How do you save money on seasonings and spices?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Jul 22, 2014.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    One of the biggest surprises in my adult life was the cost of seasonings and spices. I had no idea until I moved out on my own that cinnamon, clove and other add-ins that make food taste better were so pricey. So, in order to offset their cost, I get what I can at the Dollar Tree. For others, I try to wait for sales at my favorite grocery store.

Saffron - one of the most expensive spices in the world . . .
    sargol_saffron.

2. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I usually buy my seasonings in bulk at Sam's Club. I can buy a big container of garlic powder at Sam's and it lasts me 4 months where as if I bought a small container at Wal-mart, it would last me only a month. Buying in bulk costs a bit more up front but helps me to save money in the long run.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, so those things are actually expensive? I don't know how to cook so I have no idea that they are. I guess when the time comes that I will be needing them then I will buy them online because most items online are cheaper anyway, plus you can compare the prices of those spices in several stores and just buy the one that is the cheapest among all of the stores that you browsed.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The only spice I use is cayenne. When I buy $5 worth of it, I get enough to last me three months. Because of that I've never had to concern myself too much with ways to save money on spices. Beats me though why people buy expensive spices like saffron yet it has a really terrible taste.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I have to say no to the buying in bulk option. Spices DO expire. You really have to be careful with storage and the amount you have for certain lengths of time. I like to buy my seasonings as whole as possible and break them accordingly in a grinder. I clear out my seasonings and reload at the one year mark. I'm sure two years is reasonable but I can tell the difference in taste. Drives me insane.

#5Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In Miami, we have a cheap Latin brand of spices called Badia. When I need a spice for $1, I buy the Badia brand of cinnamon, garlic powder, whatever. They taste fine to me. I'm not a gourmet cook ,so if the cheaper brand of spices are lower in quality, I haven't noticed it.

7. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I understand what you're saying but I use the spices often enough that I don't have to worry about them expiring. Of course, I also check the expiration date before I buy. Common sense, you know? It goes a long way. :) If it is some obscure spice like saffron or something like that where I know I won't use it that much or only need it for a dish I make once every 6 months then of course I will buy it fresh. In the kitchen, its all about finding what works for you. What might be a big NO for you or an unnecessary short-cut might be the difference to me in stretching my paycheck a few dollars further.

8. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Saffron does taste terrible. However, I am curious how you cook only with cayenne. I think this seasoning definitely has a great flavor, but so does garlic salt.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't really paid much attention to the price of the spices and dried herbs that I buy. Here where I live even organic seasonings don't cost much. And as I only buy them when I run out, I can't say that I am spending a whole lot of money on them. Usually they are between 1-3 euros, which I find very affordable as they generally last me for a month and more.

10. fanaledrinks112

fanaledrinks112New Member

Threads:
    The more I learn about saving cash on food, the madder I get with myself when I knowingly waste money. While this holds true for every aspect of grocery shopping, it’s double the fury when it comes to McCormick-style seasoning packets. Why? Well, almost any pre-packaged spice mix, rub, or powder can be made at home for a fraction of the price. Oftentimes, it’ll taste better, too.