How do you save money on car maintenance?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by True2marie • Aug 11, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Over the past couple of years, I have noticed the cost of car maintenance has risen. I used to go to Jiffy Lube with a coupon and pay only $20 bucks for changing my car's oil. Now, it's gone up to $45. Some people I know do most of their car maintenance themselves to save money. I am just not savvy enough in this area to get the job done properly.

How do you save money on car maintenance?

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My husband always follows the recommended maintenance schedule. He claims that this is cheaper than skimping on quality oils and extending mileage run after the supposed schedule. We've had our car for five years now and no major breakdown. Even with the rising cost, I think the formula is still a sure fire savings in the long run. Not to mention the high resale value it may garner since we keep all the records.

3. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    You should have the cheapest oil change. Do not pay extra for the auto wash. Do not pay for the wiper blades to get replaced. Try your best to go to the same oil change place. I love the dealership because they have kept my car running for years.
    I always change the brakes, at least 2 each time, whenever the mechanic suggests. I should say 2 weeks after he suggest that I change tires, brakes, or complete the wheel alignment.

4. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I agree the maintenance in my area is almost as high as the gas prices. In my area it cost 50.00 for an oil change and if you go to Walmart its 65.00. I have an uncle that a mechanic and I try my best to let him do all my work but sometimes he busy and I have to go pay those prices.

5. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I try to follow the recommended maintenance schedule too, to help avoid more costly issues down the road. Now saving for big emergencies is something I should do but it can be hard to do but really need to save as much as I can. Unexpected emergencies can really set you back.

6. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The ultimate way to save money on car maintenance is to....

Drum roll please...

Drive carefully and treat your vehicle well!

Yep, driving carefully would definitely save on car maintenance as compared to driving recklessly. When there are potholes, slow down. Don't rev your engines too much. Don't drive like a maniac on the street. I know of one driver (she's an office mate) who drives like a 5 year old. She goes on reverse very fast (she even hit a motor cycle once), likes to overtake even in traffic (she collided with another vehicle at another) and does not use her mirrors well.

Her car looks very miserable now.

7. TuRon Davis

TuRon DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I'm old school, so I have the old fashion barter system for saving money on auto maintaining. I have numerous street mechanics that own their own shops and do great work, also, you can buy generic products that are just as goo as buying the more expensive products. It's always a way to save money for maintenance.

8. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    We pretty much do it ourselves. If it is a problem my husband does not know how to handle, he will ask his dad. If they aren't able to fix it together, we are pretty much screwed. My husband and his dad are very handy and knowledgeable in this area. They know what they are doing and if they can't fix it, that means the problem is bigger than probably what the car is worth!

9. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just do the work yourself. It's incredibly easy, and you can save hundreds of dollars even on the most basic repairs and maintenance items. Otherwise, you'll want to follow the right maintenance schedule to ensure that your vehicle stays running strong. Nothing is worse than people who don't maintain their cars and trucks properly. They wind up losing thousands of dollars needlessly.

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I just follow the easy maintenance tasks illustrated in the car manual: change the oil, check tire pressure, grease certain spot. Quite easy if you don't mind getting a little dirty and it gets even easier with time. These alone save a good amount of cash. For more complicated fixes or checks I go to a neighborhood mechanic that I know and trust. He usually gives me a fair price on repairs.

11. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08Active Member

Threads:
    If anything goes wrong with my car, I normally get my father in law to fix it. He is a great mechanic so I trust him. He also changes my oil, spark plugs and wires every so often to make sure that I am driving safely. The only time I really go to a dealership is if something goes wrong electrically.

12. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    Sadly there are not many things that I can do since I am not able to fix the car on my own if anything goes wrong. The one thing I can do is be extremely careful with it so it doesn't come to the point it needs fixing or something.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have learned to do the basic maintenance myself to save money. There is so much information available now on the internet that is there to help you learn to do things that can save you some money, just take the time to learn how to do them.

14. Cash In Hand

Cash In HandMember

Threads:
    Since I use my personal vehicle for work, I'm a delivery driver for a pharmaceutical company, I can't afford to skimp on maintenance. The pay-off comes in the form of my mileage deductions at tax time and the gas I save by driving a well maintained car.