed from lumosity and a study i read on pubmed) is somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5 hours sleep.

fish oils, like all oils, cause arterial damage and stiffen the walls thereof, reducing/restricting bloodflow/nutrition to the brain and/or causing other vascular issues. the liver was proven in one study to produce over 50 TIMES the brain's requirement for long chain omega 3 PUFA's from ALA, which is found in most plant foods and in abundance in some specific plants, such as flax seeds. vitamin C may CAUSE oxidative stress when consumed in large amounts all at once like in pill form instead of through food.

glutathione peroxidase is too large to be absorbed by the GI tract, so eating it probably doesn't raise blood levels of it, similar to insulin (that's why they inject it... they have to).

when you say recommended 8 hours... recommended by whom?

some of the best time tested ways to stay sharp are: meditation, probably any type. yoga. cognitive challenges, like sudoku or learning a new language. vigorous and moderate exercise. lots of fruits and vegetables. more notably, people that don't eat meat have half the odds of dimentia overall, and the longer they go meatless, the stronger the protection. makes sense since it would promote vascular health in the brain via keeping bloodflow high due to low levels of blockage due to atherosclerotic plaque formation.

thanks for reading! :D

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I don't sleep well at all and have Anxiety disorder, but what I'm trying to do is going to a psychiatrist, taking medication and I'll start going to therapy again starting this week. I was away for a year and I do miss it, it helped my anxiety a lot.
    I wouldn't consider my brain to be healthy right now, but I am trying.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Come to think of it, I really don't do anything to keep my brain healthy, I just sleep as much as I can and that's about it. I eat vegetables too if that counts.

18. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our college professor in philosophy said that a healthy brain is one that is constantly used. Using the brain is giving it exercise. One good exercise is to think like solving a puzzle or formulating something like a story. My bedtime hobby is to solve the daily crossword puzzle which makes my eyes droop and cause me to sleep. At least I get to exercise my brain. However, too much use of the brain can cause stress that’s why you also have to consider that angle. And I agree with the nutritious food and enough rest and sleep.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Sleeping well, feeding properly (although I can't always do this), practicing physical exercises regularly and literally exercising the mind with games and lots of reading (the good ones, of course :p).

My brain is like an unbreakable fortress. ;)

20. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I have poor memory. It seems its gwtting worse with passing days. I can't remember trivial things let alone conversations before weeks. I don't knkw exactly why I am becoming so forgetful however, I am a vegetarian and I eat good, walk and drink milk. I don't meditate although I know its good for overall health. I also do sudokuz and other mind stimulating games.

I used to love and do a lot of math problems just as a hobby. Of recent I haven't really gotten the opportunity to do them.