How do you save money when it comes to Commuting to work?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Kaybee517 • Aug 11, 2012.

1. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    How do you save money when it comes to commuting to and from work? I use mass transit where I am and pay to ride the express bus. It saves me the cost of gas each week and daily price of parking, not to mention the wear and tear on the car in maintenance. The bonus is its clean and comfy although in traffic or bad weather a very long ride (90min-2hrs).How do you get to work? Does the method you use save you money or is it more for convenience?

2. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm the same way. I don't think it's worth having a car any more if I can manage to use public transportation. Even when the fares go up or it seems like it's a lot, it's still cheaper than having a car. Like you said, the maintenance itself can be pretty costly plus insurance? Holy cow, it can add up fast.

3. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    An all-day fare bus pass where I live costs $3, $1 if you can get the discount pricing. Monthly passes cost even less. Of course you could ride your bike to work if you within a couple miles or less. Carpooling is always an option if you know people who are going to the same area as you.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do ride the bus when ever I can but it takes so long to get somewhere in my area. It takes me 3-4 hours of travel to do about 3 hours of work. I had a car and plan to replace the car very soon due to the amount of time it takes for me to get to the places I need to go to work. I do freelance work, traveling around.

5. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I work from home most of the time. My husband has started riding his bicycle to work.. this keeps him fit and has reduced our gas bills by about 80%. He is so thrilled with himself and wows that he will continue this as long as he can.

6. Yurika

YurikaActive Member

Threads:
    Keep walking to work place when it doesn't rain. But i do it not for saving any money, just for exercise.

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I live in a very rural area and really have no other option but my car to get to work. I only have about a 20 minute commute so it is not too far to go. Several years ago, I bought a car that gets good gas mileage (30MPG+) which now, I am so glad that I did. One tip that I learned years ago was to try to coast to your stops as much as possible. I also try to watch out for gas price increases and decreases so I can buy gas when it is lowest. I will also check gas prices on local websites that will give you the lowest gas prices in the area.

8. skyby7

skyby7New Member

Threads:
    My city has one of the best bus services in North-America and I purchase a monthly bus pass, which costs me about 76$.

I enjoy taking the bus very much, you meet people, see weird people, and riding it gives you time to read, listen to music and do many other things while getting to and from work.
    Some days I take my car, cause I own a very powerful Nissan Maxima 2007 with a V6 engine and 300 Horsepower. Helps me cheer up on slow days. I like driving, but the cost is high!

Anyone else do this?

9. riku517

riku517New Member

Threads:
    I usually opt out of taking the bus due to the need for at least two different bus transfers and about an hour an a half to get to class on time. Whenever I drive, it takes me about 20-30 minutes to get to class. I give myself plenty of time to make my daily commute and never try to be an aggressive driver. The more I relax and take my time, the less gas I waste and I'll arrive to class in a fairly happy mood (as long as it isn't exam day).

10. melovesengland

melovesenglandMember

Threads:
    My husband use an all day fare for the bus before when he worked in the town centre which helped a lot but now luckily hes got a company car with free petrol.

11. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I carpool with a neighbor so that cuts down on expenses. I walk to work sometimes. It an hour walk but I enjoy it on a beautiful morning. It is a great way to start the day. I live on the bus route so if need be I can hop on a bus for $2.75 and get to work that way. You can buy 10 of 20 rides cards or monthly passes which makes the rides even cheaper.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Going to the same place everyday for years, I eventually molded a routine that suited me which was to get a regular pass card for the train so I won't have to fall in line each trip. It was the most practical choice for me since traffic is heavy during rush hour and I'm not even that big on driving to begin with, but admittedly it's still not as convenient because you'd have to walk a bit instead of just getting in your car from home and driving to your destination, but I did get to save a lot of my salary because I didn't have to pay as much as I would have if I had to pay for gas daily so the advantages and disadvantages, for me is sort of even.

13. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever heard of hypermiling?
    It something I just started learning about and can't wait to try it out!

14. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Another semi-rural dweller here, so biking and public transit aren’t options for me. I wish they were. But in the meantime, I just try to follow the general gas-saving techniques - don’t drive too fast, take it easy on the brakes/coast to stops whenever possible, etc. The commute for my most recent project was 25-30 minutes depending on the day, so it really helped.

15. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Live close to the place where you work but only if the rent isn't too high. There'd be no need to pay more when you could save a little bit of money if it would cost you less money if you were commuting to work each day [using public transport].

You could also ask your boss about commuting benefits.

An employer in the United States may provide transportation benefits to their employees that are tax free up to a certain limit.

16. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually walk to work, half an hour each way. If it's raining then I'll wear my waterproofs and change into my office clothes when I get there.

My workplace allows people to buy year long travel tickets using a "salary sacrifice" scheme, where monthly payments are taken before any tax is deducted. Lots of my colleagues take advantage of this scheme as the 12 month cards offer huge discounts.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My sister's boyfriend and my sister have a lot of problems when it comes to this. They have to spend almost £100 a week in indoor for him to be able to get to work. Sometimes she can take him to work, but then he has to walk or catch an expensive taxi whenever she cannot take him. Now they've got new bikes, so I am not sure if he is going to start riding to work or not. But the price of the commute has definitely been taking a toll.

18. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to take the bus when we had no car yet. Compared to other transportation, the bus is much cheaper than using a car because the gasoline is expensive and the car's maintenance is exorbitant. However, traveling by public transport is very inconvenient and the car is like heaven compared to it. So now it's the car for me anytime.

19. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I work at home so it I not a problem for me. When I used to work on the outside., I would try to find jobs that were close by. It is one of the things that you need to do and take care of since spending all of your time in your vehicle is not fun. I don't care how much money you are being paid..

20. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, the bus is another option. But some people that I know - who cannot drive themselves on the commute to work yet - work at night time, and the bus run is over by then, and so the only choice that there is is getting a taxi cab, which I'm sure everyone knows can be very expensive, especially when each trip there and back costs the sum of £20 for more than a couple of days a week.