How do you keep your collar clean?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by andrew320 • Jun 7, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I've had this problem for ages. I purchase a shirt and within a few months (in one case a couple of weeks) the shirt collar immediately becomes disgusting where it becomes yellow, brown or even black. It has become more ubiquitous as I get older and I don't know what to do. I've read that vinegar helps, but not sure.

How do you, men and women, deal with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I clean my neck - simple as that

3. bsdgds

bsdgdsActive Member

Threads:
    Nice. LOL. I was thinking I never have this problem, but I can see how someone who always wears business wear may have that problem, cause of sweat and daily use.
    I suggest just getting your main work shirts cleaned weekly.

4. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Spay the collar with plain white vinegar until the collar is drenched. Then, blot the stains off the collar, making sure to use a clean portion of the cloth for every blot. Finish by rinsing the collar with cool water.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    My husband has the same problem, and it doesn't matter how clean his neck is, his collars are always grimy after one wearing. I treat them with Vanish before washing in the usual way, and that seems to keep the collars looking nice. Some of his shirts are about 15 years old, and although they look grotty when they go in the wash, they come up looking good. Don't be tempted to wear a shirt for more than one day, as that will encourage the grime to become deeper embedded into the fabric.

6. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Hilarious! Clearly you do not wear an office shirt daily. Cleaning one's neck is pretty self-explanatory but you need a bit more than that in order to keep the build-up from happening...over time, even while cleaning your neck (even scrubbing). Yes, Vanish works amazingly well. White vinegar is another option. Also, starching the collar...so that it does not soften and rub up against the neck all the time.

You will find a solution. All the best.