How Do You Save Money On Fuel?

Discussion in Shopping Discussion started by Denis Hard • Dec 10, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Someone told me that gas cards could be one of the best ways to save money on fuel. You get 5% cashback if you pay for your fuel using a gas card. It does sound good.

But there's also something which can be better. What of discounted gas gift cards? There are people who get them [as gifts] and because they don't intend to used them, sell them on sites where you buy discounted gift cards.

How else do you save money on fuel?

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a great way of cutting fuel costs - however - as gas cards, gas coupons or gas gift cards are not available in all countries - being able to take advantage of deals like this - would I think - very much depend on which country someone was living in.

As unfortunately - even though fuel is extremely expensive where I am and the price you pay can vary greatly depending on what part of the country you are in - it would be a rare thing to find a gas station offering a discount - let alone have the option of using a card or coupon to help reduce the cost of the fuel.

That said - even if you are lucky enough to be able to use gas cards or coupons to cut fuel costs - there are also many others ways in which to make those savings even bigger - for example - you can save even more by

not making unnecessary trips
    avoiding peak traffic times when possible - as sitting in traffic with the engine idling is a real fuel guzzler,
    keeping windows closed and using the air vents instead of the AC - only using the latter when absolutely necessary
    not carrying any unnecessary excess weight
    being light on the gas and brake peddles - by not driving overly fast or aggressively

and more importantly - by keeping vehicles properly maintained and particularly in terms of air filters, tires and engine oil - as running a vehicle with an improperly tuned engine, dirty air filters, under-inflated tires or the wrong engine oil - can increase fuel consumption by a considerably large amount.

3. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    The best way to save money on fuel is to limit your driving, if you can. I try to avoid driving to multiple stores, and plan my errands so that I am not driving back and forth across town in order to save gas.

Also, many gas stations, both corporately and privately owned, have fuel rewards programs, in which members can earn points by buying gas to use on gift cards, mercahndise, or gasoline discounts. I am a member of Speedway's Speedy Rewards program. Furthermore, some grocery stores such as Kroger offer fuel points programs, in which if you use your shopper's card at checkout, you earn points each time you grocery shop, and those points can be redeemed at the Kroger gas station for fuel discounts. I try to only get gas at the gas stations in which I can earn points for rewards or use points for discounts if I can help it.